A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil  (Read 106954 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #420 on: February 23, 2020, 02:10:37 PM »
I've made a few 12" Malnati's-style pies recently.  This is after not having made any deep dish since about 2010 or 2011.  The pies have been turning out pretty well.  This one has about 1 lb of Garvey's sausage, sauteed shrooms, black olives, and green pepper.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #421 on: February 23, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »
I've made a few 12" Malnati's-style pies recently.  This is after not having made any deep dish since about 2010 or 2011.  The pies have been turning out pretty well.  This one has about 1 lb of Garvey's sausage, sauteed shrooms, black olives, and green pepper.

Wow....jus wow!!   :o

Great pizza making CDN.... You've got this down.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline briansemerick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #422 on: February 24, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
Will give this a shot.  I love Lou's and order it often.  My only issue with them is the visual - a slice looks really sad, since they don't keep a solid shape.  I wish they didn't just deflate and spread out after being served.

What's the best current recipe for a 14" deep pan?  Just got a few 14 x 2" tin plated steel pans that I seasoned (like the pro's ;) )
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:58:26 AM by briansemerick »

Offline briansemerick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #423 on: February 24, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
Try fresh yeast for beer flavor.  Huge difference.

What do you mean by "fresh yeast"?  Because I have sourdough starter I use for my bread - is that it?

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »
Will give this a shot.  I love Lou's and order it often.  My only issue with them is the visual - a slice looks really sad, since they don't keep a solid shape.  I wish they didn't just deflate and spread out after being served.

What's the best current recipe for a 14" deep pan?  Just got a few 14 x 2" tin plated steel pans that I seasoned (like the pro's ;) )

For lack of extensive experimentation, I've been happy with the formula below.  For 14" DD with the following variables, the calculator is giving me a total dough ball weight of 733.16 grams

0.12 Thickness Factor
14" Diameter
Dough 1.4" up the sides of the pan
46% hydration
0% bowl residue compensation

100%          flour blend*     (434.07 grams)
   *95%       AP flour           (412.37 grams)
   *5%         semolina         (21.70 grams)
46%           water              (199.67 grams)
14%           corn oil            (60.77 grams)
7%             vegetable oil    (30.39 grams)
0.61%        IDY                 (2.65 grams)
0.75%        salt                 (3.27 grams)
0.54%        sugar              (2.34 grams)             
168.90%     Total               (733.16 grams)

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2020, 01:03:04 PM »
I'd also guesstimate approximately 19-20oz each of cheese and sausage for a 14" DD.  At least that's what I'd try as a starting point if I had a 14" pan.  I make 9" pies with about 8oz each of cheese and sausage, and I make 12" pies with about 14oz of each.  Scaling those up for a 14" pie, it's about 19oz.

YMMV depending on the variety and quantity of toppings you prefer.

Offline briansemerick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #426 on: February 24, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
For lack of extensive experimentation, I've been happy with the formula below.  For 14" DD with the following variables, the calculator is giving me a total dough ball weight of 733.16 grams

0.12 Thickness Factor
14" Diameter
Dough 1.4" up the sides of the pan
46% hydration
0% bowl residue compensation

100%          flour blend*     (434.07 grams)
   *95%       AP flour           (412.37 grams)
   *5%         semolina         (21.70 grams)
46%           water              (199.67 grams)
14%           corn oil            (60.77 grams)
7%             vegetable oil    (30.39 grams)
0.61%        IDY                 (2.65 grams)
0.75%        salt                 (3.27 grams)
0.54%        sugar              (2.34 grams)             
168.90%     Total               (733.16 grams)

Thanks!

For the cheese it's slices, right?  Like Peaquod's.  Otherwise I figure the crust would get soggy like it has before when I've tried.

I always modified my tomatoes by processing them a bit, since I hate chunks.  But I do drain that some before use, so it's more like a paste.

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2020, 01:34:14 PM »
Thanks!

For the cheese it's slices, right?  Like Peaquod's.  Otherwise I figure the crust would get soggy like it has before when I've tried.

I always modified my tomatoes by processing them a bit, since I hate chunks.  But I do drain that some before use, so it's more like a paste.

Correct, most people advise using cheese slices, and that's what I do as well.  All mozzarella, or a mixture of mozzarella and provolone if you like.  Either way is very tasty, but you get a little more flavor by adding in the provolone. 

I like to crush canned tomatoes by hand and then drain them thoroughly after crushing.  If you're going to process them more than that, you might want to crush, then drain, then blend further.  Season after you're finished draining.

With a little practice, you'll be thrilled how much better your homemade pizza will be than a Lou's takeout.

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »
What do you mean by "fresh yeast"?  Because I have sourdough starter I use for my bread - is that it?

No, not a starter.  Fresh yeast, or cake yeast, is a non-dehydrated, soft solid form of baker's yeast that's typically found in the refrigerated section of grocery stores, probably near the butter.  It's more perishable than active dry yeast or instant yeast, and not every store will carry it.

Offline briansemerick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
No, not a starter.  Fresh yeast, or cake yeast, is a non-dehydrated, soft solid form of baker's yeast that's typically found in the refrigerated section of grocery stores, probably near the butter.  It's more perishable than active dry yeast or instant yeast, and not every store will carry it.
Correct, most people advise using cheese slices, and that's what I do as well.  All mozzarella, or a mixture of mozzarella and provolone if you like.  Either way is very tasty, but you get a little more flavor by adding in the provolone. 

I like to crush canned tomatoes by hand and then drain them thoroughly after crushing.  If you're going to process them more than that, you might want to crush, then drain, then blend further.  Season after you're finished draining.

With a little practice, you'll be thrilled how much better your homemade pizza will be than a Lou's takeout.

Thanks and thanks!

anyone know what Lou's does for the buttercrust?

Offline CMC

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2020, 02:46:31 PM »
Thanks and thanks!

anyone know what Lou's does for the buttercrust?

IIRC, the dough is brushed with melted butter after being pressed into the pan, before applying the cheese.

Offline bgramer

• I Love Pizza!
https://www.instagram.com/bgramer/

I baked a Lou's clone using the recipes and processes discussed here. Thanks to everyone posting in this thread for helping surface up all the small details through the questioning.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:57:26 AM by bgramer »

Offline Pizza Journey

• I Love Pizza!
I made this tonight because I had a lot of toppings/cheese I had to use before they went bad. First time ever making Chicago deep dish, it was truly delicious! Flaky crust! Great recipe.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I made this tonight because I had a lot of toppings/cheese I had to use before they went bad. First time ever making Chicago deep dish, it was truly delicious! Flaky crust! Great recipe.
   That looks great PJ.... Especially for a first go round. Excellent!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nickyr

Up to 19 oz of mozzarella...over twice the original recipe in this thread based on feedback from my friend from Chicago. It was delicious. This had onions, garlic, peppers, and beyond meat sausage. Shouldíve done a bit less sauce but it was delicious.

Still loving this dough recipe, thanks again!

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
100,000+ views and this isn't a sticky? Got me wondering...what's a LOU, and do I need to make one?
Reesa

Offline nickyr

100,000+ views and this isn't a sticky? Got me wondering...what's a LOU, and do I need to make one?
https://www.loumalnatis.com/

I havenít had a lot of deep dish in my life but Louís is the best Iíve had because their crust is so so good.

You probably do need to make one. I like eating pizzas before I try making them, but apparently you can order frozen pizzas from Louís and theyíll ship them and I hear that actually turns out quite well.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Reesa,

As I was catching up with this thread about a minute ago, and after seeing Nick's pizza and the number of page views, and before seeing your post, I said to myself that I was going to make the thread a sticky.  After signing off on this post, I will make the thread a sticky.

Peter

Offline nickyr

Tonight's Lou. Butter flavored crisco in the pan is night and day vs oil
« Reply #438 on: July 25, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
Reesa,

As I was catching up with this thread about a minute ago, and after seeing Nick's pizza and the number of page views, and before seeing your post, I said to myself that I was going to make the thread a sticky.  After signing off on this post, I will make the thread a sticky.

Peter
Congrats, pythonic!

And thanks, Peter!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:45:25 PM by nickyr »

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
This deep style is something I have never tried, is it like a Grimaldi pie? Never been there, but I think they make deep dish.
It looks good.  :drool:
I think I will try it next time. Pizza making has slowed to a crawl here...so I guess a little reading is in order to try and get the gist of it all before I attempt it in a week or so.
Reesa

wordpress