A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Calling for help making lasagna  (Read 2025 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
Calling for help making lasagna
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:04:43 AM »
Friends,
First let me start off by impleading help in locating a lasagna recipe that is on par with this forum's recipe and advice.  I have Googled for the past hour, and although some recipes make my mouth water, they lack the precision you get here.  For instance, I've learned through this forum that the difference between Escalon and Hunt's makes all the difference in the world.  Thus, when I see lasagna recipes, even from supposed professional chef forums where they fail to specify a brand of tomato sauce, I am turned off.

So (second), in case I were not able to find such a recipe, I would like to use the superior Escalon product instead.  However, Escalon does not make a tomato paste, or at least not that I am aware of.  Is there a way I could use Escalon instead of a generic tomato paste?

Thanks as always.

Offline Lydia

Re: Calling for help making lasagna
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »
At this time Escalon doesn't have a paste product available to consummers, the last I heard was that they are re-working the consummer line, that will hopefuly begin to be available after the 2007 harvest.

You may want to consider emailing Escalon, let them know you are an active member of this forum and that you are looking for a product similar to Bella Rosa Tomato puree (this is nice thick and smooth without the cooked flavors of paste.). They may at that point agree to sell you, for a one time deal the Bonta equivalant. These are the #10 cans and would be a wise choice for lasagna since more sauce is used. Also lasagna freezes well.

In comsummer sizes: they do have the Tucan Marinara, and it's a good possibility that the Bella Rossa Marinara is still available. When I visited the plant earlier this year It was expained to me that it shows as available on the site but it just doesn't list it on the ordering page, but that indeed it is availbe to order. I think it's worth inquiring about. These are RTU- ready to use, and good if you imply the quick cooking technique. Which is to use uncooked lasagna noodles and a wetter sauce. This allows for the noodles to pick up the sauce flavor and reduces prep time.

I'm sure the 6 in 1's can be used, and I would be surprized if anyone from this site hasn't used them. I prefer the thicker tomato products, becuase I like the control over the thickness. I usually make lasagna from my leftover pizza sauce and kick it up with fresh onion and garlic.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:14:37 AM »
I highly reccomend not using a paste for your sauce.† I use escalon 6 in 1's, stanislaus tomato magic, and sauce bases made by crushing alta cucina's, or any good quality whole tomato all the time.† I have found that the same principles that produce the best pizza sauce also work for lasagna sauce.† Do not pre cook the sauce, and do not over season the sauce.† †I like to use a good amount of flavoring in the lasagna such as fresh herbs and Parmesan/Romano mixed in with the ricotta plus garlic and onions sauteed with the pre cooked meat. With all this extra flavor I find that my lasagna is too strong if I flavor the tomato sauce.† Just a dash of salt and pepper is usually perfect to add to the plain tomatoes.†

I like to use ground veal and pork blended 50/50, but a good friend of mine makes a quick and easy lasagna with prego and those frozen meatballs you find in the grocery store.† †I hate to admit it but those pre made meatballs are really surprisingly good in a lasagna!† They let you skip the cooking step and allow you to make the lasagna in a few minutes.† I have also used a good Italian sausage along with ground beef with great success.† For a more rustic lasagna try slow roasting some hand diced meat and just stir in your sauteed onion/garlic after roasting the meat.

If you have any specialty Italian stores in your area you might want to check and see if they carry any high end "fresh" ricotta like the Calabro brand that comes in the metal† bucket.† Season with salt, pepper, fresh parsly or even basil, good strong grating cheese, and if you have to have a sweet sauce try a little honey instead of sugar.

I like to cover my lasagna with my favorite hand shredded mozzarella blended with some mild provolone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:18:40 AM by scott r »

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »
Not really in a position to write up a recipe now.  But Time/Life had a little cookbook called Italian Cuisine with an awesome "Lasagna al Forno" in it. 

This is best made with homemade lasagna noodles, very thin and about 9 layers deep.  The only red that goes into it is some paste.  Instead of ricotta, you make a bechamel sauce.  The filling is a classic Bolognese sauce, with celery, onion, prosciutto, ground pork and beef.  Parsley, bay and a few other herbs.

There's a similar recipe, though not quite as tempting (but plenty better than almost anything else I've tried), in "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" Marcella Hazan.  This is one fine book that I've barely scratched the surface of - like on a par with Julia Child's "Art of French Cooking" - seriously.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
My usual Lasagna is made using recipe in the Good Housekeeping cookbook from my Mom. Pretty simple recipe.

I have two changes:

1) I take my favorite Italian sausage, brown it, cook it for an hour in a minimum amount of the tomato sauce. Remove it, chill it, slice it very thin, and add a layer over the finished sauce (instead of browning hamburger and adding it to the sauce).

2) Intentionally repeat the mistake I made many, many years ago when I was first starting cooking, when the recipe said 1 clove garlic in the sauce. And I peeled every one of those little things in the clove.... :)  :-X

Love that Garlic!

- Al

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 09:10:41 AM »
My usual Lasagna is made using recipe in the Good Housekeeping cookbook from my Mom. Pretty simple recipe.

I have two changes:

1) I take my favorite Italian sausage, brown it, cook it for an hour in a minimum amount of the tomato sauce. Remove it, chill it, slice it very thin, and add a layer over the finished sauce (instead of browning hamburger and adding it to the sauce).

2) Intentionally repeat the mistake I made many, many years ago when I was first starting cooking, when the recipe said 1 clove garlic in the sauce. And I peeled every one of those little things in the clove.... :) :-X

Love that Garlic!

- Al
Garlic & pork fat rules!!!! 8)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 07:10:09 AM »
The last time someone posted in this thread before yesterday, Facebook had been open to the public for exactly one week  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
Stouffer's, It will do!!! :drool:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »
Here you go, :)

It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »
As an alternative to the classic lasagna alla bolognese, Italia Squisita just put out a video for lasagna al pesto which looks very good.  Apart from the pesto, it also contains besciamella, boiled potatoes and blanched string beans.  A classic dish from Liguria.  A great way to use garden basil other than for pizza.

Bonus Video:

Italia Squisita also recently put out a video for a home pizza recipe by Salvatore Lioniello for anyone interested.

Rolls

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:32:18 AM by Rolls »
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
As an alternative to the classic lasagna alla bolognese, Italia Squisita just put out a video for lasagna al pesto which looks very good. 

For a second, I thought that was Colonel Sanders without facial hair  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »
I once made the lasagne from the recipe in the "Dean and Deluca Cookbook." It was really good. For reasons I don't fully remember, it took me 2 or 3 days to make it. Partly to do with simmering for many hours and drying the fresh pasta I decided it needed.

Ira

Online FeCheF

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 09:37:05 PM »
Holy necro bumps bat man!

I have been really liking this lasagna roll-ups fad. Maybe its not a fad, maybe it will be here to stay. My wife did an amazing langustino lobster lasagna roll-ups a few months ago. Changed my perception of how lasagna should be served.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
Old thread is old, but...

I've made this one several times. It's great and now my go to.

http://italiasquisita.net/it/video-ricette/ricetta-lasagne-al-forno-aurora-mazzucchelli

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 04:03:59 PM »
I've not made lasagne in years i think....now got the urge to do so :-D

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
Made an awesome Lasagna today.  Handmade pasta, 6n1 tomato sauce in the bolognese, added some cream cheese in with the ricotta to smooth it out, blend of Grande and Muenster, and baked the day before.  It was excellent. 

https://carlsbadcravings.com/lasagna/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:19:58 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 11:32:05 PM »
The last time someone posted in this thread before yesterday, Facebook had been open to the public for exactly one week  :-D
Thatís how long it takes to make a good lasagna!
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 11:34:34 PM »
Made an awesome Lasagna today.  Handmade pasta, 6n1 tomato sauce in the bolognese, added some cream cheese in with the ricotta to smooth it out, blend of Grande and Muenster, and baked the day before.  It was excellent. 

https://carlsbadcravings.com/lasagna/
That is awesome, Chau. Havenít heard of using cream cheese before but it looks as though it came out great.
-Tony

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 09:28:02 AM »
Thatís how long it takes to make a good lasagna!

I'm not a fan of lasagna with ricotta or tomato sauce.  The only lasagna I make is alla bolognese with paper thin spinach pasta.  It ends up layered like a baklava and melts in your mouth.  It's an all-day affair.  It's based on a Batali recipe, but I can't find a recipe online that matches my workflow.  They're all dumbed down too much, especially shortened cooking times for each stage of the Bolognese prep, the use of frozen spinach in the pasta, and how the vegetables are too large a dice for the soffritto. I prefer a very fine bruniose that disappears in the final sauce.  It's frowned upon, but I'll use the food processor if I'm feeling lazy.  I forgo the pancetta, and use a beef, pork, veal blend.

If you really want to get crazy, try Bugialli's Bolognese.  It's like four or five pages of very fine print.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:41:04 AM by jkb »
John