A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What do vegetarians eat?  (Read 30442 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: What do vegetarians eat?
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
It's a meat in transition though, just like any other fetus. Just sayin'  :P :-D

jon

Last time I checked, the eggs you get in the store are not fertilized and hence not a fetus. For that matter, it wouldn't be a fetus even if it was fertilized and fully formed in the shell. A fetus is nourished by it's mother while it develops and is born live.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline schold

« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
Is there a such thing as a vegetarian cake? Just sayin'

Yeah, a pizza pie topped with Nutella, mascarpone, banana and nuts.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
Yeah, a pizza pie topped with Nutella, mascarpone, banana and nuts.

Not going to pretend to know the ingredients in nutella or mascarpone, but do they include eggs?  ;D

Seems mascarpone is a cheese so no eggs.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:53:39 PM by FeCheF »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Last time I checked, the eggs you get in the store are not fertilized and hence not a fetus. For that matter, it wouldn't be a fetus even if it was fertilized and fully formed in the shell. A fetus is nourished by it's mother while it develops and is born live.

BUT, for many vegetarians, and most ALL veagans, they come from a living protein animal, thus not part of their diet. I would think the unfertilized sperm or ova/ovum or gametes/germ cells from animals would NOT be considered vegetarian and certainly not vegan, though some in the vegetarian group make exceptions

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »
Just saying an egg from the grocery store is not a fetus - nothing more, nothing less.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline schold

« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
Not going to pretend to know the ingredients in nutella or mascarpone, but do they include eggs?  ;D

Of course. Wouldn't be a cake otherwise  :)
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
Of course. Wouldn't be a cake otherwise  :)

The point i was eventually getting to was that the vegetarians i know that wont eat eggs, eat store bought cake.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
There are many kinds of vegetarians (and vegans). See, for example:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/tp/TypesofVeg.htm

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
Just saying an egg from the grocery store is not a fetus - nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with that, just making a point on the VEE list, would not be considered a veggie  ;)
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline schold

« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
The point i was eventually getting to was that the vegetarians i know that wont eat eggs, eat store bought cake.

Let them eat cake!

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »

Either uneducated, or make the exceptions and many are off and on again. If I had a known vegan or vegetarian coming for a meal I would tell them. Like feeding a Jewish or Muslim person pork or shellfish in a dish, I would not hide that from them

jon
Jon

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »
Simple but so tasty.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
Simple but so tasty.

Yup, and just two of the many reasons why vegetarian is a walk in the park compared to vegan.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:40:42 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2015, 10:50:09 PM »
No animal products... and yet still a (cup) cake ;D
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2015, 11:00:19 PM »
Yup, and just two of the many reasons why vegetarian is a walk in the park compared to vegan.

Yes indeed.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:20 PM »

Yeah that's about as inconsistent as you can get.  I'd imagine these folk to be in the minority - the veg/ans I know are quite consistent with what they do/don't eat and are well-informed about ingredient lists.

Having said that, I can admit a related personal fault here.  One ingredient I try to keep out of my diet is gelatine.  I know full well that gelatine is in a bunch of foods, and I generally succeed in avoiding them.  However gelatine creeps into all sorts of places, and recently I've discovered that the most popular sour creams in New Zealand, which never used to contain gelatine, now do.  Some sour creams, generally the boutique-y ones, are still gelatine free.    Anyway, this is my current challenge, to not fall into buying "store bought stuff" that contains gelatine.  Increasingly hard to do effectively, unless you demand a full ingredient list...

I'm often just requesting vegan dishes when I'm eating out these days, especially if it's a new place.  Not because I'm vegan, which I'm not, but because it's just a simpler way of knowing what's on my plate.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2015, 12:13:04 AM »
Aside from vegan (personally think there crazy, especially raw vegan)
That is my main reason for not taking it serious when i vegetarian confronts me. (they do) sorry dont take offense. It seems like alot of people that go vegetarian like to make it well known how much better it is then people who choose to follow instinct.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »
Aside from vegan (personally think there crazy, especially raw vegan)
That is my main reason for not taking it serious when i vegetarian confronts me. (they do) sorry dont take offense. It seems like alot of people that go vegetarian like to make it well known how much better it is then people who choose to follow instinct.

Ahhhhh......that's crowded place, been there a few times.Professing the benifits or not, pro or cons is all over the place with herbavore and carnivore thing, people eat and believe what they want, just can't go with the "other one" is wrong in their beliefs nor do I want some pushing on my beliefs. It's just about respecting the other persons habits, no fingers, but I would be as informed as possible to a persons dietary or other needs if they were a guest or if I was cooking their food profesionally upon request. Lotssss of slippery places.........

jon
Jon

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2015, 12:33:11 AM »
Ahhhhh......that's crowded place, been there a few times.Professing the benifits or not, pro or cons is all over the place with herbavore and carnivore thing, people eat and believe what they want, just can't go with the "other one" is wrong in their beliefs nor do I want some pushing on my beliefs. It's just about respecting the other persons habits, no fingers, but I would be as informed as possible to a persons dietary or other needs if they were a guest or if I was cooking their food profesionally upon request. Lotssss of slippery places.........

jon

Sometimes it feels like its worse then politics.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2015, 12:53:21 AM »
Same thing pretty much........
Jon