A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 67579 times)

Offline rebeccasa

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »
After contemplating making Buffalo pizza for quite some time I just made my first pies last night.  It was so yummy and my Buffalo audience said it was spot on!  Thanks to everyone on this site for lots of advice and pointers.  I ordered 5 lbs of Ezzo Supreme pepperoni from the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company and portioned the bag for enough for each pie (4.8 oz for 14 inch pie) and put them in the freezer for next time.  I used the recipe in the Buffalo, NY cookbook as follows.  It has been posted on this site before.  I did make everything exactly (with the exception of sauce as noted) but adjusted all the ingredients for two 14 inch pies since I can't fit the 18 inch ones in my oven. The sauce recipe doesn't make sense so I used a full can of tomato paste and added enough extra crushed tomatoes to equal the two cups it says it makes.  Also I took someones advice cooked on pan for shorter (9 minutes for me) and only left it on my stone for 1 minute.  I didn't have hi gluten flour so I made my own by adding gluten to AP flour using calculator I found online.

Buffalo pizza
(From The Buffalo New York Cookbook, The Countryman Press, 178 pages, $19.95)

Buffalo pizza dough

Prep Time: 25 hours (15 minutes active); Yield: 2 dough balls

0.24 ounce active dry yeast
28.8 ounces warm water (80 to 85°F)
3 pounds (48 ounces) high- gluten flour
0.96 ounce sugar
0.96 ounce sea salt
1.4 ounces shortening
Add yeast to a large bowl. Add water and whisk to blend. Pour into stand mixer bowl. Add flour and mix on slow. Sprinkle in sugar. After 2 minutes add salt. You may have to stop and scrape the sides to help dough come together. Restart mixer. After 2 more minutes, add shortening and mix 3 minutes.
Remove dough to a clean bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth, and let rise for 45 minutes. Cut into two balls, place on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Take dough out 1 hour before use.
Buffalo pizza sauce

Yield: 2 cups sauce (enough for two 18- inch pizzas)

3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ounce tomato paste
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil (or minced fresh)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Add olive oil to a large saucepan on low heat. Add tomato paste and water. Stir to thoroughly combine.
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool.
Buffalo pizza

Yield: Two 18- inch pizzas
1 cup bench flour
2 rounds Buffalo Pizza Dough (see recipe above)
8 teaspoons shortening
2 cups Buffalo Pizza Sauce (see recipe above)
42 ounces shredded mozzarella
4 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
⅔ cup sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun spice, or Parmesan (optional)
1 pound sliced pepperoni (preferably Margherita)
Preheat oven to its highest setting, preferably 550°F. Place pizza steel in the oven. After it reaches 550°F, keep oven closed for 1 hour.
If you have advanced pizza dough moves, this is where to show them off. If you don’t, cheat. Generously dust dough “bench” with flour (about ½ cup). Turn one dough round in on itself underneath to form a ball. Press down in the center and push out toward the edges repeatedly while also moving the dough in a circle clockwise for 15 seconds. Lift dough, dust the surface with flour, flip dough, then stretch from the center out to the edge while turning the dough in a circle for 2 minutes, and forming a slightly raised lip. Repeat until pizza is as wide as the pan and even throughout beyond the edge.
Use a paper towel to grease the entire surface of an 18- inch pizza pan with shortening (4 teaspoons). Place dough on pan and stretch out to arrange it so it reaches out a hair shy of the pan’s edge.
Ladle up to 1 cup of sauce from the center out in a spiral until it’s evenly spread out over the dough up to ¼ inch of the edge. If you’re making it Bocce Club style, ladle the sauce over the edge of the crust.
Evenly spread 21 ounces of cheese over the sauced dough. If you’re making it Bocce style, let the cheese cover the entire surface of the dough, including the crust. If you’re making it La Nova style, leave the crust rim cheese- free. You can either leave things at that or brush optional olive oil (2 teaspoons per pizza) along the rim and sprinkle sesame seed, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun spice, or Parmesan on the crust ½ inch from the edge toward the center all the way around.
Evenly distribute half the pepperoni so that when you cut the pie in 8 slices there are 10 to 13 slices of pepperoni on each one. If there doesn’t seem to be room, just do your best to pile them in between each other— the pepperoni will shrink as it cooks and things will fall into place. Don’t worry if things don’t look exactly symmetrical. Controlled cup- and- char chaos is the effect you’re going for. If you’re making it Bocce style, make sure you have some pepperoni on the cornicione!
Place pan in oven for 10 minutes. Slide pizza off pan onto the steel and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Slide pie back onto the pan, cut into 8 slices, and serve.
Repeat for the second pie.

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »
This looks really good, you might be a ringer.

Offline PizzaMark

« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
After contemplating making Buffalo pizza for quite some time I just made my first pies last night.  It was so yummy and my Buffalo audience said it was spot on!  Thanks to everyone on this site for lots of advice and pointers.  I ordered 5 lbs of Ezzo Supreme pepperoni from the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company and portioned the bag for enough for each pie (4.8 oz for 14 inch pie) and put them in the freezer for next time.  I used the recipe in the Buffalo, NY cookbook as follows.  It has been posted on this site before.  I did make everything exactly (with the exception of sauce as noted) but adjusted all the ingredients for two 14 inch pies since I can't fit the 18 inch ones in my oven. The sauce recipe doesn't make sense so I used a full can of tomato paste and added enough extra crushed tomatoes to equal the two cups it says it makes.  Also I took someones advice cooked on pan for shorter (9 minutes for me) and only left it on my stone for 1 minute.  I didn't have hi gluten flour so I made my own by adding gluten to AP flour using calculator I found online.

Buffalo pizza
(From The Buffalo New York Cookbook, The Countryman Press, 178 pages, $19.95)

Buffalo pizza dough

Prep Time: 25 hours (15 minutes active); Yield: 2 dough balls

0.24 ounce active dry yeast
28.8 ounces warm water (80 to 85°F)
3 pounds (48 ounces) high- gluten flour
0.96 ounce sugar
0.96 ounce sea salt
1.4 ounces shortening
Add yeast to a large bowl. Add water and whisk to blend. Pour into stand mixer bowl. Add flour and mix on slow. Sprinkle in sugar. After 2 minutes add salt. You may have to stop and scrape the sides to help dough come together. Restart mixer. After 2 more minutes, add shortening and mix 3 minutes.
Remove dough to a clean bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth, and let rise for 45 minutes. Cut into two balls, place on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Take dough out 1 hour before use.
Buffalo pizza sauce

Yield: 2 cups sauce (enough for two 18- inch pizzas)

3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ounce tomato paste
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil (or minced fresh)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Add olive oil to a large saucepan on low heat. Add tomato paste and water. Stir to thoroughly combine.
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir to combine, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool.
Buffalo pizza

Yield: Two 18- inch pizzas
1 cup bench flour
2 rounds Buffalo Pizza Dough (see recipe above)
8 teaspoons shortening
2 cups Buffalo Pizza Sauce (see recipe above)
42 ounces shredded mozzarella
4 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
⅔ cup sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun spice, or Parmesan (optional)
1 pound sliced pepperoni (preferably Margherita)
Preheat oven to its highest setting, preferably 550°F. Place pizza steel in the oven. After it reaches 550°F, keep oven closed for 1 hour.
If you have advanced pizza dough moves, this is where to show them off. If you don’t, cheat. Generously dust dough “bench” with flour (about ½ cup). Turn one dough round in on itself underneath to form a ball. Press down in the center and push out toward the edges repeatedly while also moving the dough in a circle clockwise for 15 seconds. Lift dough, dust the surface with flour, flip dough, then stretch from the center out to the edge while turning the dough in a circle for 2 minutes, and forming a slightly raised lip. Repeat until pizza is as wide as the pan and even throughout beyond the edge.
Use a paper towel to grease the entire surface of an 18- inch pizza pan with shortening (4 teaspoons). Place dough on pan and stretch out to arrange it so it reaches out a hair shy of the pan’s edge.
Ladle up to 1 cup of sauce from the center out in a spiral until it’s evenly spread out over the dough up to ¼ inch of the edge. If you’re making it Bocce Club style, ladle the sauce over the edge of the crust.
Evenly spread 21 ounces of cheese over the sauced dough. If you’re making it Bocce style, let the cheese cover the entire surface of the dough, including the crust. If you’re making it La Nova style, leave the crust rim cheese- free. You can either leave things at that or brush optional olive oil (2 teaspoons per pizza) along the rim and sprinkle sesame seed, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun spice, or Parmesan on the crust ½ inch from the edge toward the center all the way around.
Evenly distribute half the pepperoni so that when you cut the pie in 8 slices there are 10 to 13 slices of pepperoni on each one. If there doesn’t seem to be room, just do your best to pile them in between each other— the pepperoni will shrink as it cooks and things will fall into place. Don’t worry if things don’t look exactly symmetrical. Controlled cup- and- char chaos is the effect you’re going for. If you’re making it Bocce style, make sure you have some pepperoni on the cornicione!
Place pan in oven for 10 minutes. Slide pizza off pan onto the steel and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Slide pie back onto the pan, cut into 8 slices, and serve.
Repeat for the second pie.

Nice writeup. Did it compare to any Buffalo staples in your opinion?

Offline 1moreSlice

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
My first try with the hi gluten flour and after reading this and the other thread started by og. I didn't have the cup or char pepperoni so I cut what I had thick. Dough turned out great. I just need to make it thicker next time.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:33:23 PM by 1moreSlice »

Offline rebeccasa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:17 PM »
Nice writeup. Did it compare to any Buffalo staples in your opinion?

To be honest I'm not from Buffalo and haven't been in a few years but my husband who's from Buffalo says it was def on par with his favorites.  He went to Picasso's a few month ago on a visit and said it was as good.  I thought it was really good! I wouldn't change anything that I can think of.

Offline 1moreSlice

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
This is my 2nd attempt last night. I made the dough thicker but it was more of a Chicago deep dish than a Buffalo style this time around. It was really good though. I will have the Buffalo thickness next time. I did it on a 13" pan but have a 16" coming which I think will give me that Buffalo thickness. I used a straight Bonta based sauce which is good but I want to have a great sauce.

I have a lot of cooking experience but had never made a pizza until about a 6 weeks ago. Now I honestly can say I think I would rather have my own pie than Bocce's. I live right around the corner from them and they have been terribly inconsistent for a long time. Leonardi's was a great pie 9.5/10 times. Bocce's is more of a 1/2. Now that Leonardi's is closed I will have to keep working until I have a Leonardi's level pie. I have a little work to do on the sauce but my dough I think is there. I'm not sure what the difference between Leonardi's and Bocce's sauces are/were, they are very similar but they are not the same sauce. IMO Leonardi's was better.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:00:20 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline CupnCharRoni

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
Moved this post over to here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42106.msg628590#msg628590

Seems like that thread is more about recreating the authentic taste and style that has been deviated from.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 02:29:58 PM by CupnCharRoni »

Offline chunk28

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2020, 04:07:42 PM »
Hey I live just across the pa line 30 min se of Erie and my favorite pizza shop uses battistoni cup and char it’s really good and has a little spice to it I believe you can get it online

Offline matermark

« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:48 PM »
I KNOW THERE'S A LOT OF TALK ABOUT CUP & CHAR, I looked thru some old bookmarks and found a Serious Eats test of stick pepperoni here:

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2013/01/taste-test-pepperoni-sticks.html

It looks like it's from 2013, but it has some good points. It was a taste test.

Embedded in this article was this, about pepperoni curling:

https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl.html

Hope this helps!

Offline matermark

« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2020, 10:53:20 AM »
This just out in this week's back issue of PMQ Pizza Magazine, October 2019:

The Key Features of Buffalo-Style Pizza...

Here's an excerpt:

Defining Buffalo-Style

According to Patrick Kaler, president and CEO of Visit Buffalo-Niagara, four key features define the Buffalo style of pizza. “First, it doesn’t have your normal outer crust,” Kaler says. “The sauce and toppings go all the way to the edge of the pizza. The sauce has a little sweeter taste to it. The pepperonis are cup-and-char. As for the cheese—you have to have that perfect cheese pull on it, so when you pull the slice off the pie, the cheese is really trying to fight you.”

In a nutshell, Bovino adds, “It’s a Detroit amount of cheese, with a Motor City trim, a Maine undercarriage, and a New York City soul.”

But cup-and-char pepperoni is perhaps the true defining feature of Buffalo-style pizza. Once ubiquitous across the country, these delectable mini-grails of goodness fell out of favor nationally over time before making a comeback in recent years. Alternately known as “roni cups” or “Old World pepperoni,” they never went out of style in Buffalo. “If you want to say that Buffalo didn’t invent this pizza style, that everybody was doing it back then, that’s fine,” Bovino says. “But no one else has been doing it like Buffalo has in the past 30 years. Buffalo is the curator of this style of pepperoni.”

https://www.pmq.com/a-bite-of-buffalo-style-pizza

Offline matermark

« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
Margherita Stick, hand-sliced...

Offline Cragganmore17

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
For a rectangular pizza, are people hand stretching to shape and then laying out the dough in a greased pan or plopping the dough ball in a greased pan and pushing it out like a sicilian? 

Offline cola__st

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
Been doing a pizza every week or so over the last little while. Been changing things slightly each time.
I’m really happy with how this one turned out.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Nice!!!
Is that a really large pizza or are those really tiny pepperoni slices?
Sure is a lot of slices.
FGM 800-B

Offline matermark

« Reply #214 on: August 31, 2020, 12:58:13 PM »
I would guess each rack is 12x17 or 13x18.

Offline cola__st

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2020, 09:17:21 PM »
Nice!!!
Is that a really large pizza or are those really tiny pepperoni slices?
Sure is a lot of slices.

It’s a 18” pie. Doing it on a round aluminum pan, greased with lard. I let the oven heat up on 525 for about an hour and, then I put the pan on stones in the bottom of the oven for about 12 minutes, then up to the top rack on broil for about 2 minutes for some colour.
My oven is gas, which is nice, but it is not convection so I’m having some difficulty with getting a nice melt on the cheese.
The pepperoni is Venetian from Hamilton, ON. Making it work with what I can find up here in Canada. I was using Battistoni early on but found it to get a bit too crisp/was a little spicy. This Venetian is really smooth and has a great flavour, with a slight bit of kick to it.
Flour for the dough is Ardent Mills “Super Keynote” Strong Bakers Flour. Cheese is Saputo Deluxe Pizza cheese which I get at costco. I tried about a dozen cheeses before settling on this one. I make the sauce with San Marzano tomatoes.
Overall, I’m learning a lot every week. Having never made a pizza before March, I think I’ve come a long way. Plus, it’s doing a lot to keep me sane until I can get back stateside for some proper pies.
This whole thing has got me considering opening a place up here.

wordpress