Author Topic: my pans aren't flat  (Read 112 times)

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
my pans aren't flat
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
In my quest to make good bar pizza, one chronic problem I've had is that the crust isn't as crispy as I'd like out near the edges.  I'm wondering if the problem is the pan.  I preheat my pizza stone to 550 (takes an hour), then I put the pizza in the pan on top of it.  Thing is, the bottom of the pan isn't perfectly flat, so once on the stone, the only part that's touching is a small section at the center.  Might this be causing my edge crispiness problem?  And if so, how can I flatten the pan?  The metal is flexible enough that basic pounding on the bottom has no effect.  And I'm afraid to hit it any harder for fear of putting a serious dent in it.

--pat--

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: my pans aren't flat
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
You're best off getting a new high end pan.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: my pans aren't flat
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
Get the heaviest weight pan (14-ga. for aluminum or 22-ga. for tin plate steel) you can find from a commercial source. All pans will tend to warp a bit but light weight pans warp a lot more that the heavier weight pans. Warped pans are not a problem in IR or air impingement ovens but when used in deck ovens the air gap under the raised portion of the pan (where it is not contacting the deck) can create problems with the bake, and the higher the baking temperature the worse the problems are.
Tom Lehmann/the Dough Doctor