A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 51890 times)

Offline rds454ss

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
Newby trying to do this in Dallas TX.  Real hard to get any of the good ingredients.  Question:  what kind of All Trumps?  Bleached or Unbleached?

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
You can use either.  Most places in Buffalo use bleached and bromated flour.

Offline rds454ss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
Thank you Shmigga - I am going to buy 25lbs on amazon. I am slowly getting my ingredients together.  I know that it will be a lot of experimenting, but you have already answered a lot.

Offline matermark

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2018, 11:16:30 PM »
So last time I was in Buffalo, I managed to grab a few make your own pizza mixes that Just Pizza sells.  Basically it contains everything that you need except water.  One package makes enough dough for two 16 inch pizzas.  I had pretty good results and the dough was quite a bit different than the stuff I've been making.  The pizza was definitely thinner than it should have been but it the dough cooked all of the way through.  It actually tasted a lot like Just Pizza's dough.  I am not a fan of Just Pizza, but I figured I would try the mix out just to see how it tasted

I've also tried to reverse engineer their recipe.  Assuming that they use 2% sugar and 2% salt, I came up with the recipe below:

Flour (100%):    431.45 g  |  15.22 oz | 0.95 lbs
Water (52.5%):    226.51 g  |  7.99 oz | 0.5 lbs
ADY (.2%):    0.86 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.23 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Salt (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (1%):    4.31 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.95 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.16 tsp | 0.72 tbsp
Total (157.7%):   680.4 g | 24 oz | 1.5 lbs | TF = N/A

The salt, sugar, soybean oil and yeast are complete guesses.  I'm looking for input on the recipe above to see if anyone has any other thoughts.  The only thing that I know for sure is that the flour, salt, sugar, and soybean oil all add up to a weight of 16 ounces and the water weighs 8 ounces.  Is anyone familiar with the ingredients in their flour?  The list is strikingly close to All Trumps but it doesn't contain potassium bromate.

Below are pics of the packaging, a pic of my pizza, then a pic of an actual Just Pizza pizza (the pic with the slices cut incorrectly).
Almost all the pizzas up to this post I'm replying to don't look right, they all look too thick, especially the cornicione...

Offline matermark

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
Made this again w/ the bocce club sauce from earlier in this thread. I've never had bocce club pizza but I didn't really like the sauce. I used low moisture whole milk mozz that i shredded myself and margherita pepperoni.

I keep trying different sauce recipes and I always go back to my favorite: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

here's a pic of the pizza http://i.imgur.com/vO2q637.jpg
If you use Margherita, buy the stick pepperoni & slice it thicker than the pillow pack pepperoni... probably twice as thick...

Offline matermark

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2018, 12:01:10 AM »
It sounds like that is the right stuff but I'm not 100% sure.  Since you still live in the area, I would try buying pepperoni right from Picasso's or another pizzeria.  I'm sure they would sell it to you and that way you don't need to buy 12.5 or 25 pounds worth.  You might also want to check out this place http://www.willowbrook-farms.com/.  Their website says that they sell cup and char (2/12.5 lb boxes).  Maybe they sell it in less quantities in their actual store.  I'm pretty sure that Latina foods sells their own branded cup and char pepperoni in 5 lb bags as well.  This might be a good option for you.

For anybody in the Buffalo area, don't know if it'll help anybody, but as of 2018 Willowbrook Farms went out of business...

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
I think I've mentioned this throughout the thread, but you can buy cup and char pepperoni from Wegmans.  I believe it's the Battistoni brand.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
Almost all the pizzas up to this post I'm replying to don't look right, they all look too thick, especially the cornicione...

That's just your opinion.  Personally, I'm going for the Pasquale's look/taste as I don't care for Bocce/Imperial that much.  It's not going to "look" right if you don't have access to the correct pepperoni.

Offline AnotherOneBitesTheCrust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »
I think I've mentioned this throughout the thread, but you can buy cup and char pepperoni from Wegmans.  I believe it's the Battistoni brand.

Probably one of my favorite peps to use.

Anyone tried this yet?   I'm gonna give it a go soon.  I'm pretty happy with how my buffalo style pies have been for a bit  but always like to try different things.

Buffalo pizza
(From The Buffalo New York Cookbook, The Countryman Press, 178 pages, $19.95)

Buffalo pizza dough

Prep Time: 25 hours (15 minutes active); Yield: 2 dough balls

0.24 ounce active dry yeast
28.8 ounces warm water (80 to 85°F)
3 pounds (48 ounces) high- gluten flour
0.96 ounce sugar
0.96 ounce sea salt
1.4 ounces shortening
Add yeast to a large bowl. Add water and whisk to blend. Pour into stand mixer bowl. Add flour and mix on slow. Sprinkle in sugar. After 2 minutes add salt. You may have to stop and scrape the sides to help dough come together. Restart mixer. After 2 more minutes, add shortening and mix 3 minutes.
Remove dough to a clean bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth, and let rise for 45 minutes. Cut into two balls, place on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Take dough out 1 hour before use.
Buffalo pizza sauce

Yield: 2 cups sauce (enough for two 18- inch pizzas)

3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ounce tomato paste
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil (or minced fresh)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Add olive oil to a large saucepan on low heat. Add tomato paste and water. Stir to thoroughly combine.
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool.
Buffalo pizza

Yield: Two 18- inch pizzas
1 cup bench flour
2 rounds Buffalo Pizza Dough (see recipe above)
8 teaspoons shortening
2 cups Buffalo Pizza Sauce (see recipe above)
42 ounces shredded mozzarella
4 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
⅔ cup sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun spice, or Parmesan (optional)
1 pound sliced pepperoni (preferably Margherita)
Preheat oven to its highest setting, preferably 550°F. Place pizza steel in the oven. After it reaches 550°F, keep oven closed for 1 hour.
If you have advanced pizza dough moves, this is where to show them off. If you don’t, cheat. Generously dust dough “bench” with flour (about ½ cup). Turn one dough round in on itself underneath to form a ball. Press down in the center and push out toward the edges repeatedly while also moving the dough in a circle clockwise for 15 seconds. Lift dough, dust the surface with flour, flip dough, then stretch from the center out to the edge while turning the dough in a circle for 2 minutes, and forming a slightly raised lip. Repeat until pizza is as wide as the pan and even throughout beyond the edge.
Use a paper towel to grease the entire surface of an 18- inch pizza pan with shortening (4 teaspoons). Place dough on pan and stretch out to arrange it so it reaches out a hair shy of the pan’s edge.
Ladle up to 1 cup of sauce from the center out in a spiral until it’s evenly spread out over the dough up to ¼ inch of the edge. If you’re making it Bocce Club style, ladle the sauce over the edge of the crust.
Evenly spread 21 ounces of cheese over the sauced dough. If you’re making it Bocce style, let the cheese cover the entire surface of the dough, including the crust. If you’re making it La Nova style, leave the crust rim cheese- free. You can either leave things at that or brush optional olive oil (2 teaspoons per pizza) along the rim and sprinkle sesame seed, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun spice, or Parmesan on the crust ½ inch from the edge toward the center all the way around.
Evenly distribute half the pepperoni so that when you cut the pie in 8 slices there are 10 to 13 slices of pepperoni on each one. If there doesn’t seem to be room, just do your best to pile them in between each other— the pepperoni will shrink as it cooks and things will fall into place. Don’t worry if things don’t look exactly symmetrical. Controlled cup- and- char chaos is the effect you’re going for. If you’re making it Bocce style, make sure you have some pepperoni on the cornicione!
Place pan in oven for 10 minutes. Slide pizza off pan onto the steel and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Slide pie back onto the pan, cut into 8 slices, and serve.
Repeat for the second pie.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »
AnotherOneBitesTheCrust -

Thanks, I might give that dough recipe a shot tonight!  If so, I'll post pics and let you know how it goes!

BTW...is that cookbook new?  I bought a small Buffalo, NY cookbook a few years back for the sponge candy recipe...but I don't recall seeing a 178 page book. :-)

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »
AnotherOneBitesTheCrust -

Thanks, I might give that dough recipe a shot tonight!  If so, I'll post pics and let you know how it goes!

BTW...is that cookbook new?  I bought a small Buffalo, NY cookbook a few years back for the sponge candy recipe...but I don't recall seeing a 178 page book. :-)

Yeah it's new.  So far the recipes look good.  I'm waiting to make sure the wife doesn't get it for me for Christmas before I buy it.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
Nice!

Just mixed up some dough.  The dough ball weighed in at about 39 ounces which I know is way too much for an 18" pizza.  My normal dough ball is usually around 28-29 oz.  I ended up chopping off about 9 ounces...will let you know how it goes.

As far as the sauce goes, do you know if any ingredients are missing?  It says it will make 2 cups...but there is only 1 cup of water, very little paste/oil and some spices.

Thanks!

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »
Nice!

Just mixed up some dough.  The dough ball weighed in at about 39 ounces which I know is way too much for an 18" pizza.  My normal dough ball is usually around 28-29 oz.  I ended up chopping off about 9 ounces...will let you know how it goes.

As far as the sauce goes, do you know if any ingredients are missing?  It says it will make 2 cups...but there is only 1 cup of water, very little paste/oil and some spices.

Thanks!

It would appear that the tomatoes themselves are missing from the print. 

As far as dough weight, Id have to look through my notes but I am pretty sure I usually use a 700g ball for a 15in.  So that's around 26oz for that.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »
Thanks!  I thought that was the case so I added about a cup of tomatoes.  So far, the sauce is tasting good!

As far as the dough goes, I suppose it depends on how thick you want it.  I brought a dough ball back from Buffalo that weighed in at 26 oz...for a 17" pizza.  For me, I don't care for the thickness of Imperial so 39 oz. might be good for others.

Can't wait to bake it tomorrow!

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2018, 06:21:30 PM »
Alright...after thinking about it more, I've added the 10 ounces back in to make the dough ball about 39 ounces.  If anything, it will be a good test.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
I always like to follow the recipe to a T the first time so I have a good base and then go from there.  I actually prefer my thick crust on the thinner side, and upon checking my notes, I made a note to try a 600g ball so around 21oz for 15in pie.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.  My pizzas are def more like Imperial or so I've been told, but I hands down prefer Mattinas to everything else.  I don't know why but I love it.

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2018, 06:19:29 PM »
I'd say that the pizza was a success!  I think that people who like Imperial or maybe Bocce style pizza would like this recipe.  The pizza is really thick, cheesy, and tastes good!

For me, I think that the dough was a little too much although I do love how one slice weighed as much as a NYC style pizza lol.  Next time I'll probably scale it down to a 29 ounce dough ball (for 18").  I will say that it tasted really good!  I really liked the sauce as well.  Wish I would have had this recipe 4-5 years ago!  Would have save me a lot of trouble.  I'll let everyone know how using less dough works out when I make my next pizza. AnotherOneBitesTheCrust - thanks for posting this!

A couple things to note...

I cooked the pizza at 550 for 11 minutes on the pan then placed it on the stone for a minute.  I think a minute is too long and I knew there was no way 2-3 minutes would work without completely burning the crust.  So I cooked the pizza for a total of 12 minutes including stone time.  For me, 30 seconds on the stone is usually perfect.  I let the dough sit out in a 66 degree room for 2 hours before spreading it.  The dough was still cold when it went in to the oven but that didn't seem to impact the cook.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
Looks good!  Im gonna give it a try and see how it compares to what I make now.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2018, 10:40:36 PM »
So just to follow up, the book was on sale for almost half off, so I snagged it.  I gotta say, I don't see a whole lot I'll be taking from the book.  The sauce recipe was correct, no tomatoes, just paste, which I don't agree with.    I'm gonna try it the way you did and see how it compares to my sauce, and drop the dough weight a little. 

wordpress