A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Pizza Bible  (Read 88942 times)

Offline mitchjg

Re: The Pizza Bible
« Reply #280 on: May 22, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
What works for some do not work for others. I have found trying to follow The Pizza Bible has just been a disaster. I have zero clue how and I would LOVE to see Tony remove plastic wrap from off the top of the dough w/out completely destroying it.

If you are fermenting your doughs on a tray covered with plastic wrap, it is not terribly unusual to get sticking.  The solution is pretty darn simple - give it a shot of PAM (or similar) on top before covering with plastic wrap.  Or, you could brush the top of the dough with a very light coating of vegetable oil.  No big deal.

You can ferment in a container or whatever you do already for a "normal" recipe if that works better for you in avoiding the dough ball sticking.  No rule against it.

I may try his recipe again, but w/out malt at first and definitely a 16". I tried the 13" recipe and size REALLY effects cook time. I "could" do the 13" but I would have to lower my oven rack for more heat on the bottom and less on the top. I had a 6 min. bake and the top was sizzling while the bottom was not even browned.

Cooking my normal recipe of 16" I get 9 minute bakes before the top starts getting char and the bottom is a nice brown. I had two pizza baking session in a row that were very subpar. I had to go back to a more normal recipe a few days ago lol.

I suspect the diameter of the pie has little to do with such significant differences in baking time.  What caused you to conclude that?  Did you follow the same recipe with the same thickness with the 2 different diameter pizzas?

My guess would be it is probably related to ingredient differences such as malt.  The recipe is not terribly abnormal - the hydration is higher than most recipes for NY pizza (probably contributes to the stickiness you were experiencing).  But, pretty manageable. 

What is different about your "normal" recipe?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline BigLarry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #281 on: May 23, 2018, 02:43:09 AM »
I ferment in a large tupperware plastic container that cost £2.50 from our local supermarket (Asda) it is big enough to hold 4 dough balls and fits in the fridge.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2018, 12:32:03 AM »
It was just an assumption on my part that less dough took less time to cook. Now I want to make a 13" of the below recipe and see if I get a 9 minute bake out of it.

My most recent recipe is this.

100%   Flour 913g
62%   Water 566g
.55%    ADY     5g
2%       Salt   18g
1.1%   EVOO  10g
4%     Sugar   36g

Makes two 775g dough balls, more like 770g-772g after residue. I stretch to 16"

Aside from higher hydration and double yeast the master dough is similar to my current recipe, except I do not degas my recipe and only do a 24 hr cf. The major difference would be 4% sugar in mine as compared to 2% malt in the master dough and doing a 24hr cf, degassing, re-balling and another 24hr cf for the master dough procedure.

Since the saran on a cookie sheet was a complete disaster for me I was left w/the only option of rolling it out to get something. I have rolled out the top recipe before though and got a 9 minute bake.

Would the higher hydration cause the cooking differences? I mean I can totally use the master dough recipe and I plan to again, but w/my oven rack positioned lower so I get more bottom heat. I had to move my rack higher from burning the bottom of my pizzas in the past so I can def. get that base browning better now that I know what to expect lol.

Although the next time I will def. be making 16".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:05:33 PM by icemanxp300 »

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
So the link to the errata page at the PizzaBible Blog doesn't work - where can you find the errata now ?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »
So the link to the errata page at the PizzaBible Blog doesn't work - where can you find the errata now ?
ptix,

I wondered whether the errata page was archived at the Wayback Machine so I went to WM and searched for the errata page using the address http://www.thepizzabible.com/errata. This is what I found:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191218172657/http://www.thepizzabible.com/errata

To preserve the errata page, I cut and copied it, as follows:

Errata

Print Version
Although The Pizza Bible had 3 writers, 3 editors and 3 proof readers, some errors and typos have still found their way to the page. The following are errors that appear in the first printing of The Pizza Bible and the kindle version. We appreciate your help in making these corrections to your copy.

In the following dough recipes, please disregard the phrase Enough for 1 pizza under the recipe title:

Master Dough with Starter, page 44
Master Dough without Starter, page 48
Organic Dough, page 173
Khorasan Dough, page 176
Einkorn Dough, page 178
Sprouted Wheat Dough, page 180
In most cases, these doughs make enough for 2 to 3 pizzas, depending on which pizza you are making.

Page 48: Ice water measurement in cups should be 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons instead of 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons.

Page 63, 64: Pan size should be 10 by 14-inches

Page 149: The The Cal-italia pizza should be open and stretched rather than rolled. The third paragraph should read:

"Sprinkle a wooden peel with the dusting mixture. Open the dough on the work surface to a 13-inch round with a slightly raised edge (see Opening and Stretching the Dough pages 31-33)."

Disregard the fourth paragraph

Page 187: Active dry yeast amount should be 2.3 grams

Page 302: Starter amount for Chicago Deep-Dish Dough should be 0

Kindle Version
Location 4730 (Kindle): Water percentage should be 65 in Master Dough without Starter

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
Beh, some big ones there..  ???
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2020, 03:48:42 PM »
I like his Master Dough with Starter. Great jumping off point for making a lasting cold ferment dough. With my own tweaks of course.

Offline pizzaguy1958

• I Love Pizza!
    • Home Pizza Parlor
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
Tom,

I’m new here but in response to Tony’s book, his sub-title is a little misleading.

He is a pizza “twirling” champion.

Jim

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »
Tom,

I’m new here but in response to Tony’s book, his sub-title is a little misleading.

He is a pizza “twirling” champion.

Jim

Tony also won Best Pizza Margherita at the World Pizza Cup in Naples, Italy, and Best Pizza Romana at the World Championship of Pizza Makers in 2011. Here's a list of his awards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gemignani#Titles
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:13:34 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

wordpress