A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 386624 times)

Offline PizzAmateur

• There is nothing wrong with pizza 3 times a day.
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #3720 on: July 02, 2019, 03:26:58 AM »
No problemski pizza pal.  8)

You folks are SICK!!!

I like that... >:D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 03:28:44 AM by PizzAmateur »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #3721 on: July 02, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »
I see them, Norma, but WHAT ARE THEY DOING THERE??  :-D

Tony,

Peter explained the back story about Sukie the pig at Reply 2748 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30641.msg450562#msg450562

Since Peter mentioned Sukie different times, I have included the piggies in posts when I thought the pizzas turned out well.  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3722 on: July 02, 2019, 10:15:46 PM »
Luis and Martin with pizzas today.  Cell takes lousy photos sometimes. Pizzas looked better in person.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3723 on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »

Dynomite Norma!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3724 on: July 02, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »
Luis and Martin with pizzas today.  Cell takes lousy photos sometimes. Pizzas looked better in person.

Norma
Luis is looking good. Iím trying to remember what I was doing 9-10 days out. Probably going to a doctor appointment.  ;)
-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3725 on: July 03, 2019, 07:16:11 AM »
Luis is looking good. Iím trying to remember what I was doing 9-10 days out. Probably going to a doctor appointment.  ;)

Tony,

Would be interesting to know what you experienced 9-10 days out. 

Luis is doing pretty good, but is having some problems.  He did go to the hospital everyday, but it is not going that many times right now.  One thing the doctors say is to walk more to build up his strength.  He used to love grilled burgers but can't stand them right now, along with other foods he used to like.  Was the same thing with pizza, but his taste for it is coming back.  Luis does have a mild case of graft versus host disease since he received his stems cells from his mother and has to take medication to control that.  Doctors told Luis if he develops any rashes, or get a fever over 100 degrees F to get right to the hospital.  His white blood cell count goes up and down, but the doctors say that is normal right now.  Luis has to stay out of the sun too.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/physically/gvhd/about

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3726 on: July 03, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »
Tony,

Would be interesting to know what you experienced 9-10 days out. 

Luis is doing pretty good, but is having some problems.  He did go to the hospital everyday, but it is not going that many times right now.  One thing the doctors say is to walk more to build up his strength.  He used to love grilled burgers but can't stand them right now, along with other foods he used to like.  Was the same thing with pizza, but his taste for it is coming back.  Luis does have a mild case of graft versus host disease since he received his stems cells from his mother and has to take medication to control that.  Doctors told Luis if he develops any rashes, or get a fever over 100 degrees F to get right to the hospital.  His white blood cell count goes up and down, but the doctors say that is normal right now.  Luis has to stay out of the sun too.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/physically/gvhd/about

Norma
That all sounds fairly normal to me, Norma. I am fortunate that I do not have to deal with GFHD and to have banked enough stem cells for another 3-4 transplants, if necessary. From the time I received the Melphalan until 2 months or more later I could not stand water. I made myself drink a couple glasses a day but most of my intake was from several bottles of Gatorade every day. After being a heavy coffee drinker since about age 18, I did not have any nor miss it, for about 8 weeks. Even now I drink just one cup in the morning. Although bread, pizza, etc. tasted good do me I could only eat a small serving (couple ounces) before I just couldnít break it down in my mouth -like chewing it over and over but not able to swallow it. After being discharged for just 3 days I had to go back with a fever for 6 more days. That was a real bummer. Tell him to keep walking, it helps.

-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3727 on: July 03, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
That all sounds fairly normal to me, Norma. I am fortunate that I do not have to deal with GFHD and to have banked enough stem cells for another 3-4 transplants, if necessary. From the time I received the Melphalan until 2 months or more later I could not stand water. I made myself drink a couple glasses a day but most of my intake was from several bottles of Gatorade every day. After being a heavy coffee drinker since about age 18, I did not have any nor miss it, for about 8 weeks. Even now I drink just one cup in the morning. Although bread, pizza, etc. tasted good do me I could only eat a small serving (couple ounces) before I just couldnít break it down in my mouth -like chewing it over and over but not able to swallow it. After being discharged for just 3 days I had to go back with a fever for 6 more days. That was a real bummer. Tell him to keep walking, it helps.

Tony,

Thanks for saying all of that sounds fairly normal to you.  Yes, you are fortunate you didn't have to deal with GFHD because you have banked enough of your own stem cells for another 3-4 transplants.  Sure hope you don't need anymore.  Thanks for telling us what you couldn't stand.  That is something that although you still liked bread, pizza, etc., you could only eat a small serving because of not being able to break it down in your mouth.  Sorry to hear you had to go back into the hospital after being discharge for just 3 days.  Yes, that sure was a bummer.  :(

Talked to Luis this morning and he said he could eat 1 Ĺ slices of pizza yesterday.  Usually he can eat half of a pizza.  Will tell Luis you said to told him to walk.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3728 on: July 11, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
Got tired of going to Rest. Depot in Harrisburg, Pa. to get the GM Full Strength flour, and having my daughter lugging it around for me. 

Called my one distributor that delivers to market on a Tuesday.  Since Hometown Provisions has been bought out by Clark's, https://www.clarkassociatesinc.biz/ceo-letter-2018 thought maybe they might carry the GM Full Strength flour.  Was happy to hear they did carry it now.  Got the first delivery two weeks ago and the delivery driver did put the flour under where I make pizzas on a Tuesday very quickly.  He lifted two 50 lb. bags of flour at once and put them under together.  :o Did that two times.  Lucky to have found another way to get this flour.

The one thing I wonder about though is the GM Full Strength Flour is unbleached, when I think the other Full Strength was bleached.  Having a hard time understanding what differences there might be, and how the difference can affect my doughs.  Any help?  My doughs this week were highly fermented till Tuesday.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:05:14 AM by norma427 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3729 on: July 11, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
I have never seen that!   I always just see bleached/bromated or unbleached unbromated.   Looking forward to your findings.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3730 on: July 11, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
I have never seen that!   I always just see bleached/bromated or unbleached unbromated.   Looking forward to your findings.

Thanks so much scottr!  I don't think I have seen this version of GM Full Strength either.  So far don't think it needs as much hydration, or at least it seemed that way coming out of the Hobart mixer.  Was only using 61 hydration and the the dough batches were very sticky.

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3731 on: July 11, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »
Norma,

From what I understand, and what Nicky Giusto, as well as TG have told me, is that bleached flour uses a chemical bleaching agent to shorten/speed up the aging process of the flour, whereas unbleached flour ages naturally. Thatís why TGís Artisan 00 is aged at least for six weeks before it goes out to customers.

Regarding the effects it might have on a finished product, bleached flour produces a lighter crumb with a tad more volume compared to unbleached flour. However, unbleached flours provide a better structure which is good for pizza. If you want to combat the possible loss of volume, I would just add a bit more water to your formula and see how that works out.

Maybe the Doc can give you a more in-depth explanation on this.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:48:00 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3732 on: July 11, 2019, 09:31:35 PM »
Norma,

From what I understand, and what Nicky Giusto, as well as TG have told me, is that bleached flour uses a chemical bleaching agent to shorten/speed up the aging process of the flour, whereas unbleached flour ages naturally. Thatís why TGís Artisan 00 is aged at least for six weeks before it goes out to customers.

Regarding the effects it might have on a finished product, bleached flour produces a lighter crumb with a tad more volume compared to unbleached flour. However, unbleached flours provide a better structure which is good for pizza. If you want to combat the possible loss of volume, I would just add a bit more water to your formula and see how that works out.

Maybe the Doc can give you a more in-depth explanation on this.

Mike,

Thanks for telling me from what you understand, and what Nicky Giusto, as well as TG has told told you, is that bleached flour uses a chemical bleaching agent to shorten/speed up the aging process of flour, whereas unbleached flour ages naturally. 

What really is the difference in the finished product if the bleached flour produces a lighter crumb with a tad more volume compared to the unbleached flours and a better structure/  As I posted in my last reply I thought the dough batches were all too sticky coming out of the mixer.  I had dropped the water some, but then I didn't have a formulation figured out to really see what the last two doughs hydrations were. 

I might ask Tom Lehmann more if I can't get the new flour figured out, but they don't look that different to me.

Specs for the GM Full Strength bleached/bromated/enriched/malted.

https://www.generalmillscf.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=53381000

Specs for the GM Full Strength Baker's flour enriched/unbleached/bromated.

https://www.generalmillscf.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=53391000

Norma

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3733 on: August 07, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
where art thou norma?
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3734 on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
where art thou norma?

OD,

Am still here.   :-D  Been dealing with a bunch of leftover things from my Mother's passing in the past two weeks.  Would like to get it all wrapped up, but not sure if that is possible.  Drives me nuts! 

Norma

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3735 on: August 07, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »
where art thou norma?

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?  It is the east, and Norma is the sun.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3736 on: August 07, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »
But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?  It is the east, and Norma is the sun.

Rolls

Rolls, 

You are a poet!  ;D  Am not worthy of of that though.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3737 on: August 21, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
Don't know how long Adam Kuban's story will last on Instagram (seems like they only last 24 hours unless they are highlighted.

https://help.instagram.com/1729008150678239

This was Adam's story about visiting market yesterday, if anyone is interested.  It worked out well that we weren't as busy in the afternoon so we could chat and Adam could make some pizzas. 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18058670269157483/

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3738 on: August 21, 2019, 09:54:23 PM »
Don't know how long Adam Kuban's story will last on Instagram (seems like they only last 24 hours unless they are highlighted.

https://help.instagram.com/1729008150678239

This was Adam's story about visiting market yesterday, if anyone is interested.  It worked out well that we weren't as busy in the afternoon so we could chat and Adam could make some pizzas. 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18058670269157483/

Norma
can you post a straight link...?

I don't have login for face ass or insta gratification.... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3739 on: August 21, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
can you post a straight link...?

I don't have login for face ass or insta gratification.... ;)

Bob,

Maybe you have to follow Adam's Instagram page.  Am not sure how that works.  Sorry

Norma