A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Our family's Coney Island chili  (Read 9160 times)

Offline FeCheF

Re: Our family's Coney Island chili
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »
Interesting!  Where do you get a true coney island?  Apparently, coney islands arose independently several times in the USA.  The coneys I researched in Oklahoma (where Nick's grandfather's restaurant was) all used yellow mustard.  Also, the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog) indicates that yellow mustard is used, and it's mentioned several times on the page, but there isn't a single mention of brown mustard.  Can you tell me more about the true coney island?  thanks!

This hasn't been my experience *at all*.  The mustard *makes* the coney.  It's just not the same thing without it! 

I was born & raised on the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin, so I know a thing or two about sausages, sauerkraut, and mustard.    :chef:

Well, living between Philly, and NY, i have had my fare share of visits to Coney Island. So i think i can at least speak for what goes on a "Coney" Nathan's has been a staple for as long as i can remember. If you want to try their Mustard, Here is a amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIOLRYY/?tag=pmak-20

I also took the liberty to include a picture.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »
Needless to say, I am full, all and all VERY GOOD! Next time I will grind my own burger, as the extended cook broke down the store bought fine ground burger too much and got a bit grainy. Other than that all quite tasty. And the spiral cut dogs are an engineering thing, keeping the goodies from sliding out! All done on the grill including the final melt and bun toasting!!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:49:31 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2020, 08:06:37 PM »
Those look absolutely amazing Jon!    :drool:

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:02 PM »
Those look absolutely amazing Jon!    :drool:

^^^
Carl

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
I MUST TRY THIS! So did anyone ever posted an edited recipe I remember when I 1st found this thread some people were struggling with the amounts of some of the ingredients (that would be me lol) I suppose bakers percentages won't work for something that's not baked. And I surely don't need to make 3.5lb of it, as I'll eat it on everything.

I wanna get the Boar's Head snap dogs and try this before the weeks over.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
I MUST TRY THIS! So did anyone ever posted an edited recipe I remember when I 1st found this thread some people were struggling with the amounts of some of the ingredients (that would be me lol) I suppose bakers percentages won't work for something that's not baked. And I surely don't need to make 3.5lb of it, as I'll eat it on everything.

You could try my post here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30542.msg639945#msg639945

That's the spice combo I used in baker's percents.  I did up the cumin +50% to be in more in the range Nick indicated as his final amount.  Unfortunately Nick isn't here to judge how close it is  :-\
Carl

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »
Needless to say, I am full, all and all VERY GOOD! Next time I will grind my own burger, as the extended cook broke down the store bought fine ground burger too much and got a bit grainy. Other than that all quite tasty. And the spiral cut dogs are an engineering thing, keeping the goodies from sliding out! All done on the grill including the final melt and bun toasting!!!

those look great Jon.   I'm stuffed as well and I ate a couple hours ago.   I will post after i'm finish working.
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
Tough following Jon.  I am crazy busy with work so quick threw the chili together yesterday.  I put it in the crockpot to finish off today.   At lunch time I ate some while getting the seasoning correct.   For dinner I did a quick Hummel Brothers dog and Martin's potato roll.  Some cheddar under the chili.   Very good, I will do this again when I have time to grill it like Jon did. 

This one's for you Nick, you are missed around here. 

Deb

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
This is an awesome tribute. They all look great. Didn't get a chance join in this time but look forward to giving this a go sometime.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »

There is nothing wrong with the recipe. All i can say is this, try a small batch with a LOT of cumin. Its Money. Mayben its not what you think of when you t6hink of a chili dog, but, there is no mistake in this recipe, trust me on that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:30:02 PM by FeCheF »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2020, 09:29:35 PM »
Yes, I think Nick is giving a thumbs up, wishing he could join in some how! He'll have a tray of them waiting for us when we get there!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
Yes, I think Nick is giving a thumbs up, wishing he could join in some how! He'll have a tray of them waiting for us when we get there!!!

Yes, Nick, is giving a thumbs up in heaven. I bet he is glad we are all using his recipe, as thats what he wanted.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
Hey Jon, What dogs are you using? I get he spriral cut to hold all the fixings, but You should try a natural casing dog, but dont let it burst. There is an art to it., like making a dippy egg and not letting the yoke break. lol

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2020, 09:44:13 PM »

Yes, you're correct, many of us have been confused by the recipe.  The cumin and chili powder are given in ounces, which most of originally interpreted as being mass units.  However, later in the thread, it was mentioned that these are actually volume (not mass) units.  If you accidentally use mass units, you're using about twice as much cumin and chili powder as you should be.   :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2020, 09:57:39 PM »
Well, living between Philly, and NY, i have had my fare share of visits to Coney Island. So i think i can at least speak for what goes on a "Coney" Nathan's has been a staple for as long as i can remember. If you want to try their Mustard, Here is a amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIOLRYY/?tag=pmak-20

I also took the liberty to include a picture.

After a bit more reading, I've learned that coney islands didn't originate on Coney Island, they were just named after it by immigrant restaurant owners who passed through Ellis Island (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_(restaurant), https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog).  The first Coney Island restaurant was in Michigan, and it definately seems a primarily Midwestern thing.  Also, it does appear that a 'true' coney island uses yellow (not brown) mustard.  Just thought I'd clarify because although it seems silly, I personally think it's important.   :chef:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:12:15 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »
Hey Jon, What dogs are you using? I get he spriral cut to hold all the fixings, but You should try a natural casing dog, but dont let it burst. There is an art to it., like making a dippy egg and not letting the yoke break. lol

These are natural casing, Ambassador weenies from Costco! Hard to beat for otc wieners.
Jon

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2020, 10:07:12 PM »
These are natural casing, Ambassador weenies from Costco! Hard to beat for otc wieners.

I will have to see if they carry those in Canada!  I've struggled to find good natural casing dogs.  I was buying 'european franks' for some time, since they have that snappy casing, but they're still not quite an American hot dog.  Then I found some hot dogs from a local butcher at Whole Foods, but it would be nice to have a Costco option too.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2020, 10:14:40 PM »
To be honest, it was 6 Ambassador and 3 crappy grease tubes my wife bought that were in the fridge and decided to cook them all, thinking the grill could save the ones she bought. I just took a bite of the crappy ones and spit it out, no comparison!
Jon

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2020, 10:43:00 PM »
Like most recipes, I inched to Nick’s ingredients and stopped when it got to what I liked and took a few liberties to embellish it to my tastes. I think he would have been fine with that, he or anyone,  would want you to taylor to your liking! It was a fun thing and I made a buttload, about 4 pounds worth for the freezer!
Jon

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2020, 02:27:38 PM »
Lunch today, last hotdog from the pack, last hotdog for a while!
Carl