A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What do vegetarians eat?  (Read 31023 times)

Offline dylandylan

What do vegetarians eat?
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »
I get asked this all the time.   

Stir fried broccoli, cauli, mushroom and tofu on soba noodles, with a little sambal.

Offline Donjo911

Re: What do vegetarians eat?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
When my son chose to became a vegetarian at around 17, I made every effort to both accommodate his choice and embrace it. For almost a year and a half we completely changed our diets.  We only ate steak occasionally perhaps 4 times that year - when he was out. I am the family cook so I took it as a challenge to make what tasted good to me. It was really not that hard. Plus, it was a great excuse to buy a VitaMix, a Panini Grill, and other stuff to "learn" more about how to make veggies and legumes without making soup or mush.  In fact, aside for your body getting used to all the additional fiber, which is interesting, I generally felt better most of the time - though I recall craving animal protein probably because of my "habit."  What's more, with all the great sauces, and seasonings, you can make almost anything taste great.  I don't think I'd go permanently back to vegetarian - but I totally understand how it can be done and done well.  DylanDylan, as usual - you're stir fry is just as beautiful as your pizzas. Nicely done!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
Great you supported your son's decision like that.  I decided similarly at 15 (a little over 20 years ago) and also had supportive parents which I appreciate to this day.  At the time I started cooking most of my own meals, which weren't spectacular by any stretch but I survived just fine.   I find that most people who have tried vegetarian meals have seen that the variety of what's possible is vast, but I still find myself encountering people who aren't sure what's left to eat once you take meat out of the equation.

So I thought I'd start a little thread to leave some photographic evidence that I don't go hungry :-)

Where's @steelplayer?   I'm sure he could chime in with some appetizing creations.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
You're right about trying to be supportive. When my son started his "vegetarian" diet it initially consisted of candy and copious amounts of crackers and chips. I had the whole, "No son of mine is going to eat like that!!" moment and started making food.  I can't compete with you or SteelPlayer on the beauty of pics but I'm going to attach somethings that I thought was creative and tasted great.  It's completely made up. I mean, c'mon! How often do you find 30% spinach in a bulgar and legume homemade veggie burger?!  :-D  (modified to be a bean curd, legume, and mushroom burger (with some spinach) for round 2!

I like your thread. I'm glad you started it and I will post to it as I do love veggies (and am quite partial to prepackaged fried tofu too)
Cheers Dylan,
Don

PS - Are you anywhere near Waiuku?  My father in law lives there - has for about 15 years.

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
Since you got me thinking along the lines of eating more veg... You have changed tonights menu to Yellow "fridge crisper" Curry over jasmine rice.  Broccoli, Bell pepper, Carrots, Onion, Shallot, Ginger, & spinach, with just a few remnant mushrooms.  I also have some frozen okra I may add too.   Ah, the power of suggestion! ;D  However, tomorrow night (I'm sorry) it's carnitas and quacamole night :drool:
Cheers,
Don

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
Hahaa, I'll never know the pleasure of carnitas. However those 30% spinach burgers look great.  I have a heap of spinach that needs using... now I have a plan.

Offline kiwipete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »
What do vegetarians eat?

Easy: margherita, marinara..

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
What do vegetarians eat?

Easy: margherita, marinara..

:)

Funghi.   Puttanesca.  Aglio e olio.   No shortage of pizza toppings that's for sure.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 02:00:09 AM »
My daughter went vegetarian a few months ago. She will be very happy that there is a vegetarian thread here.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »
PS - Are you anywhere near Waiuku?  My father in law lives there - has for about 15 years.

Sorry missed this - I'm at the other end of the country from Waiuku.  It's very near Auckland - our largest city, and a nice spot, but I've only passed through and haven't spent time there.   I may well head north again though after my time down south in Dunedin.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »
And Don, those square burger patties look amazing!  Were those v1.0?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
I don't think I could ever go vegetarian - I like meat.  I just eat whatever I want and don't worry about it.  It turns out I eat meat about twice a week, maybe 4 oz. total. 
John

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 12:01:31 PM »
Hahaa, I'll never know the pleasure of carnitas. However those 30% spinach burgers look great.  I have a heap of spinach that needs using... now I have a plan.
Thanks!  If you don't already have one... may I recommend a hamburger patty press. They sell them everywhere in the US perhaps there too. I tried to make them by hand but since they are so wet and can break easily until they start to cook - the press really helps maintain shape. You still have to be careful turning them - but it works much better.
Cheers,
Don

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
And Don, those square burger patties look amazing!  Were those v1.0?
Thanks!  They are just giant extra firm tofu squares. I saute them in garlic oil, soy sauce, and ginger plus some butter to help promote color.  They are really tasty!
Cheers,
Don

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
They are just giant extra firm tofu squares. I saute them in garlic oil, soy sauce, and ginger plus some butter to help promote color.  They are really tasty!

Sounds like it!   Will put this on the list.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
I don't think I could ever go vegetarian - I like meat.  I just eat whatever I want and don't worry about it.  It turns out I eat meat about twice a week, maybe 4 oz. total.

I'm a to-each-their-own kind of guy,  not attempting to sway anyone :-)   

Offline Kale dog

• love the smell of a pizza baking.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 06:59:48 PM »
Nothing but carbohydrates, I know because I recently stopped being vegan after 2 years  ;)
*Sigh*

Offline Donjo911

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
Nothing but carbohydrates, I know because I recently stopped being vegan after 2 years  ;)
I miss your old avatar! Bring back the cabbage dog, Kale Dog!
Cheers,
Don

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
I'm a to-each-their-own kind of guy,  not attempting to sway anyone :-)

I didn't think you were.  I was just trying to say that I eat vegetarian 90% of the time because it's what I like, not because it's a conscious choice.
John

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »
I didn't think you were.  I was just trying to say that I eat vegetarian 90% of the time because it's what I like, not because it's a conscious choice.

Right I'm with you now, cool.   If you do have any go-to veg dishes I'd love to know, I'm always keen to see what other folks are eating and expand my repertoire.

wordpress