A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Jersey (Newark style) Italian Hot Dog "Pizza Bread"  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Hobbs

New Jersey (Newark style) Italian Hot Dog "Pizza Bread"
« on: April 02, 2014, 04:40:55 AM »
I have yet to encounter anybody who has not lived in NJ but has tried an Italian Hot Dog...I am certain at this point it is a food indigenous to NJ. hopefully, somebody here is familiar with them as I am trying to replicate the signature "pizza bread" that they are served in. I have tried my go to pizza dough recipe but it hasn't come close..

Anybody by chance replicate the bread?

Here are examples of the finished hot dog and the bread alone.

If you haven't tried one...you owe it to yourself!!! They truly are amazing...

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: New Jersey (Newark style) Italian Hot Dog "Pizza Bread"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:54:13 AM »
Hobbs:  I grew up a 15 minute (kid walking speed :) ) From Jimmy Buffs (the original site).  As kids we walk there and watch those babies being made in that special frying set up that was angled.  I have made them many times since I no longer live in NJ. You need to make a really wet same day pizza dough with a high yeast amount and bake the round on your stone.  Walter
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:11:29 AM »
Hobbs:  I grew up a 15 minute (kid walking speed :) ) From Jimmy Buffs (the original site).  As kids we walk there and watch those babies being made in that special frying set up that was angled.  I have made them many times since I no longer live in NJ. You need to make a really wet same day pizza dough with a high yeast amount and bake the round on your stone.  Walter

Walter thank you!!

Jimmy Buffs  are great!! I miss them very much now that I'm in NC. I also like Tommy'ys in Elizabeth and Dicky Dees in Newark.

I have two 5lb packages of the 8/1 Bests provisions hot dogs in the freezer for when me and the wife get the "jones"...I had a hunch a higher yeast recipe would give a better result. The pizza bread had a hybrid pizza dough/white bread texture and a high rise.

I.will try a 65, maybe 70% hydration dough

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
I eyeball my buff dough so am not sure of the hydration.  Iwould go 73% or more. make it real wet.  You don't want a dense bread.  Where did you grow up?  I started in Bellville and then South Orange.   Walter
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:03:56 AM by waltertore »

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
I eyeball my buff dough so am not sure of the hydration.  Iwould go 73% or more. make it real wet.  You don't want a dense bread.  Where did you grow up?  I started in Bellville and then South Orange.   Walter
Hey Walter, I was born in Perth Amboy and was raised in Rahway. Unfortunately, Jimmy Buffs isn't as good as it was when I was a kid.

I prefer Big Blue's in Linden when I go back now.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »
Hey Walter, I was born in Perth Amboy and was raised in Rahway. Unfortunately, Jimmy Buffs isn't as good as it was when I was a kid.

I prefer Big Blue's in Linden when I go back now.

I haven't been to Jimmy Buff's or any of the NJ Italian hot dog places in over 30 years.  I  use to visit friends at the big bad hotel you guys have there.  I was a bit off my nut in my younger days running around with some crazy Italians...............  Luckily I had my music and am 1/2 Polish or I would most likely be a tombstone by now :)  Walter

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
What about Jerry's hot dogs in Elizabeth?
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:48 AM »
I haven't been to Jimmy Buff's or any of the NJ Italian hot dog places in over 30 years.  I  use to visit friends at the big bad hotel you guys have there.  I was a bit off my nut in my younger days running around with some crazy Italians...............  Luckily I had my music and am 1/2 Polish or I would most likely be a tombstone by now :)  Walter

I think anybody who grew up in NJ, at least north NJ, has a little nut in them..haha...

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
What about Jerry's hot dogs in Elizabeth?

I'm more partial to Tommy's

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
I think anybody who grew up in NJ, at least north NJ, has a little nut in them..haha...

I miss it- the nuts.  But I don't miss the high cost of living and traffic, stress.   Too bad you can't have the nuts without the other stuff.  Here I got more countrified nuts that are also very interesting :)  Walter

Offline rob430

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
The second pic shown of “pizza bread” above is my pic I posted on TFL. I tried experimenting with pizza dough, baked in a pie plate, with a SS jigger for the hole. Came out ok, but wasn’t puffy enough. That pic got around on the Internet.......lol. I haven’t been able to find a true recipe.