A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Calling for help making lasagna  (Read 1617 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Calling for help making lasagna
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
I'm not a fan of lasagna with ricotta or tomato sauce.  The only lasagna I make is alla bolognese with paper thin spinach pasta.  It ends up layered like a baklava and melts in your mouth.  It's an all-day affair.  It's based on a Batali recipe, but I can't find a recipe online that matches my workflow.  They're all dumbed down too much, especially shortened cooking times for each stage of the Bolognese prep, the use of frozen spinach in the pasta, and how the vegetables are too large a dice for the soffritto. I prefer a very fine bruniose that disappears in the final sauce.  It's frowned upon, but I'll use the food processor if I'm feeling lazy.  I forgo the pancetta, and use a beef, pork, veal blend.

If you really want to get crazy, try Bugialli's Bolognese.  It's like four or five pages of very fine print.
All kinds of lasagna interest me, including the type you describe. I have not experienced a big difference in green pasta whether the spinach is frozen or fresh. I find frozen to be more predictable but would use fresh if I had some on hand that may go to waste. In that situation, in fact, being faced with wasting fresh spinach could be enough to motivate me to commit many hours to making lasagna.

Iíve had some nice results using, as you said, paper thin spinach pasta with many layers alternating with mornay sauce. There are a couple of soups I make where I use a fine brunoise dice because I like what they contribute texturally. Taking it up a notch, I like to color them up by flash frying (I should try roasting), which adds another layer of flavor as things break down.

-Tony

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
....................The only lasagna I make is alla bolognese with paper thin spinach pasta.  It ends up layered like a baklava and melts in your mouth.  It's an all-day affair.

My favorite is very similar to that except it layers thin fresh spinach pasta, bolognese and bechamel.  All the layers are pretty thin and overall it isn't very deep (thickness wise). It is pretty decadent.  The recipe is from Saver's Authentic Italian Cook Book. It's a two day effort for me.  I do the bolognese the day before because it takes hours. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:16:38 AM by parallei »

Offline ARenko

• David
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
i agree jkb (except on the paper thin part - lasagna can stand up to a bit of thickness in the pasta.  Still fairly thin though).  My favorite lasagna is with bechamel and bolognese with homemade spinach pasta and parmesan (no ricotta, no mozzarella).  I either use Marcella Hazan's bolognese or the lasagna I linked above.  Also, having spent a lot of time in Liguria, I like the pesto lasagna as well.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
My favorite is very similar to that except it layers thin fresh spinach pasta, bolognese and bechamel.

"Except"?  That's exactly what I do.   Maybe I wasn't clear.
John

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
"Except"?  That's exactly what I do.   Maybe I wasn't clear.

I was referring to the besciamella.  That is what I meant as the exception.  I didn't notice it your description.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 08:39:58 PM »
I was referring to the besciamella.  That is what I meant as the exception.  I didn't notice it your description.

The Batali recipe has besciamella.  Besciamella >>> ricotta in lasagne.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:42:14 PM by jkb »
John

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »

............Besciamella >>> ricotta in lasagne.

If ">>>>>" means better than, I agree.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:35:27 PM by parallei »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »
When we use ricotta we add romano in with it. Really adds to the flavor. 
Marty

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »
Sign me up as the only guy on the forum who likes ricotta in his lasagna!

I'll make biscuits if I want gravy.   ;D

IMO what ruins a good Italian-American rigot' lasagne is too much mozzarella. Maybe just a layer on top.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »
If ">>>>>" means better than, I agree.

In math, it would mean much, much, much, much greater than  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress