A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Caribbean Oven  (Read 272 times)

Offline stonecutter

Caribbean Oven
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:28:07 PM »
Hey Everyone, long time no talk! Well, Iím finally beginning the process of building another oven...this time in the Caribbean.  I was happy I documented the process of some of my other builds here and there on the interweb so I could look back on them. So Iím starting another thread here documenting this build.

There are no suppliers of refractory materials here on the island, so everything is being bought off island and shipped in.  I have a local contact with a supply chain and so Iím working with him to get what I need.

The plan is to build something around 30Ē because of space, occasional use, etc etc...I donít need a large oven and I usually only bake one pizza at a time. 

Iím having the contractor we hired for all the work we are doing take care of the block work for the oven. I donít have time and itís not that critical. The masonry done on the island is...well....marginal at best (see attached pictures) and not even close to what should be considered best practice.  But, they are masters at stucco (read: hide horrible masonry) and the stand and cabinet boxes are all stucco, so ther you go.  Hereís where we are right now with the kitchen part of the pavilion...plus the view from the inside.
When we build, let us think that we build forever.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

Re: Caribbean Oven
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »
Thisíll be a long process with shipping time and me finding time to build. We are heading to Europe for a month again so Iíll be looking for inspiration there too!
John Ruskin

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 06:56:45 AM »
Looks like a great location for a pizza oven.  Will you have trouble finding wood to burn in it or will the local woods be okay?

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »
I really enjoy seeing your projects and some of the things you have visited in your travels. Thank you for continuing to post about them.
-Tony

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:09:41 PM »
Looks like a great location for a pizza oven.  Will you have trouble finding wood to burn in it or will the local woods be okay?

Thanks Barry. No, wood wonít be a problem to source. The island is full of oak and few other nice hard wood species and itís readily available...plus we had several cut down on our lot for this project so thatíll hold me for a while.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:12:51 PM »
I really enjoy seeing your projects and some of the things you have visited in your travels. Thank you for continuing to post about them.

Thank you! We are headed back to Europe for a month on Wednesday and this time we will stop in Naples on our way to Amalfi.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:18:53 AM »
More progress..oven and Argentine  parilla to start in a month or so
John Ruskin