A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My 80cm neapolitan-style WFO build  (Read 572 times)

Offline Peyronson

• I Love Pizza!
My 80cm neapolitan-style WFO build
« on: May 05, 2020, 04:11:25 PM »
Hey there

I've been working on my WFO project for a while now, thought it might be wise to get some feedback from the collective experience on this forum to avoid making mistakes.

So far I've constructed the steel stand form welded square profile steel, the round steel base is corten steel 125cm diameter with a 10cm tall edge. I've also bought the firebricks, all ingredients for the mortar and Saputo biscotti cut to 80cm diameter. Could not easily get a hold of pie-shaped pieces, so I had to make do with cutting from square pieces.

I chose to go with perlite concrete for the insulation of the base, the bottom layer is about 8cm thick, I'm thinking I might add a few cm more under the cooking surface followed by 4-5cm sand/ash/salt mix. Do you guys think 8cm would be too thin for adequate insulation under the sandmix?

I also need some advice on the diameter-height ratio considering the relatively small diameter - I've read that the dome height should be about 1/3 of the inner diameter, which would be roughly 27cm. I'm planning to make the solider course about 14-15 cm tall and total dome height of 28-30cm with a 22cm high opening. Is that a good ratio for neapolitan style pizza? Will it trap enough heat?

I live pretty close to a foundry so I made a plywood model of the oven opening and they fabricated it out of cast iron, hoping that will give the oven an authentic feel.

Tomorrow I'll rent a saw for cutting most of the firebrick, but probably let the base cure and dry out a little more before continuing the build.

Appreciate any input on measurements and other advice.

Cheers, Fredrik
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:15:28 PM by Peyronson »

Offline Peyronson

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My 80cm neapolitan-style WFO build
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 05:25:02 PM »
Not a ton of replies... :-\    I've really found it helpful to read about other builds though, thought I'd post my progress anyway in case someone else might find it useful.

Anyways I decided to proceed with the measurements i planned. This meant that the height of the opening is taller in relation to the dome height than most oven builds I've seen here or elsewhere, and I had to adjust for that when building the dome. I suppose this might affect the structural intregrity of the dome but I'm hoping it won't be a problem. I chose to add about 2cm extra perlcrete under the floor, thats topped with sand/ash/salt mix (maybe 5cm). Levelled with a layer of salt and then saputo biscotti. I didn't consider the reinforcing band when making the cast iron opening, so I chose to put a steel sheet behind it to make attaching the steel band easer (don't think i can weld cast iron, at least that's what the people at the foundry told me. Assembling the band will be next step before taking out the sand form.

Next I'll need to fabricate the exhaust and buy a flue pipe mount, planning to use corten steel sheetmetal for this since it's easy to MIG weld. Any opinions on wether 130mm diameter flue is adequate for this size oven?

Really hope my beginner level bricklaying is good enough to keep the oven from collapsing under it's own weight...!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:41:12 PM by Peyronson »

Offline Peyronson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 05:28:04 PM »
Whoops, forgot the pictures...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:35:09 PM by Peyronson »

Offline Peyronson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
A few more...

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »
Not a ton of replies... :-\   
Not many people are qualified to make comments on this build other than WOW you seem to know what you are doing. I couldn't dream of doing a project like this.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:13:00 AM »
Not many people are qualified to make comments on this build other than WOW you seem to know what you are doing. I couldn't dream of doing a project like this.

But this kind of thread usually get more WOWs   :-[
It seems that I missed it myself...

So... Woaw! Good job!!  :o (not kidding)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
I love build threads and your build looks like it is going well. From what I can see, you are a significantly better mason than me. I have seen several builds with perlcrete that is the height of a 2x4 (so 3.5 inches or about 9 cm). Looks like you are right in that range with your floor insulation. I'm not sure if the dimension is based on a calculation or just the lumber dimension.

One thing you might want to think about is some kind of hoop support around your soldier wall. It is a small oven, but when you remove the sand form, there will be some outward force on the the soldier wall. It won't be a huge force, but it will be there. For mine, I built a reinforced wall around the soldiers kind of following something moderator Tscarborough did on a build. Here's a link to some straps used to add some additional restraint to the walls in one build.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33303.msg359791#msg359791

and this is what Tscarborough did
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20117.msg201568#msg201568

and poured
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20117.msg202696#msg202696

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
My guess from the design so far is that he is going to rely on the exterior wall to provide the necessary lateral support, but if not, then yes, you need to accommodate it somehow.

Offline Peyronson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

I used a steel band of corten 40mmx1,5mm bolted with stainless nuts and bolts and a pair of stainless angle irons to get some tension, before removing the sand form. Hoping that will do the trick.

Did my best buttering the bricks up when building the dome but I have to say that the mortar gaps in the dome when looking from the inside left a lot to be desired. Suppose it's mainly cosmetic, but I still took the time to fill the gaps from inside. Not a particularly fun job, hard to reach properly. Oven is slightly too large for my arms to reach the back wall, but small enough to not allow crawling inside...

Figured I'd hopefully be looking up at this dome for years to come and it would bother me to see the gaps.

Planning the exhaust next - do you think 130mm or 150mm diameter makes any difference?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:20:48 AM »
That is what kids are for.

For the chimney, surface area of dome opening*15% is considered good, 10% is minimum.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
If the opening is about 8"x18", more or less, then a 130mm would suffice.  Can't go wrong going bigger though.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
It's my favorite picture from my build. She was 10.

wordpress