A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What is "Detroit" style pizza about ?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline amiart

• I Love Pizza!
What is "Detroit" style pizza about ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:55:36 AM »
I have never seen pizza with the stripes of sauce on them, I think I live in a sheltered from good pizza part of the country...  Please explain what the stripes of sauce are about ??

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: What is "Detroit" style pizza about ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
I have never seen pizza with the stripes of sauce on them, I think I live in a sheltered from good pizza part of the country...  Please explain what the stripes of sauce are about ??

amiart,

If you are interested these are three threads about Detroit style pizzas.  The racing stripes just became part of Detroit style pizzas, like the swirl of sauce and the cheese first is to some tomato pie pizzas.  At least that is what I think might have happened with the racing stripes.  The cheese is applied to the edges of the steel pan so the cheese gets that crispy part.  If the sauce would have been applied to the edges I really don't think there would be the real crispy edges on a Detroit style pizza.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21992.0.html

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
Please explain what the stripes of sauce are about ??

For me it's about not having every bite taste the same, and they look cool which may be almost as important as the taste.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline SavageHenry

• Pizzafication is what it is.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »
just personal observations...

I didn't know what Detroit pizza is. Being from Ohio originally, I have been eating "Detroit" pizza or some version of it, frequently and never heard it called "Detroit pizza" before. Maybe its an Ohio State/Michigan thing that the name was never uttered publicly.  :-D

Seeing pics from other threads reminds me of more than a few pizzas I ate back home. some do sauce under cheese with pepperoni on top some do pepperoni under cheese  sauce on top. but they all share that greasy dense bready crust with the baked on crunchy cheese ring around the edge.

Little Caesar Pan! Pan! comes to mind immediately when I saw it. LC isn't known for good pizza but I really developed a love affair with the square ones for quite some time.  It's the greasy dense crust combined with gooey cheese and sauce until you get to the edge with that... salty crunchy baked on cheese.  it's about mouth feel and textures as much as flavor.   Flavor varies from shop to shop but the textures and mouth feel are pretty much universal. 

There are a few other places that make this style that I enjoyed a great deal but I cannot recall them as the LC was cheap and plentiful so it was most common for me at the time. one place I went to a lot used to throw a massive amount of Jalapenos on top of the sauce for me. I asked "can you throw some Jalapenos on that for me?" and from then on that was my pie.  :drool:

I commented elsewhere about "Tommys pizza" being a taste of home... this style pizza reminds me of home as well.  Its like a thick and greasy pizza flavored cheese blanket. I love it.

Offline OHpizzaguy

• Quest for the perfect pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »
SavageHenry, if you’re from Ohio & know Little Ceasars, then you may also know Jet’s pizza. To me, they’re more of who I’d try to copy when thinking of “Detroit style”, specifically their 8-corner pizza special which is 2 slightly smaller square pies with each cut into 4 pieces allowing then for all 8 pieces to be corner cuts (with that delicious crispy cheesy baked corner).  To me, they are a much better quality version of Detroit style that’s available at least here in the greater Cleveland area!
I have yet to try to make one myself, but when I do, I intend to copy Jets as mush as possible!
Pizza brings people together!

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzeria DiLauro
    • Pizzeria DiLauro
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
SavageHenry, if you’re from Ohio & know Little Ceasars, then you may also know Jet’s pizza. To me, they’re more of who I’d try to copy when thinking of “Detroit style”, specifically their 8-corner pizza special which is 2 slightly smaller square pies with each cut into 4 pieces allowing then for all 8 pieces to be corner cuts (with that delicious crispy cheesy baked corner).  To me, they are a much better quality version of Detroit style that’s available at least here in the greater Cleveland area!
I have yet to try to make one myself, but when I do, I intend to copy Jets as mush as possible!

I agree, I like jets pizza

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 12:57:08 AM »
I believe Henry is long gone we are now working on Henry the 8th....these days.   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

wordpress