A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My version of a SF mobile wfo.  (Read 48686 times)

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My version of a SF mobile wfo.
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
That's great news!  It's a little scary not knowing what you don't know!!!!

Thank again for the help..

Tom

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
Here's a few pics before I decided on mounting the oven to the trailer. This was the base coat before final finish coat.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:25:30 PM by Tommy G »

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
I'm taking the oven to a friends house tomorrow for a surprise birthday party. Expecting about forty people.  I will document the event and post the pics tomorrow night.  Stay tuned!!!

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »
Got too busy for pics but I got a few!

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »
Tommy,
Your oven is very nice.  I have wondered for a while about TXCraig1's ovens weight and now I wonder about the weight of your oven.  I realize they are not the same but, if you don't mind sharing the approximate weight of your oven - I'd be very interested in that as well as what considerations you make for moving something of that mass. How to you protect it from stress fractures, etc. or does that just go with the territory when you move it?  Love the red - and the wood bench!
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
Mine is 4,200lbs.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »
Here is the story of my oven coming home: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13438.0
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
Donjo911,

Funny you should ask about the weight........

I hope you don't mind but this leads me into a story as to how this oven came to be. I would be preaching to the choir if I had to tell you why I even am on this site but I started with an oven in the back yard and got hooked.  To make a long story short, I had a guy I went to school with who I knew pretty well, started a mobile business. He knew I had built my own oven and he knew I was experienced with cooking with a wfo. He wanted to expand the business. He asked me if I could build a semi permanent wfo that could be moved if need be.  At the time I had no idea. So the research began!

Most of my research was from this site and from the Italian web sites that I could translate. I chose to build an oven that look very similar to Stefano Ferrara. I built the oven in my shop. I'm a carpentry instructor at a vocational high school. I turned it into a mini project for my students. Needless to say, they Learned quite a bit.

When the oven was completed the deal with my friend fell through. I will spare you the details!

Now I'm left with an oven in my carpentry shop and no where to put it. I knew I couldn't leave it in my shop and if I loaded it on trailer I would need a fork lift. I also knew that where ever I took it I would need a forklift to remove it from the trailer. So I decided to buy an old boat trailer and modify it to carry the oven. I knew from my calculations that the oven would be in the 3500-4000lb range. I found a tandem axle trailer that would handle the weight. I brought the oven home.

Word spread pretty fast that I had an oven that was mobile. Friends started calling to bring the oven to their parties!  So now I'm at at crossroad.  Do I start a mobile business or do I just sell the oven?

But to answer the original question, I'm estimating the weight at about 4000lbs. I have a truck-stop close by and I intend on getting it weighed.  I will let you know when I do....

As far as the vibration, with the weight of the oven and the tandem axle suspension the trailer rides surprisingly smooth. The oven was not built specifically for a mobile but I feel confident with the construction of the oven that it will hold up well.  Time will tell.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
Here is the story of my oven coming home: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=13438.0
Thanks Craig.  What had me thinking was I recalled that you "needed a bigger forklift" and the remark about potential damage to your concrete patio/deck.  Thanks for posting this.  The reason I asked about the weights is I have a 30* slope from the road down into my back yard. When I buy/build/have built an oven - I would like the option of taking it with me when I move again.  Short of a crane or helicopter - I don't know how it would be done. Thanks for your help with my early research!

So now I'm at at crossroad.  Do I start a mobile business or do I just sell the oven?

Tommy -Thanks for the story and the details. What a fun and crazy ride!  Isn't it like "your baby?"  I suppose you could build another one - or buy one - I think I'd get, perhaps irrationally, attached to it!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:23:45 AM by Donjo911 »

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
I turned it into a mini project for my students. Needless to say, they Learned quite a bit.
If only my kids had a shop teacher like you! Their school district did not place the same value on what I consider practical skills & trade skills like wood & metal shop, auto mechanics, etc.  I thought that had been removed from curriculum's across the country. Glad to see it's alive and well on the right coast! If you have pictures of your class working on the oven - that would be cool to see!  Did you do bakes with them at the completion - or were you saving that step for your buddy/customer?

Thanks for sharing!
-Don

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:19 AM »
There is definitely an attachment to the oven but with what I know now the next one will be even better.  Because I went into this project not knowing the true outcome there are small details that would make the project that much easier and increased quality of the finished product.
I feel more confident about the vision I had in regards to the apperence of the oven with the response I have received from this site. I just don't know where to go from here. In the next few weeks I will be starting another build. I think this might be the beginning of an obsession!

Tom

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
.  The reason I asked about the weights is I have a 30* slope from the road down into my back yard
Back the forklift in down the hill.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
Hey guys, just came from the local truck stop. Weighed my oven and found it to come in at 3600lbs exactly. Thought it would have weighed more but am happy to see it came in a lighter than 4000lbs. Its still heavy for the average fork lift. The oven has a 5 foot diameter so i have to use extensions on the forks to pick it up. Its a little nerve racking moving it around even when I consider myself an experienced operator.

Tom

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
Mine weighs 4200lbs, and I moved it with a 5000lb forklift which is small as you typically see. I could feel it getting light at the back, but it wan't a problem. The one thing that would have been a problem is that the forks were really too short for an oven with the diameter of mine. Luckily, the warehouse where I picked it up let me borrow their fork extensions.

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
My oven is exactly five feet in diameter at the base but the face of the hood sticks out beyond the oven by 12 1/2 inches. Even with the extensions I'm not able to pick it up from the front.

Txcraig     What are you outside dimensions?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »
My oven is exactly five feet in diameter at the base but the face of the hood sticks out beyond the oven by 12 1/2 inches. Even with the extensions I'm not able to pick it up from the front.

Txcraig     What are you outside dimensions?

The base is 65" + 6" hood. I'm surprised mine weighs 800lbs more than yours.

The extensions I used came off an 8,000lb forklift. Maybe that's the difference. They would be plenty long to pick your oven up from the front with room to spare.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
 I've used square stock as extensions in the past.  It looks like you're in a great place to get ahold of some and fabricate a set.
When we build, let us think that we build forever.
John Ruskin

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
The base is 65" + 6" hood. I'm surprised mine weighs 800lbs more than yours.

The extensions I used came off an 8,000lb forklift. Maybe that's the difference. They would be plenty long to pick your oven up from the front with room to spare.

The expanded clay insulation in your oven is more then likely much more dense then the materials we use here in the states.  I would bet that is where you pick up the weight.  My 42" oven is 63" external and weighs somewhere around 3000 lbs. based on the weight of everything I put in it.  I kept very close track.
-Jeff

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
Yea.  That is surprising that mine is lighter. I'd like say it's a trade secret but I would be lying. Eight hundred sounds like a lot but when you add to the thickness of say the outer stucco finish or the layer on top of the dome or maybe the steel legs the oven sits on. I think it adds up. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about!!!!!

Offline Tommy G

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
Hey guys! Looking for some opinions on the length of stove pipe use on mobile oven. I used 36inch on this one but was thinking of using 24inch on the next one.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:17:28 PM by Tommy G »