A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: JD's NY  (Read 65672 times)

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: JD's NY
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 09:28:48 PM »
Are you still on the steel at 500 (reflected reading off steel?) as you posted earlier?  If so, why do you prefer that to going hotter if I may ask?  - esp since you are so adept on the WFO.  :chef:
Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
If you can eat 8 NY slices in one sitting, you deserve some kind of award.    ;D

Thanks!

Thanks jvp, but I didn't do any tests this time. I know, shocking! I'm lovin' my current setup.

I ate a Margherita at Keste, walked across the street and ate a large pepperoni pie at John's.  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online jvp123

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »
I ate a Margherita at Keste, walked across the street and ate a large pepperoni pie at John's.  ;D

When did Keste open?  - I never noticed it on the street, but I may have been blinded by the John's sign when I hit Bleeker.
Jeff

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »
Are you still on the steel at 500 (reflected reading off steel?) as you posted earlier?  If so, why do you prefer that to going hotter if I may ask?  - esp since you are so adept on the WFO.  :chef:

No actually this was 530 on a Kiln shelf. Regarding the steel, if I went any hotter the bottom would be very uneven in color and the top would not be done yet. 500 on steel was the highest I could go and still get an even bake.
Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:15 PM »

You know, I thought I recognized your TPS picture from somewhere

-Josh

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
    • Slice to Meet You
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »
These are some damn fine looking pies JD! What type/brand of cheese are you using on your plain cheese pies? I'm really liking the color of the finished bake on the cheese.

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »
These are some damn fine looking pies JD! What type/brand of cheese are you using on your plain cheese pies? I'm really liking the color of the finished bake on the cheese.

Thanks Stavs. I just use Sysco Arrezzio whole milk mozz that I get from a local pizzeria.

There are a few things I do to ensure good color:

1) Amount of cheese: I use 250 grams for my 18" pizza. If you do the math, that's about 1 gram per square inch of pizza.
2) Amount & thickness of sauce: I use just about 7 volumetric oz of sauce. Again, if you do the math it's 0.0275oz per square inch ( <-- nerd alert ). The sauce should be thinner than you think. Think the consistency of heavy cream, it should spread pretty easily.
3) Shred: The thicker the shred, the more orange/white contrast you should see.
4) Length of cheese boil: When cheese first starts to boil it has very large bubbles. After a couple minutes the bubbles get smaller and in higher numbers. In my opinion the smaller the bubbles the more oiling off the cheese has done which means it gets that greasy-orange color.

Of course, all this is just my opinion and your results may vary.

-Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Jeez, Josh!  That pizza looks incredible.  :drool:
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Jeez, Josh!  That pizza looks incredible.  :drool:

:D Thanks, it may have been the best tasting NY style I've ever made.

-Josh

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
    • Slice to Meet You
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 08:03:07 PM »
Thanks Stavs. I just use Sysco Arrezzio whole milk mozz that I get from a local pizzeria.

1) Amount of cheese: I use 250 grams for my 18" pizza. If you do the math, that's about 1 gram per square inch of pizza.

I think I need to use less cheese. Keep up the great work!

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2015, 07:05:05 AM »
Steve,

Definitely try less cheese on the NY pies.  It's so good!
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
I made a few NY style pizzas for coworkers, and I was given some Jalapeno deer sausage to try on one. It doesn't look all that good but it was really savory.

The rest are pepperoni, pepperoni/onion, buffalo chicken. These were on steel and noticeably tougher than my last bake on a kiln shelf. I'm probably going to make a permanent switch to my kiln shelf soon.

-Josh

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2015, 09:48:30 PM »
More...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:52:30 PM by JD »

-Josh

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »
Professional looking pizza right there Dr J!!  Show Off!!
Bob

Online jvp123

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2015, 12:52:19 AM »
Amazing JD!  You're pretty good at this pizza making thing.  ;)
Jeff

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
beautiful JD
Deb

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

2) Amount & thickness of sauce: I use just about 7 volumetric oz of sauce. Again, if you do the math it's 0.0275oz per square inch ( <-- nerd alert ). The sauce should be thinner than you think. Think the consistency of heavy cream, it should spread pretty easily.

Mate, I had a good chuckle to myself when I read points 1 & 2 ( <-- nerd alert ) - aren't we all nerds here when it comes to pizza  :-D
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Online jvp123

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »
I was gifted an Axner kiln shelf (has a Thorley stamp on it though), and below is my first attempt.

This was a 6 minute pie launched on a stone temp of 580*. It was overdone on the bottom but great everywhere else. I think the kiln shelf is a better fit for my oven than 1/2" steel. Lots more testing to come.

Josh how do you cook a pie like this at 580 for six mins and get such an even, lightly brown rim and not burn the bottom?  I put my pies in on my 1/2" steel  at 575 or so and in under 3 mins my bottom is done but my rim needs more time ... I end up having to "dome" it on the broiler and I end up with a more uneven rim with dark spots in places before the rest gets brown enough for my liking.

Mary Ann, Norma, Craig (on his Johnny Clone) and many others seem to have a better knack for this color control, but I see you cook at higher heat then some of them so I'm more curious how you do it. 

Is it this kiln shelf thingy?  What's the secret?  :-D

Thanks!
Jeff
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:57:16 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
Jeff,

If I cooked on steel at 580, my bottom would be burnt in 3 minutes too.  I usually shoot for a steel temp of 515 for a 4 to 5 minute bake. The Kiln shelf transfers heat slower than steel, so a longer bake is possible at higher temperatures.

Figure out your bottom first, then time your top to finish at the same time as the bottom by supplementing with your broiler.

-Josh

Online jvp123

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Jeff,

If I cooked on steel at 580, my bottom would be burnt in 3 minutes too.  I usually shoot for a steel temp of 515 for a 4 to 5 minute bake. The Kiln shelf transfers heat slower than steel, so a longer bake is possible at higher temperatures.

Figure out your bottom first, then time your top to finish at the same time as the bottom by supplementing with your broiler.

Thanks for the advice Josh.  It's always been interesting to me how some people want the steel BECAUSE it gets super hot, can transfer heat fast, and can help achieve great oven spring.  And then others make exceptional pies with nice spring at much lower temps and longer bake times.
Or maybe its the 1.5% LDM I'm adding ...  ::)
Jeff

wordpress