A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pulled trigger on a Uuni 2  (Read 41661 times)

Offline Janus

Pulled trigger on a Uuni 2
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »
I've been making pretty consistent dough now for a while, I decided that i would not look at pizza ovens until i could make consistent dough.
The pizza in our home oven are pretty good, however at max 300c, and using a pizza stone, the dough still doesn't pop like i've seen in a good WFO.

I have read reviews on the original Uuni, mostly seems people struggled to get a crisp base and often the ceiling temp was a little high.  Uuni have now brought out a revised model, which has a 4mm thick aluminium base plate.  They claim it does much better at crisping the base, cooking at a solid 450 degrees.

I spent about 3 days trying to convince myself to wait until some reviews popped up on this new model, and then decided i'd just buy one and do a review myself once i have it.  I'm guessing delivery will take a while from Finland, by boat it looks like.  Also they've only just started shipping the new model so i may be in a backlog of orders.
The next option (we rent an apartment, so the oven needs to go on our balcony) was something like the Forno Bravo, which retails around $1800.  This is a bit too much for me to spend at this point, so $440 delivered for the Uuni looks worth a shot.

Anyway, hopefully it arrives sooner than later and i can post up some reviews and comments.  Looking forward to cooking some pizza at proper temps!

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
Re: Pulled trigger on a Uuni 2
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »
I had one of the originals and in the end it did not work for me - I hope the new model is better. I think it now has 4 legs (that fold), does not require a fan and is made of stainless steel, all three of those are nice updates (IMHO) - pls keep us posted and have fun!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Janus

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:38:42 AM »
Interested to hear why it didn't work for you.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:22:11 AM »
It was to hard to regulate / control the heat consistently using the fan and wood pellet feed system, the unit lost a lot of heat since it did not have any insulation. Everything got covered with a black soot which was a mess to deal with. It was hard to get the top and bottom of the pie done at the same time. The three legs made it a bit dangerous and it started to rust a little.

On the up side , when I was able to cook a good pie, they were pretty good. You can do a search and you should be able to find lots of info there were a few of us that had the original model, not sure if anyone is still using them. I sold mine for a big loss to someone that wanted something light to take camping. Not sure if it worked out for him...... when you get yours pls take some pictures and let us know how it cooks - it is a neat idea and I hope the new design works better......
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
In case some people forgot what an Uuni 2 looks like.   :-[

Offline ddee

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
I just looked at the video for this on youtube, quite interesting. Is that ash that is settling on the cooking surface, or flour from the dough?

Offline Janus

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback, will see how I go with it.  Hopefully the addition of a chimney will help minimise ash build up. 

Hasn't shipped, I think it's going to be a long wait.

Offline Janus

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »
I'm curious to see a real-world result.

The pies in the pictures and the video don't look like 2 minute pies to me. They look like they baked a good bit longer than that.

Also, I find it hard to believe you can bake on 450C aluminium. That's almost 300x more conductive than the stone I was using in my grill for 750F 2ish minute bakes. Maybe at 4mm it doesn't have enough mass to hold enough heat to burn a pie?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
In case some people forgot what an Uuni 2 looks like.   :-[
Where do you put the wood?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Janus

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
I may use road side scrounged dog nuggets for fuel for that "nutty" flavour.

Anyway watch this space people, hopefully the pizza out of this machine are an improvement on what's currently coming out of my oven.

Offline wlai

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »
Eagerly awaiting your report on the Uuni 2!  I really love how small it is so I can bring it to places and not just use it in the backyard.

Offline jar1087

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
Also eagerly awaiting your review. I have an original Uuni and am considering buying the new version. I also just posted some comments/tips about the original Uuni in another thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=27932

Offline Janus

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
There have been some delays in sending, they tell me it should ship by the end of next week. 

Offline Janus

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »
Uuni 2 has landed.

Offline wlai

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 03:07:48 AM »
Awesome!  I just ordered mine and hope to receive it soon.  Do share your notes when you get a chance to use it! 

Offline Janus

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
Few pizza from last night.  Hard to get the base crispy.  Workflow more important when cooking outside too, preparing the pizza in the kitchen was difficult, burnt a couple of them.

The uuni burns through the pellets too, need to get bulk pellets.

Thinking a mild steel base plate might improve the bottom of the pizza, but will obviously use more fuel in heating it up.

Offline Janus

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
So i've learnt/realised a few more things after cooking a couple of times outside with the Uuni:

1. Workflow is very important, having people over for pizza last night, i was running around too much.  Better off to have a bench set up outside, with all my toppings prepared so i can make and cook the pizza in the same area, and then cut and serve without having to go inside to the kitchen.  i was preparing and cutting the the pizza in the kitchen, which is about 20m from the balcony where the stove is.
2. The top can burn very quickly, so when cooking, keep focus.
3. The base temp is very important, more so probably when cooking at higher temperatures.  Hard to beat heat stone i guess for heat retention.  Not much point cooking at high heat if it's not even.
4. Dough management, i don't have much fridge space, i try to make my dough 3 days before cooking, however i usually ball the dough only in the morning before the cook up so i don't have trays of dough balls taking up space in the fridge.  I don't think this is optimal for the dough, would be better to ball them the day after making the bulk dough, then let them sit it out in the fridge untill a few hours before cooking.
5. I needed to use smaller pieces of cheese, i used bocconcini balls, the first pizza i made they didn't completely melt having only broken them in half.
6. The oven burns through pellets very quickly, so i need to continuously cook pizza while it's up to temperature, makes it hard to eat the pizza.  Perhaps we have to just stand around outside and eat them as they are ready? - or else i just eat when I can and let everyone else enjoy the piping hot pie?

So next time.
1. get everything prepped before cooking.
2. get a work area set up next to the stove.
3. Perhaps preheat the oven for a little longer, though aluminium comes up to temp so fast, i'm not sure it will make much difference.  There's a metal fabrication place near my work, I might get a mild steel plate cut to size, and see if it works a little better at crisping the base.

I found a company in Sydney who sell food grade compressed wood pellets at a much cheaper bulk rate, so at least i can run the oven a bit more cheaply than the last 2 cook ups which probably burnt through $20 worth of pellets.

Initial thoughts: Base temp is the main issue, but I need to do a few more cook ups and tinker with the oven before making a final judgement.

Offline Janus

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 10:25:30 PM »
I'm curious to see a real-world result.

The pies in the pictures and the video don't look like 2 minute pies to me. They look like they baked a good bit longer than that.

Also, I find it hard to believe you can bake on 450C aluminium. That's almost 300x more conductive than the stone I was using in my grill for 750F 2ish minute bakes. Maybe at 4mm it doesn't have enough mass to hold enough heat to burn a pie?

the 4mm plate definitely loses heat rapidly, even removing the door and putting my infrared thermometer on it, the temp of the plate about 10cm back from the entry dropped rapidly.

Offline Janus

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 10:30:40 PM »
I didn't document the fails. A "friend" reading this thread pulled me up on it:

1st fail, left in for 30 seconds too long, one side went black.
2nd fail, arrived on the balcony with pizza on peel ready to bake, realised fire had died down, re filled the hopper, waited a few minutes for it to get cracking (stop smoking), and then tried to slide the pizza into the oven, pizza caught on peel, 1/2 the toppings deposited directly onto the cooking surface.