A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What do vegetarians eat?  (Read 30463 times)

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
Re: What do vegetarians eat?
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2015, 12:43:58 AM »
Or better, Tempeh!

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2015, 04:24:30 AM »
Tofu (ginger + soy sauce) with rice salad

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2015, 02:58:38 AM »
Fettuccine with hungover mushrooms and walnut.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
Veg and sushi rice monolith.   Necessity being the mother of invention in this case.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »
Very tasty and cool looking!!
jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
What did you use as a mold?
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
What did you use as a mold?

In this case a cheap plastic "glass" from our picnic set that happened to look about right, greased with EVOO to aid release.  I often use glassware for molding rice, just about everything in my cabinet with a bit of a taper has been or will be filled with rice eventually.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #167 on: December 25, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »
Quick lunch nacho
the proof is in the pizza

Online FeCheF

« Reply #168 on: December 25, 2015, 02:38:54 AM »
I am not "knocking" vegan dishes, because i love vegetables and im sure a well balanced vegan dish could be "filling" My complaint is that alot of the "dishes" on this thread, and pretty much most ive seen online do not look filling with the lack of body/fat. And this could be vegetable oil to add that body/fat. So my question is why does bland/heathy low fat go hand in hand with vegan cuisine?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #169 on: December 25, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
So my question is why does bland/heathy low fat go hand in hand with vegan cuisine?

Hardly. I gained 20lbs in a month eating vegan: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36807.25

Speaking solidly from experience here - you should try it before you criticize it. You can't appreciate how difficult vegan is until you try it.

Also note that this thread is about vegetarian eating - not vegan.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #170 on: December 25, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Does this look bland?!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #171 on: December 25, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
Let me get near it and it will..........empty! :drool: :-D

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #172 on: December 26, 2015, 05:02:49 AM »
I am not "knocking" vegan dishes, because i love vegetables and im sure a well balanced vegan dish could be "filling" My complaint is that alot of the "dishes" on this thread, and pretty much most ive seen online do not look filling with the lack of body/fat. And this could be vegetable oil to add that body/fat. So my question is why does bland/heathy low fat go hand in hand with vegan cuisine?

I can understand that a lot of veg/an dishes can look less than hearty, it's a fair comment.  Personally, I get through a bottle of olive oil as quickly as anyone, and have zero complaints about my meals not being filling, and blandness has thus far not been a complaint either.  Sometimes I go a little too far with the flavour if there's a valid complaint to be made.   I do hold back on the richer fats, using butter, ghee, cheese sparingly, although that's more to offset my regular pizza indulgence than stemming from my vegetarian bent.

If the food posted in this thread looks bland and unable to fill a stomach, I'm not sure I can convince you otherwise.  If you're ever in my neck of the woods (New Zealand) I'd love to prepare you a meal for a fair assessment.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #173 on: December 26, 2015, 05:05:01 AM »
Does this look bland?!

it's 11pm and now you've made me hungry.   

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
    • Willard Gustavsen
« Reply #174 on: December 26, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »
Nice thread you have going here!! grew up vegetarian with lots of eggs (grandparents had thousands of chickens and sold the best eggs around) lots of milk and cheese too.....and real butter. So i guess its what you get used to. You need to know your nutrition, which my mom did.....she taught it. I had my first hamburger when i was in my early twenties. I get the pull.....nothing like the smell of grilling.
My sister gave me some vegan broth recipes. The soups i have been doing are steeped not boiled. I used to pick nettles in the woods for my moms nettle soup.....that was amazing....with Norwegian flat bread on the side. I haven't found a source for nettles yet so i have been using kale. it takes five min and all you need is a $29.00 electric tea kettle. Best of all its piping hot and gives you the feeling you are eating a cooked meal....not raw.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »

I wouldn't associate low fat with bland at all, and not to even go there, because nutritional bias and information is very debatable but you shouldn't be getting full from fat. High fat is more of a paleo thing... most vegans are trying to get out of ketosis. It's funny you mention low fat because most vegans I know avoid the gourmet vegan restaurants because of all the fat with the nuts and seeds and cold pressed oils. Vegan is a broad term, there are vegans that live on french fries; you mention you love vegetables but I eat mostly fruit. I'm in love with this lifestyle though; what an amazing platform to be creative with food.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline schold

« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »
What do vegetarians eat? Everything 'cept meat.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Online FeCheF

« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2015, 08:08:40 PM »
What do vegetarians eat? Everything 'cept meat.

I wouldn't consider eggs meat, but i know a few that wont eat eggs.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2015, 08:20:46 PM »
I wouldn't consider eggs meat, but i know a few that wont eat eggs.

It's a meat in transition though, just like any other fetus. Just sayin'  :P :-D

jon
Jon

Online FeCheF

« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
It's a meat in transition though, just like any other fetus. Just sayin'  :P :-D

jon

Is there a such thing as a vegetarian cake? Just sayin'