A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 56415 times)

Offline Kreetak

• I Love Pizza!
    • Portfolio
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Hello guys,

I tried this recipe but was a completly disaster  :-D
Probably because I didn't calculate very well the ingredients, because I tried to do 2 balls for 12". And I worked with grams and I repleaced the ADY by cake yeast. Plus the dough was in CF about 3 days. So... you can imagine.

Can someone lend me a hand? PLEASE  ::) I want to try again!
Thank you :_) :angel:

Offline bosco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »
I am following and learning as much as I can here with this recipe!!!

Thanks for all of the great tips so far

Offline Falls4Life

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »
This is what I have settled on and it is modeled after an episode of DDD when they went to western new york.  The basic recipe on here really doesn't change much and I don't believe that it is the biggest factor in creating this type of pizza.  I have done this recipe numerous times with different pans, stones, steal, and temperatures and it comes out different every time.  My suggestion is to lock in on a recipe and then play with your oven to find your sweet spot. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/pizza-pork-and-paprikash-0135987

25 oz King Arthur Bread Flour
15 oz warm water (60%) - You can probably go up to 65% and it will still work well.  I just think 60% is easier to handle (less sticky)
1.5 oz Veg Shortening (6%) - You can use oil here instead of shortening.  Just be aware that oil will hydrate your dough a bit more and I wouldn't go to 65% water. 
.5 oz Salt (2%)
.5 oz Sugar (2%)
1 packet Active Dry Yeast (~1 TBS) - I use active dry and it is dissolved in the water before adding.  You can substitute instant dry yeast here.

Get a scale for sure.  Don't trust any recipe that has cups as the measurement.  With weight you can tailor the amount as needed.  This usually gives me 2 solid 20 oz to 22 oz dough balls that I can get to 2 half trays of pizza out of. 

I mix all this for about 5 - 10 minutes until everything is fully mixed.  I let it rise in the bowl for about an hour or hour and a half before i ball it up.  I make the dough balls and place it in the fridge for 1 to 3 days.  Make sure you let the dough come back to room temp before you try to use it. 

I am currently using an aluminum baking sheet with baking steel on the oven racks.  I have baking steel on the bottom rack and on the rack above i have a large baking stone.  I let these 2 come to 500 degrees for about an hour before i put any pizzas in.  This method gives a faux commercial oven setting (minus the higher temps) and i have been getting great results. 

Offline Falls4Life

« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »
This is what I have settled on and it is modeled after an episode of DDD when they went to western new york.  The basic recipe on here really doesn't change much and I don't believe that it is the biggest factor in creating this type of pizza.  I have done this recipe numerous times with different pans, stones, steal, and temperatures and it comes out different every time.  My suggestion is to lock in on a recipe and then play with your oven to find your sweet spot. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/pizza-pork-and-paprikash-0135987

25 oz King Arthur Bread Flour
15 oz warm water (60%) - You can probably go up to 65% and it will still work well.  I just think 60% is easier to handle (less sticky)
1.5 oz Veg Shortening (6%) - You can use oil here instead of shortening.  Just be aware that oil will hydrate your dough a bit more and I wouldn't go to 65% water. 
.5 oz Salt (2%)
.5 oz Sugar (2%)
1 packet Active Dry Yeast (~1 TBS) - I use active dry and it is dissolved in the water before adding.  You can substitute instant dry yeast here.

Get a scale for sure.  Don't trust any recipe that has cups as the measurement.  With weight you can tailor the amount as needed.  This usually gives me 2 solid 20 oz to 22 oz dough balls that I can get to 2 half trays of pizza out of. 

I mix all this for about 5 - 10 minutes until everything is fully mixed.  I let it rise in the bowl for about an hour or hour and a half before i ball it up.  I make the dough balls and place it in the fridge for 1 to 3 days.  Make sure you let the dough come back to room temp before you try to use it. 

I am currently using an aluminum baking sheet with baking steel on the oven racks.  I have baking steel on the bottom rack and on the rack above i have a large baking stone.  I let these 2 come to 500 degrees for about an hour before i put any pizzas in.  This method gives a faux commercial oven setting (minus the higher temps) and i have been getting great results.

I need to clarify one measurement here.  I have it listed as TBS but it is actually a teaspoon.  For my recipe I typically use 1% active dry yeast.  For my batches that use over 20 oz of flour I use 1 packet of yeast (.25 oz).  In my experience 1 tbs is usually .1 oz so use 2 tsp for 20oz of flour and 3 tsp for 30, etc. 

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Hey guys, I gave this one a shot on my Blackstone at floor temps between 500-560 or so.

I had to redo the numbers and here's what I came up with for 2 16" pizzas:

Bread flour, 100, 890g
Warm water, 59, 525g
Ady, 0.5, 4.45g
Salt, 2, 17.8
Oil, 3, 26.7g (had no shortening so subbed in oil)
Sugar, 2, 17.8g
Total, 1482g
Ball, 741g each

Used workflow of mix, bowl, cover with wet cloth and rise for 45 and then fridge for 24 hrs.

The balls were too big so I stretched to a out 18" and cut off the excess to give me a 16".  As per instructions I sauced and cheeses to edge.  Cooked for 10 on pan and then directly ok floor of Blackstone for 1 min.

Results were quite awesome, I think the flatness of no rim due to snipping it off and sauce/cheese to edge just made an excellent pizza!

Next time I'll make the sauce for it and use just mozza as I had to go cheddar and mozzarella due to running out.

Offline Falls4Life

« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2019, 02:37:20 PM »
Hey guys, I gave this one a shot on my Blackstone at floor temps between 500-560 or so.

I had to redo the numbers and here's what I came up with for 2 16" pizzas:

Bread flour, 100, 890g
Warm water, 59, 525g
Ady, 0.5, 4.45g
Salt, 2, 17.8
Oil, 3, 26.7g (had no shortening so subbed in oil)
Sugar, 2, 17.8g
Total, 1482g
Ball, 741g each

Used workflow of mix, bowl, cover with wet cloth and rise for 45 and then fridge for 24 hrs.

The balls were too big so I stretched to a out 18" and cut off the excess to give me a 16".  As per instructions I sauced and cheeses to edge.  Cooked for 10 on pan and then directly ok floor of Blackstone for 1 min.

Results were quite awesome, I think the flatness of no rim due to snipping it off and sauce/cheese to edge just made an excellent pizza!

Next time I'll make the sauce for it and use just mozza as I had to go cheddar and mozzarella due to running out.

The cheese looks to be the one thing killing that pizza.  If you are using pre shredded bag grocery store cheese, definitely steer clear of that.  It has so many things added to it and all it really does is burn instead of melting.  Nice work though!

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
It has so many things added to it and all it really does is burn instead of melting. 

I think the pizza and cheese look fine. I've used pre shredded in a pinch.

Kraft Mozz:

Hans

Offline pepapi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2019, 11:28:25 PM »
No shredded for me on that pizza but like I said I ran out of mozza so threw some cheddar on there.