A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 50282 times)

Offline rds454ss

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
Newby trying to do this in Dallas TX.  Real hard to get any of the good ingredients.  Question:  what kind of All Trumps?  Bleached or Unbleached?

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
You can use either.  Most places in Buffalo use bleached and bromated flour.

Offline rds454ss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
Thank you Shmigga - I am going to buy 25lbs on amazon. I am slowly getting my ingredients together.  I know that it will be a lot of experimenting, but you have already answered a lot.

Offline matermark

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2018, 11:16:30 PM »
So last time I was in Buffalo, I managed to grab a few make your own pizza mixes that Just Pizza sells.  Basically it contains everything that you need except water.  One package makes enough dough for two 16 inch pizzas.  I had pretty good results and the dough was quite a bit different than the stuff I've been making.  The pizza was definitely thinner than it should have been but it the dough cooked all of the way through.  It actually tasted a lot like Just Pizza's dough.  I am not a fan of Just Pizza, but I figured I would try the mix out just to see how it tasted

I've also tried to reverse engineer their recipe.  Assuming that they use 2% sugar and 2% salt, I came up with the recipe below:

Flour (100%):    431.45 g  |  15.22 oz | 0.95 lbs
Water (52.5%):    226.51 g  |  7.99 oz | 0.5 lbs
ADY (.2%):    0.86 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.23 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Salt (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (1%):    4.31 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.95 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.16 tsp | 0.72 tbsp
Total (157.7%):   680.4 g | 24 oz | 1.5 lbs | TF = N/A

The salt, sugar, soybean oil and yeast are complete guesses.  I'm looking for input on the recipe above to see if anyone has any other thoughts.  The only thing that I know for sure is that the flour, salt, sugar, and soybean oil all add up to a weight of 16 ounces and the water weighs 8 ounces.  Is anyone familiar with the ingredients in their flour?  The list is strikingly close to All Trumps but it doesn't contain potassium bromate.

Below are pics of the packaging, a pic of my pizza, then a pic of an actual Just Pizza pizza (the pic with the slices cut incorrectly).
Almost all the pizzas up to this post I'm replying to don't look right, they all look too thick, especially the cornicione...

Offline matermark

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
Made this again w/ the bocce club sauce from earlier in this thread. I've never had bocce club pizza but I didn't really like the sauce. I used low moisture whole milk mozz that i shredded myself and margherita pepperoni.

I keep trying different sauce recipes and I always go back to my favorite: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

here's a pic of the pizza http://i.imgur.com/vO2q637.jpg
If you use Margherita, buy the stick pepperoni & slice it thicker than the pillow pack pepperoni... probably twice as thick...

Offline matermark

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2018, 12:01:10 AM »
It sounds like that is the right stuff but I'm not 100% sure.  Since you still live in the area, I would try buying pepperoni right from Picasso's or another pizzeria.  I'm sure they would sell it to you and that way you don't need to buy 12.5 or 25 pounds worth.  You might also want to check out this place http://www.willowbrook-farms.com/.  Their website says that they sell cup and char (2/12.5 lb boxes).  Maybe they sell it in less quantities in their actual store.  I'm pretty sure that Latina foods sells their own branded cup and char pepperoni in 5 lb bags as well.  This might be a good option for you.

For anybody in the Buffalo area, don't know if it'll help anybody, but as of 2018 Willowbrook Farms went out of business...