A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 400404 times)

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #3920 on: March 09, 2020, 05:13:54 PM »
Hi Norma,

I could tell I hadn't made pizza for a couple of weeks because I was really off my game on Sunday!  hahah  I got my Detriot dough out of the fridge and into the pans to rise and forgot to pull out the NY dough before we left for church, so it only warmed a little bit before I opened it but it all worked out okay.  I also realized I didn't have enough sauce so I had to throw that together really fast too.  It's amazing how quickly I lost my workflow edge after missing two weeks.   :o

The pizzas tasted good!

Scott

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #3921 on: March 09, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »
Hi Norma,

I could tell I hadn't made pizza for a couple of weeks because I was really off my game on Sunday!  hahah  I got my Detriot dough out of the fridge and into the pans to rise and forgot to pull out the NY dough before we left for church, so it only warmed a little bit before I opened it but it all worked out okay.  I also realized I didn't have enough sauce so I had to throw that together really fast too.  It's amazing how quickly I lost my workflow edge after missing two weeks.   :o

The pizzas tasted good!

Scott

Scott,

Nice pizza's!  ;D  How did you like the milled whole wheat and did the rye make any difference?

Norma

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3922 on: March 12, 2020, 02:24:56 PM »
Norma,

I liked the flavor of the crust but I didn't notice a big difference in taste over not adding the milled whole wheat.  The rye seems to do more for the flavor in my opinion.  I bought some spelt so I'm going to try some of that in the dough this week and see how that goes.

Scott

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3923 on: March 12, 2020, 11:26:52 PM »
Norma,

I liked the flavor of the crust but I didn't notice a big difference in taste over not adding the milled whole wheat.  The rye seems to do more for the flavor in my opinion.  I bought some spelt so I'm going to try some of that in the dough this week and see how that goes.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for telling me you didn't notice a big difference when adding the milled whole wheat.  You might be on to something in thinking the rye seems to do more for flavor. :)

If you want to see where I was playing around with the Ischia starter and a biga, thought there was a good result at Reply 69 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59940.msg603711#msg603711 Used some rye flour in the biga and like the results.

Norma

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #3924 on: March 21, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »
I'm so proud of you Norma. All the good work and what you've done with your pizza making, it's awesome.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline jsaras

« Reply #3925 on: March 21, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
Norma,

Scott

If I remember correctly, Matt Hyland (Emmy's Squared) uses 2% rye in at least some of his doughs. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3926 on: March 22, 2020, 08:03:47 AM »
I'm so proud of you Norma. All the good work and what you've done with your pizza making, it's awesome.

Bill,

Thanks and great to hear from you again!  Are you still making your beautiful pizza's,  ;D  and how much have you son's grown up since you last posted?  Are they still helping to make pizza's?

I won't be at market for awhile because of the virus.  Not sure if Root's will be open or not as of today, but I don't want to take the chance of going and being so close to all of those people.  Remember I am now elderly.   :-D

Been working on painting and fixing up my place, so making any pizza's for awhile is out for me.

Norma 

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #3927 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
Bill,

Thanks and great to hear from you again!  Are you still making your beautiful pizza's,  ;D  and how much have you son's grown up since you last posted?  Are they still helping to make pizza's?

I won't be at market for awhile because of the virus.  Not sure if Root's will be open or not as of today, but I don't want to take the chance of going and being so close to all of those people.  Remember I am now elderly.   :-D

Been working on painting and fixing up my place, so making any pizza's for awhile is out for me.

Norma

Norma,
Wow, the boys are big now and the oldest is about to graduate high school. Amazing isn't it.

I haven't made a pie in probably 6 years. But I've been thinking about getting back into it. Luckily I have a good memory.. and many records here in the site of what I was doing and why. However my oldest and I did sit and make a nice giant rustic loaf of bread yesterday, it turned out awesome. Not bad for going just off memory and everyone was amazed with it.

We topped a few slices with some good OO, some good big slices of pepperoni and fresh mozz , then crisped it up in the oven. The boys were flabbergasted at good it was. The looks on their faces was priceless. Wasn't bad for a recipe I just made up on the spot. Now they are wanting to bake again today so I guess I \ they will be doing that today.

I check in here from time to time but usually just keep a low profile. But really I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you and what you've done with your pizza knowledge. Good work girl, good work.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3928 on: March 23, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »

Norma,
Wow, the boys are big now and the oldest is about to graduate high school. Amazing isn't it.

I haven't made a pie in probably 6 years. But I've been thinking about getting back into it. Luckily I have a good memory.. and many records here in the site of what I was doing and why. However my oldest and I did sit and make a nice giant rustic loaf of bread yesterday, it turned out awesome. Not bad for going just off memory and everyone was amazed with it.

We topped a few slices with some good OO, some good big slices of pepperoni and fresh mozz , then crisped it up in the oven. The boys were flabbergasted at good it was. The looks on their faces was priceless. Wasn't bad for a recipe I just made up on the spot. Now they are wanting to bake again today so I guess I \ they will be doing that today.

I check in here from time to time but usually just keep a low profile. But really I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you and what you've done with your pizza knowledge. Good work girl, good work.

Bill,

Yes, it is amazing that your boys are big now and the oldest is about to graduate high school.  I recall your boys at Reply 2 and 3 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9768.msg84806#msg84806

You should get back to making pizza's.  Bet your boys would be amazed how great they are!  Glad to hear you made a nice rustic loaf yesterday and it turned out awesome.  Would have loved to see the look on their faces when they tasted it.

Please post photos when you are making pizza's again!  ;D

Thanks again for your kind remarks.  I went over to market yesterday to put some regular stuff away and cleaning stuff away.  Especially the Steramine tablets, bleach, antibacterial hand soap and QuikSan surface sanitizer.  Some of those things were stolen last week. Root's will be open again this week as of today.  It was a little sad being at market yesterday.  Most of my surrounding standholders won't be there this week.

Norma