A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 60309 times)

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Hockman,

Your pizza looks good.  I want to eat some right now :-)

Chris

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »
Recently I was up in Buffalo and had the privilege of speaking to an owner of a pizzeria.  He gave me a few tips as well as some dough balls and pepperoni.  He didn't give me his recipe, but it sounded like his recipe was pretty similar to the one posted in this thread.  He gave me some PZ44 dough conditioner to try.  They use this in their recipe and it helps to brown and relax the crust.  Another tip that he gave me was to proof the dough longer after I spread it out.  They actually put their dough skins into a proofer before it gets topped and cook.  From what I saw, the dough was very thick and fluffy while it was getting topped.  Much thicker than my dough skins have been. The last thing he said was to try lowering the oven temp a little bit.

Anyways,  here is a few pics of the pie I made with his dough ball and pepperoni.  The last pic is what they actually make in their pizzeria (half pepperoni, half chicken cordon blue).

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
Not Sorrento Cheese, but overall pretty good!

Offline stimpy44

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
In response to the request for a Bocce's style sauce - this is our recipe and I think it is the closest to Bocce-style pizza sauce that I've had outside of Buffalo:

Start with 2 cans of tomato paste - Mutti double concentrated is best.  Cook the paste for about a minute in 1-2 tsp olive oil.  Add seasonings as desired - we typically use 2-3 pinches of kosher salt, 3-4 pinches of sugar, 1 tsp of italian seasoning (Penzey's pizza seasoning is our favorite) and hot pepper flake if you like it spicy.  Thin the paste with 1 to 1.5 cups of water and then simmer until it is the desired consistency - thinner than straight tomato paste but thicker than tomato sauce.  2 cans usually makes enough sauce for two 14" pizzas plus a little left over for starting the next batch.

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 11:12:11 PM »
Thanks Stimpy, I'll try it!

I also tried a Beef on Weck pizza tonight. Beef on Weck is a Buffalo staple of course. I actually saw this on Drivers Dine Ins and Dives when they did a special on Pizza Junction. I kinda winged it.  It was pretty good. I should've used more roast beef!

Offline AnotherOneBitesTheCrust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »
I too have been trying to replicate buffalo Style Pizza for a long time.  Its one pizza I have not been able to peg. 

Hopefully I can help a little though. I noticed the sauce is sweeter.  There are a couple of pizzerias in the area that actually sell Sweet Sauce Pizzas, but from what I can tell they all seem to have a Sweeter Sauce.  Let me dig up a couple of the sauces I ended up with and ill post them.

For the Pepperoni

Wegmans Sells Cup and Char.  Its in little deli containers near where they sell fresh Slices.  Usually stacked with their premade crust, cheese, and sauces.   I am unsure if it is Ezzo but it is just as good. 

I also order it from www.pennmac.com

They sell whole sticks as well as pre sliced Ezzo. 

Honestly the only thing I haven't been able to get is the crust.  It eludes me for some reason.   I have tried baking in my blue steel pans and on a stone and I can't get it. 

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »
I too have been trying to replicate buffalo Style Pizza for a long time.  Its one pizza I have not been able to peg. 

Hopefully I can help a little though. I noticed the sauce is sweeter.  There are a couple of pizzerias in the area that actually sell Sweet Sauce Pizzas, but from what I can tell they all seem to have a Sweeter Sauce.  Let me dig up a couple of the sauces I ended up with and ill post them.

For the Pepperoni

Wegmans Sells Cup and Char.  Its in little deli containers near where they sell fresh Slices.  Usually stacked with their premade crust, cheese, and sauces.   I am unsure if it is Ezzo but it is just as good. 

I also order it from www.pennmac.com

They sell whole sticks as well as pre sliced Ezzo. 

Honestly the only thing I haven't been able to get is the crust.  It eludes me for some reason.   I have tried baking in my blue steel pans and on a stone and I can't get it.

Looking forward to your recipes.  The pepperoni that Wegmans sells is good.  It's actually made by Battistoni meats.  I don't know if many pizzerias use it, but is def good stuff.  I think most pizzerias use Margherita cup and char or Ezzo supreme special.  Unfortunately the pepperoni that pennmac sells isn't the right stuff.  It still tastes pretty good though!  If you are in the buffalo area, you can go to Latina Foods and pick up the correct pepperoni.  Just keep in mind that you will probably need to buy 10 or 25lbs worth.  Maybe if enough people email pennmac, we can get them to carry ezzo supreeme special.

As for your dough, one thing that I can tell you is that you must use high gluten flour.  This is key.  I'm still working on my dough recipe, but I can tell you for sure that you need to use something like All Trumps to get the same chewiness that we all love.  What kind of issues are you having?

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
I use All Trumps, KASL, and a few others.  Its not the same.  I can make a great dough, but its just missing something that the buffalo style pizza has. 

Its hard to explain but I feel like its not greasy enough...thats not right, but its the only way I can explain it. 

Also when I talked to PennMac, they told me that the 38mm was the Ezzo SS.  I have used it and love it.  I know places to get Ezzo locally but as you said it is usually in bulk. 

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
I can tell you for sure that it isn't Ezzo SS.  I talked to someone at Ezzo and they said that the pepperoni that PennMac sells is not SS.  When I contacted PennMac about it, they said that they thought it was but that they weren't sure.  If you take a look at this page here: http://www.pennmac.com/page/513/ it actually says that it's GiAntonio.  I certainly wish that it was.  I believe Picasso's uses Ezzo SS.

As for the dough, I think I know what you mean.  Are you referring to the actually crust being somewhat moist/greasy? It's like they put something on it to make it sorta greasy but the crust is still crisp.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
Thats good to know, should have dug a little deeper when i first found it.  I have considered just buying in bulk and freezing but to be honest, I like the stuff from pennmac and wegmans. 

And yes, that is exactly what I mean.  Its the one thing I can't pin down.  Its either two bread like, which i don't enjoy, or nice and crispy. Makes for a great pizza, but just isn't what I am going after.  I am closest to recreating Francos, its not my favorite but I enjoy it.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
Great pies.  Are you just using greased aluminum cutter pans to bake them on?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline boalpd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »

I also tried a Beef on Weck pizza tonight.

Gator24,

Please give me your list of toppings. Was the salt and caraway just on the cornice or on the whole pie?

Thanks,
Phil

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe he was trying to mimic the pizza in this video...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/dv800/pizza-pork-and-paprikash.0135987.html

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
Great pies.  Are you just using greased aluminum cutter pans to bake them on?

Nate

I usually bake the pizza on the aluminum pan then place the pizza on the stone for the last 30 seconds to brown the bottom of the pie  This is usually how its done in Buffalo. 

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 03:14:27 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe he was trying to mimic the pizza in this video...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/dv800/pizza-pork-and-paprikash.0135987.html

That's exactly where I got it from. I just kind of winged it. I made a roux and then added milk, caraway seeds, salt, and horseradish sauce. I have the measurements at home I could get it for you if you'd like. I made it a couple nights ago again but this time without tomatoes. I actually like it better without the tomatoes. I think the key is using A LOT of horseradish!

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
I usually bake the pizza on the aluminum pan then place the pizza on the stone for the last 30 seconds to brown the bottom of the pie  This is usually how its done in Buffalo.

Very interesting.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
Shmigga,

Are your pics from reply 13 using recipe from reply 10?  What rack(s) are you baking on?

Nate

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 08:37:18 PM »
Here is my attempt from dinner tonight.  Decent results.  I need to let it proof longer and dock it as well.  I also want to use about half the sugar in the dough next time around as it was a tad sweet for me.  I also want to bake about 2 minutes less.

Nate

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
Pythonic,

Your pizza looks really good.  How did it taste?  Yes my pics from reply 13 are based on the recipe in reply 10.  The only changes were that i used all trumps flour.

Chris

Offline shmigga

• Go Bills!
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
So last time I was in Buffalo, I managed to grab a few make your own pizza mixes that Just Pizza sells.  Basically it contains everything that you need except water.  One package makes enough dough for two 16 inch pizzas.  I had pretty good results and the dough was quite a bit different than the stuff I've been making.  The pizza was definitely thinner than it should have been but it the dough cooked all of the way through.  It actually tasted a lot like Just Pizza's dough.  I am not a fan of Just Pizza, but I figured I would try the mix out just to see how it tasted

I've also tried to reverse engineer their recipe.  Assuming that they use 2% sugar and 2% salt, I came up with the recipe below:

Flour (100%):    431.45 g  |  15.22 oz | 0.95 lbs
Water (52.5%):    226.51 g  |  7.99 oz | 0.5 lbs
ADY (.2%):    0.86 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.23 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Salt (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (1%):    4.31 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.95 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.16 tsp | 0.72 tbsp
Total (157.7%):   680.4 g | 24 oz | 1.5 lbs | TF = N/A

The salt, sugar, soybean oil and yeast are complete guesses.  I'm looking for input on the recipe above to see if anyone has any other thoughts.  The only thing that I know for sure is that the flour, salt, sugar, and soybean oil all add up to a weight of 16 ounces and the water weighs 8 ounces.  Is anyone familiar with the ingredients in their flour?  The list is strikingly close to All Trumps but it doesn't contain potassium bromate.

Below are pics of the packaging, a pic of my pizza, then a pic of an actual Just Pizza pizza (the pic with the slices cut incorrectly).