A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dawn Foods, Garland, Texas KASL  (Read 1338 times)

Offline woozy

Dawn Foods, Garland, Texas KASL
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
The only flour I've ever used for pizza is Caputo red package.

Dawn Foods has 50 lb bags of King Arthur Sir Lancelot for "around" $13.00 , but their minimum is $75.00. I think I can find some people to split an order, but...am I spoiled by the Caputo?

Opinions appreciated.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Dawn Foods, Garland, Texas KASL
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
Forgetting about cake flour, it would be hard to find two flours that are more different.

For the vast majority of people, neither is the best choice for pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline woozy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
Sorry, I don't get it. They are talking about the Caputo Red that I use just a few threads down...

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:03:29 PM »
Caputo "red" could mean two things - Caputo Chef's flour in the 1Kg red bag or Caputo Rinforzata. Whichever the case, the Caputo 00 flour is rather different than KASL.

For most people, neither is a particularly good choice for pizza. If you have a WFO or other way to bake at temperatures in excess of 850F, the Caputo is a good choice. In lower temperature ovens, it doesn't brown well. KASL really isn't a good flour for any type of pizza, IMO.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
The KASL flour is one of the few choices available where one is looking for a high-gluten flour that is unbromated. However, before committing to a 50-lb bag, it might be worth buying a small bag (from KA) and testing it out. High-gluten flours are predominantly used to make NY style pizzas (and things like bagels). There are arguably better flours with lower protein content than KASL but those flours at the professional level are mostly bromated.

Peter

Offline woozy

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 02:13:17 AM »
Thanks, guys.

I use Lodge cast iron griddles to make thin crust pizza. I don't get 850*, but I'll bet I'm getting 750*. I'm moving the pizza from an extremely good (old) broiler to a very hot stove burner. My cook time is about 3 minutes or less, and that includes turning from the broiler to the stove. :)

I'll order a small bag of KASL. I probably should have posted on the noob thread, but can you suggest more suitable flour?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:14:59 AM by woozy »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
The choices in most of Texas are somewhat limited. Down here in Houston anyway. When I was baking in my BBQ @750-800F for 2:00-2:15 or so, I used KAAP with good success.