A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My version of a SF mobile wfo.  (Read 49517 times)

Offline Eddie4

• I Love Pizza!
Re: expand on WG vs Saputo
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
The difference is the thermal conductivity. It's not a matter of how hot they get (should be about the same) but rather how fast they transfer the heat to the pizza. The lower the conductivity, the slower the heat transfer. Slow transfer from the bottom is critical to the overall heat balance of an oven operating at Neapolitan temps because the IR and convection that bakes the top of the pie is not as efficient as the conductivity and IR that bakes the bottom.

If your main style is Neapolitan, IMO, Saputo is the clear choice. If your main style is NY, the WG might be a better choice - you may even want something more conductive yet. One member here recently built an oven with a split floor - half higher and half lower conductivity. If he wants to make NP, he puts the fire on one side, and for NY, he puts the fire on the other side. It's a genius solution.

Got it,  split idea is brilliant!   so the next question is why use a Whitacre Greer fire brick say vs another?  Are they known for there bricks in pizza ovens or is it more than that?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: expand on WG vs Saputo
« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
Got it,  split idea is brilliant!   so the next question is why use a Whitacre Greer fire brick say vs another?  Are they known for there bricks in pizza ovens or is it more than that?

The WG pavers are significantly lower thermal conductivity than most fire bricks. For a long time, they were about the only option readily available for high temperature WFOs.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My version of a SF mobile wfo.
« Reply #282 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Finished my new mixer today!  It came out great!

Offline GlobalTJB

« Reply #283 on: October 09, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »
That paint job looks great.  Did you sandblast, clean with acetone and then paint or is there another step in there?

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #284 on: October 09, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »
You got it!  Sand blast, some hand sanding with a little body filler here and there. Wiped it down.....applied an epoxy primer then single stage paint. More work than most realize!  It was still fun and it really looks good.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #285 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
I like the color!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #286 on: October 10, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
Thanks Craig!  Ordered it on line....Hard to know exact color from computer screen but I picked it just because of the name of the color.

Inferno orange pearl metalic

Now it looks as good as it performs! 

Offline LaLabbo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2018, 03:39:44 AM »
Hey Tommy,

I'm planning to build an oven that should be permanently with a trailer.

Have you ever observerd problems with the durability of your brick ovens on a trailer?
Currently I'm thinking about a brick oven or one made out of stainless steel as a dome (in the style of a Pizza Party)

Thanks!

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
I have experienced zero structural issues with my oven. I have several surface cracks on the exterior finish. They appear in places that are affected by heat stress.  The cracks appear during use (700 + degrees) and shrink as the oven cools. Never had loose brick or crumbling mortar. The oven has been mounted to the trailer for a few years. The oven has been fired hundreds of times and has traveled thousands of miles. I am very happy with how well it has held up so far. I believe the key is a well built trailer with proper suspension and setup. Tandem axles are important part of how smooth a ride is achieved. My oven weighs 3200lbs and with the trailer fully loaded for an event the whole rig is 5000lbs +.

My advise is, do your research and use the best trailer that you can afford. If you use a brick oven on a trailer there is always a chance bricks may loosen. A stainless steel setup would most likely last longer but I am happy with my brick oven. Never worked with a Pizza Party oven but there are plenty of members who can share their experience. Hope this helps......Good Luck!!

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #289 on: March 15, 2018, 11:26:11 PM »
I'm looking to have a trailer built for my oven and i was wondering if you could offer any insight as what to look for in a custom build?
thanks

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
One of the first things to consider is what type of events will you be working. Myself. I prefer private events  where your setup is part of the experience. How much experience do you have. Do you have a mobile business? With that said, every detail as to how you serve your clients reflects in the design of your trailer. I made sure that my trailer had everything on it that was needed.
    Oven rotates (having the ability to rotate is priceless just asks those who cant)
    Storage for wood
    refrigeration
    Working food prep suface
    Hand sink
    Storage for all of my equipment (peels, tables, food containers, paper goods, tents etc)
    Generator/Inverter system (quiet run)
    Lights
    custom paint to match my tow vehicle
    Certified trailer with title (Not homemade)
I think there are individuals who would differ on their opinions as to the definition of custom. My trailers are totally custom. Every piece of steal, every nut and bolt was installed by me with the idea that the goal was to create the best pizza possible.
As for many on this forum, this started out as a challenge and it turned to a hobby, that eventually turned into a business. So, my advise would be, don't skimp on anything. Spend the money and get everything you need the first time. Save time, be efficient and make money! 

Oh yea.....and Have fun!

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »
Just started a new build for a new customer and thought I would post a few pics.....Very similar to my own with a few changes. I will post more as things progress. I hope to complete the project by Thanksgiving.

wordpress