A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Oven shelf depths  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Oven shelf depths
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »
I've been looking to get a new oven. One must-have feature is the ability to fit an 18" stone (or steel). The oven at the top of my list is 19" deep, except the oven shelves angle upward in the back, which makes the usable shelf depth less than 18". Does anyone know an easy way around this?

I had a similar problem with a previous oven, which I worked around by flipping one of its shelves upside down. I'm not sure yet if that'll work with this oven, though. Another possible fix I've considered is to find a shelf that isn't meant for this oven. For example, my current oven has flat shelves, but I'm not sure yet if they'd fit in the oven I've considered buying (which is on sale through tomorrow).

Any ideas? Thanks.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline wahoo88

Re: Oven shelf depths
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:28 AM »
I've been looking to get a new oven. One must-have feature is the ability to fit an 18" stone (or steel). The oven at the top of my list is 19" deep, except the oven shelves angle upward in the back, which makes the usable shelf depth less than 18". Does anyone know an easy way around this?
Any ideas? Thanks.

Maybe you could put some sort of a shim under the steel in the front so that the contact points are the top of the angled part of the shelf in the back and the shim in front?
Dan

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
Ryan,

I had the same issue when I was sizing my oven for steel.  I bought 1/2 steel tubing from the fabricator.  You can probably find it at Home Depot or Lowes.  The tubes allowed me to raise the steel up and fit over that annoying lip at the back of the oven shelf rack.  I went from a 14" depth to 17".  That's a lot of oven real estate  ;D. Hope this helps you.
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
As long as I'm interpreting everything correctly, I think I already had both of those ideas in mind. So it's good to get other people saying what I was already thinking.

If Wahoo is saying what I think he's saying (which is similar to what Mary Anne is saying), that probably won't work easily for me because the shelf lip extends about an inch above the rest of the shelf. (To me, "shim" indicates something considerably smaller than an inch.) I like how y'all are thinking, though, and that may be the way to go.

Mary Ann, are you saying you bought two steel tubes and use them as feet (or risers) for the steel? Like one across the width of the front and one across the width of the back? Which makes it so the lip does not block the steel from going farther back in the oven?

This is the oven (unless something weird happened when I googled it): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-30-self-cleaning-freestanding-gas-range-stainless-steel/9171082.p?id=1218994548663&skuId=9171082. The reviews are awesome, but I'm sure none of the reviewers had any need to use the entire depth of the oven.

If anyone has other ideas, please keep them coming. Thanks.
Ryan

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
I needed a more substantial oven rack for my steel as we recently bought a house and the oven that was here had really flimsy racks.  We took one of the existing racks with us to a used appliance store and the found a used rack that had thicker material.  It was not 100% identical in its configuration but it did have the safety 'bends' in the right places.  You may find a similar local business and do the same but with your goal being to not have the tilt, etc.  Best of luck!
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:49:30 AM »
As long as I'm interpreting everything correctly, I think I already had both of those ideas in mind. So it's good to get other people saying what I was already thinking.

If Wahoo is saying what I think he's saying (which is similar to what Mary Anne is saying), that probably won't work easily for me because the shelf lip extends about an inch above the rest of the shelf. (To me, "shim" indicates something considerably smaller than an inch.) I like how y'all are thinking, though, and that may be the way to go.

Mary Ann, are you saying you bought two steel tubes and use them as feet (or risers) for the steel? Like one across the width of the front and one across the width of the back? Which makes it so the lip does not block the steel from going farther back in the oven?

This is the oven (unless something weird happened when I googled it): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-30-self-cleaning-freestanding-gas-range-stainless-steel/9171082.p?id=1218994548663&skuId=9171082. The reviews are awesome, but I'm sure none of the reviewers had any need to use the entire depth of the oven.

If anyone has other ideas, please keep them coming. Thanks.

Ryan,

I actually bought four 1/2" square steel tubes to run from side wall to side wall that act as risers for the steel to sit on top of to have full use of the 17" depth that my oven has.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27552.0
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
Maryann set her square steel tubing directly on the shelf, but you can just as easily run the tubing from side wall to side wall, sitting it on the shelf lip, and remove the shelf entirely. Here's an example that gives you a rough idea:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12692.msg126602#msg126602

The only difference is that you'd be using square tubing to support the plate rather than flat steel bars, and you'd be using 4 tubes rather than 2 to support two steel plates.

The advantage here would be that, if your lip, is, indeed, an inch high, that means you'll need square tubing taller than an inch.  That's going to be pretty big.  As you go larger in tubing the gauge increases, so the tubing will get heavier and the additional thermal mass will extend your pre-heat. Instead of 1.25" or 1.5" square tubing, I'd go with .5" and run it from lip to lip.

I've used Dan's shim technique in a relative's oven, and, while it worked, it made me a little nervous, because it focused all of the weight of the front of the plate onto the relatively small shim areas. Also, unlike Maryann, with her 4 'feet' for 2 plates, the shim technique only works for one large 40ish lb. plate.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:21:29 PM »
Ryan,

I actually bought four 1/2" square steel tubes to run from side wall to side wall that act as risers for the steel to sit on top of to have full use of the 17" depth that my oven has.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27552.0
OK, that's what I thought you meant. So now I know it works, which pretty much removes all the stress I was feeling. Thanks for elaborating.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
I just got back from the appliance store. Although the Samsung oven (link in an earlier post) seemed really nice, I ended up choosing this model from GE: https://www.google.com/#q=jgb750sefss. Hope I chose well. It'll be delivered Thursday.
Ryan

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
My new oven was delivered yesterday morning. I didn't even have a chance to look at it until after 5:00 pm because I had to drive a Couchsurfing guest to Indy. But when I got back home I turned it on and tested it out.

Experience has taught me so far that:

1) With the oven set at 550, my stone can reach temperatures of at least 597 degrees.
2) My stone heats up almost as fast as the oven.

The NY style pizza I baked last night using blown dough (reballed a couple hours before baking) was very good. I put the stone on the bottom rack, yet it still seems like there is very good top heat, which I guess is reflected from the oven ceiling (as I believe the broiler stays off when the oven is on bake mode). Since I couldn't figure out how to use the oven's timer right away, I'm not sure what the bake time was, but I think it was somewhere between 5:00 and 6:00, which kinda surprised me since my stone was around 580 when I baked. Maybe I'll try calibrating the oven to +35 degrees soon and see how that works. I made a conscious decision not to rotate the pizza, and it turned out that I didn't need to rotate.

So far I'm very happy with this oven. It blows away every other home oven I've ever used. If I was rating it on a dealer's web site, I'd give it at least 4 stars (of 5 possible stars) because 5 stars to me means absolutely perfect or damn close to perfect. The only things that bother me at all so far are: 1) The oven compartment is a little lower than I'm used to; 2) It would be nice if the bottom drawer was a hair taller; 3) I'm not used to the feel of the oven door yet; 4) The black dot pattern on the oven window makes it harder to see into the oven, especially for me because my neurological disorder makes it hard for me to bend down to look through the window from straight ahead.

I can't think of any other negative things right now, and the four issues above are all very minor. And that's coming from a very picky person when it comes to things like this. If I made a list of things I really like about the oven, it would make that stuff look as minor as it really seems to be.

I'm kinda thinking it might be about time to make some bacon, eggs, and pancakes on the stovetop griddle accessory, which seems to heat very evenly. Particularly because my electric griddle heats very unevenly, which really bugs me. The heat on my electric griddle is almost under the perimeter of the griddle, which makes the the outer couple inches much hotter than the middle of the griddle.

I just rhymed.
Ryan

wordpress