A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 73843 times)

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
Just a heads up un Cup & Char, even Amazon is now selling it, a little pricey though...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R2DQ58Z/?tag=pmak-20

By the way, I never knew this but I went down Dingens off Bailey and I drove by a Battistoni building, maybe a warehouse, it's on the right side if coming from Bailey... hope this helps, especially Canadians coming over the Peace Bridge... get off at Bailey/Clinton exit, turn right on Clinton, right on Bailey, right on Dingens.

Good to know! You can also get it right from their website which might be a better deal for some...

http://battistonibrand.com/products/buy-salami-online/

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »
I must say I shed a tear of joy when I came across this forum, and this thread!

I have been thinking about pursuing this for years, to the point where I even offered to double match his pay if my 17 year old nephew would get a job at Bocce and infiltrate for me :)

Thank you @shmigga for starting it and keeping up on it with your experimentation and progress - I would love to know your latest and greatest recipe!

@cola__st - I think your quarantine attempts look amazing too, would love to know your current recipe!

From browsing the thread, it seems the most important ingredient is the dough (or, is the most important to prepare correctly, at least) to get the right crust. And I would agree, the more I think about it. That certain thickness with just enough crisp and hopefully enough structure to hold it up a bit without being super floppy.

I am anxious to try the sauce attempts as well, though this seems more well-controlled. I am ready to finally replace the garlicky crud we find around here with some sweeter sauce!

Still trying to procure the holy grail pepperoni here in Florida more easily though...

My initial question is the prep and pan. I remember watching the guys at Bocce use super-seasoned pans (of what matieral? Are they regular aluminum sheet pans? They looked thicker.) And then they all take it out of the pan and put in on the deck for a few minutes at the end.

What temperature are those ovens? I see 550 tossed around here, I am not sure if my home oven goes that high... are the beck oven in pizzerias hotter than that?

From the looks of it though, you guys are nailing it and far closer to Buffalo pizza than I would have imagined we could get! I am looking forward to hopping on the train and posting any pics of my successes (or failures)!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:01:13 AM by machineman »

Offline mwkorona

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2021, 07:13:15 PM »
Longtime browser, finally joined. Buffalo transplant to Vegas in need of good pizza for the Bills game tomorrow. Had ordered from Picasso's via goldbelly a couple months ago but the pizza all had the dreaded gumline so that was very disappointing. Usually I make detroit style or thin crust in an ooni, but trying my hand at my real love of buffalo pizza. Made the dough last night, but been reading about spraying with warm water during proofing on pan. I am very nervous about a gum line and it seems like moisture is a common reason - for those of you who have sprayed with water, do you think this contributes to any gum line issues?

Just in case anyone cares, here is what I got going:
484g Caputo 00 Chef's Flour (internet says its 13.5% protein)
281g water (58%) (85-90degree)
9.6g salt (2%)
9.6g sugar (2%)
1.7g IDY (.035%)
3g diastatic malt powder (Litner rating 60)

Hand mixed and kneaded. 20min rest, balled, fridge for 36 hour CF. Planning to take out 3-4 hours before baking, will let rest RT 1-2 hours, stretch out on greased (crisco)   18" pan and leave for final proof 1-2 hours longer before topping and baking.

I do have a pizza stone that will stay in the oven but its too small to put the pizza on at any stage, so it will stay in the pan the whole time. Was planning to preheat to 500 but then thinking of lowering it after the pizza goes in to make sure the dough has time to cook through.

Hopefully will have a success and will post pics tomorrow, Go Bills!

Offline mwkorona

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2021, 12:58:58 PM »
Here is what I ended up with. It was okay but not the result I was looking for. My crust was tough - I think using the 00 chef's flour may be the cause, other research has indicated it is meant to be used at high heat and can be tough at lower temps. I think I will try again with King Arthur Bread Flour next.

The dough also was not distributed how I would like, I wanted little/no corcione and slightly thicker base throughout, but when stretching I ended up with a very clear ring. Any tips for stretching but keeping the dough uniform throughout the whole pie?

(see my recipe in post above if interested)

Offline matermark

« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
This may sound weird, but I'm not a great tosser/thrower, so when I get it stretched out pretty close, I cover the pizza with a heavyweight plastic wrap and roll it out to where I want it to be. The plastic virtually slows the dough from snapping back, and I can use a rolling pin or even smaller items like jelly or oil jars if I'm making pizzas in pans...

I've never used 00 so can't comment on that though I read years ago it's suggested to be used with temps over 800F.

Hope this helps.

Offline mwkorona

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2021, 09:09:06 PM »
I did end up getting some high gluten flour from Costco (Ardent Mills - Kyrol) and was much more pleased with the results - it was much closer to back home and did not have the toughness issue. I did up the cheese too which helped. And I think I made the sauce a little sweeter than desired. Crust was more evenly shaped but perhaps a bit thin, so may either up the doughball or make smaller (used 800g dough ball for 18" pan, ~.11 TF). Did have to put it back in the oven when we tried to cut into it as there was significant undercooking in the middle, so it got a little toastier than I expected, but overall was happy.

Offline AdroitRider

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »
I attempted this crust after reading page one of the thread. Wife and kids were impressed.

I agree with others that shared the dough texture isnít quite right, e.g. not Ďgreasyí soft. I will try a bit more moisture and shorter cook time with an actual stone (mine broke when removing it from hot grill to cold grill surface last year).

For the pepperoni, Hormel makes a cup and crisp that is available at many grocers. Easy and simple.

Offline matermark

« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2021, 05:52:10 PM »
Can you point to the Hormel pepperoni maybe with a link or pic of it? Every Hormel pepperoni I've ever seen was too thin to be close to what we use in Buffalo & Buffalo-style pizza. Thanks.

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »
Can you point to the Hormel pepperoni maybe with a link or pic of it? Every Hormel pepperoni I've ever seen was too thin to be close to what we use in Buffalo & Buffalo-style pizza. Thanks.

Iíve never been able to find it at my grocery stores in Orlando but here it is:

https://hormel.com/Brands/Pepperoni/Pizza-Party/HORMEL-Pepperoni-Cup-N-Crisp-Bold
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:11:43 PM by machineman »

Offline AdroitRider

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2021, 07:29:14 PM »

This is still thin, def not close to buffalo thick, but appearance is good. Flavor isnít bad.

Offline matermark

« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2021, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks! Never seen that in stores anywhere yet...

Offline AdroitRider

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »
Thanks! Never seen that in stores anywhere yet...

In Marianos (Kroger) it is available in the packaged lunch meat coolers. I had to ask...

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2021, 04:27:22 PM »
As I begin to prep for my first go-round with an attempt, had a few more nagging questions for you guys!

- Water - Do you guys subscribe to the "there's something in the water" philosophy? Like, is there something about Buffalo water... or NYC water... that meaningfully contributes to those crust styles? Is it pH levels? Mineral balance? Old wives tales? :)

- Flour - High Gluten seems to be the choice - I haven't seen mention of bromate or bleached though? Specifically, seems like bromate might be desirable for Buffalo dough?

- Oven Position - I have a consumer oven, and I'm not sure how hot it goes... but I am assuming, I want it as hot as can be. Do we recommend low rack, mid rack or high rack? (low rack, crisper crust? high rack, crispier pepperoni?)

- Convection - Further, would you recommend convection mode for baking the pizza?

- Cheese - Ever hear of anyone using sliced mozzarella? I could have swore growing up in Buffalo (north towns, Clarence) that the transit Boccee did that, but I may be hallucinating.

- Yeast - Is there a material difference in the outcome in your opinion? IDY or ADY?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:59:54 AM by machineman »

Offline mrmetelitz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2021, 07:46:49 PM »
Been a while since I posted anything and wanted to post a few pics of a pie I made recently.  I've shifted my focus on to trying to replicating a Picasso's pie and I think I've got it pretty close.  If anyone knows the blend of their magic season's...that would be awesome if you could share!  Right now I'm using romano, garlic powder and oregano.  Tastes pretty good!

I'm working on getting a larger pizza stone so right now I'm using a 16" square pan.  I plan on making a Picasso's large (15x20" I believe).  I've posted a pic of a Picasso's pizza for those who aren't familiar.

This looks absolutely incredible and what I am looking to replicate.  Would you be willing to share your dough recipe with bakers percentages?

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
Surprised to see a Buffalo pizza attempt show up on a fairly mainstream food channel, maybe its finally getting its due :)

He doesn't really hit the mark, but does talk about the things he should have done, such as the pepperoni situation.

Offline matermark

« Reply #235 on: February 03, 2021, 08:52:21 AM »
Do you have a link to the original recipe page? Thanks.

Offline machineman

• Pizza from BUF > ALL
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »
I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, so I actually posted in the other:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42106.msg659166#msg659166

My first 2 attempts (with the same dough batch, just an extra day of cold ferment and a few tweaks apart) came out pretty good! I added the process and notes in the link above.

Offline BocceFan1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
Great thread! I grew up on Bailey Avenue Bocce's Pepperoni and have been trying for some time to replicate it. My sauce is off, but thanks to you guys the dough is really close. I've been using Ezzo Supreme pepperoni and have been pretty happy with the results.