A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mary Ann's Mish Mosh Pizza Thread  (Read 76685 times)

Offline Simple Man

• Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow
Re: Mary Ann's Mish Mosh Pizza Thread
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2015, 07:09:10 AM »
Very Nice as usual Mary Ann. Makes we want to take a stab at a Sicilian. Is that sausage I see as a topping?
Dave

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2015, 08:02:12 AM »
Amazing as usual Mary Ann!  How did you adjust the formula for a same day?  Did you wing it in terms of how much IDY to use?  Um ... I'm assuming it was IDY?

Jeff,

I totally wung it.  I used 1 tsp of IDY and 1 tsp of EVOO.  Everything else from the recipe I use is the same.  Talk about laziness, I actually used a teaspoon instead of getting out my tiny scale, which is right next to the regular scale that I use for flour and water.  Sometimes when I do half-assed things, they come out good  ;D
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »
If I were, on my best laziest day, have 50% of your kind of "laziest" day results - I would be one happy pizza maker! I see you're book title now, 'Consistently Awesome Pizzas, by the Laziest Pizza Chef"  :)
You're incredible!!
Cheers,
Don

PS - Just another reason why Mary Ann was/is always better than Ginger!

Thanks, Don.  Ha ha on the Gilligan's Island reference!  I've definitely heard that a few times  :-D
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2015, 08:15:42 AM »
Very Nice as usual Mary Ann. Makes we want to take a stab at a Sicilian. Is that sausage I see as a topping?

Dave,

Thank you.  That was just a plain cheese with lots of bubbly browned goodness.  Having the right pan is key for Sicilian.  Before I got the Lloyds pan, my Sicilian pizza did not come out like this.  They were soggy in the middle and very frustrating to get just right.
Mary Ann

Offline Simple Man

• Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »
Dave,

Thank you.  That was just a plain cheese with lots of bubbly browned goodness.  Having the right pan is key for Sicilian.  Before I got the Lloyds pan, my Sicilian pizza did not come out like this.  They were soggy in the middle and very frustrating to get just right.

I'm going to invest in the Lloyds pans. Always wanted to try a Sicilain.

Sometimes when I do half-assed things, they come out good

That statement is absolutely hilarious! Can I use that for our company motto?
Dave

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
It's hard coming up with toppings during Lent when pizza night is Friday.

I'm addicted to roasted garlic, spinach, tomatoes, olives and feta finished with a killer evoo or Oregon white truffle oil.

John

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Happy Good Friday!

One plain and one with sautéed shiitake mushrooms  :drool:

Next week's pie will definitely have meat on them  ;D

Mary Ann

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
I give up....I'm out of things to say....just....wow......................
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
Very nice Mary Ann.  Love that shiitake mushroom pie especially.  :drool:  And I love that char side you got on both pies. Must be a nice hot spot in your oven.
Jeff

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
    • Instagram
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
It almost seems like you're posting the same pie over and over again, what consistency!

Anthony

Offline JD

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »
It almost seems like you're posting the same pie over and over again, what consistency

^^^
Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2015, 11:51:35 PM »
Had a pizza party tonight with 2 other families.  Made 5 pies and lots of wine involved.

1. Plain cheese
2. Pepperoni
3. Buffalo chicken
4. Veggie - sliced grape tomatoes, sautéed onions, mini peppers and shiitake mushrooms with some pesto post bake.
5. Mascarpone base with torn prosciutto di Parma and a drizzle of fig preserves and balsamic syrup.

No leftovers  :'(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:54:05 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:18 AM »
Where do I sign up?? I'd bring a CASE of wine just to sample those pies....Jeez.....sooo, sooo nice!!!
Bob

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2015, 01:28:28 AM »
Very nice Mary Ann!!! Great party!  :)
Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »
Way to do it girl.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2015, 06:35:57 AM »
Beautiful as always and what a nice variety for the party! 

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »
MaryAnn - your pies always look so awesome - always cooked exactly right.  Of course, there were no leftoevers!

I can't keep track....would you be willing to share how you prepare the pies, the recipe, ingredients, process, temperature, blah, blah? (Maybe if it is another thread, Peter will put it on the list of pie recipes - a place of honor  :chef: )

- Mitch
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:08:25 AM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
MaryAnn - your pies always look so awesome - always cooked exactly right.  Of course, there were no leftoevers!

I can't keep track....would you be willing to share how you prepare the pies, the recipe, ingredients, process, temperature, blah, blah? (Maybe if it is another thread, Peter will put it on the list of pie recipes - a place of honor  :chef: )

- Mitch

Thank you, Mitch.  I'd be happy to share, it may be a little long winded though.

Dough formula (use Scott123's formula from 123pizza thread with some tweaks of my own):

When using the dough calculator, the parameters I set are to have a .07 thickness factor and a 17" round shape.
100%  Flour (I always use Best Bakers Patent Flour - Protein 12.9%)
  63%  Water (filtered through refrigerator dispenser - don't know temp)
 .55%  IDY
1.75% Sea salt
2.98% Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Scott's recipe calls for vegetable oil but I prefer EVOO)
1.05% Sugar

Dough Workflow:

1.  In a large glass measuring cup, I measure out water from fridge and then add the IDY.  Stir with whisk to dissolve even though this is technically not necessary for IDY.
2.  Using my large stand mixer bowl, measure out the flour, then add sugar and disperse the sugar into the flour using the tines of a large fork.
3.  Attach the bowl with flour/sugar to the stand mixer and then attach the dough hook.
4.  Pour in the water/IDY mixture and turn the stand mixer on to low speed.  Mix for approximately 2 minutes, until a dough mass forms.
5.  Then add the salt and mix until combined.  Let dough rest for about 2 minutes.
6.  Add the EVOO and mix on the next highest speed for another 2 minutes.  Let dough rest for about 10 minutes.
7.  Do a series of 4 slap and folds (Craig's method) at 10-15 minute intervals until dough is silky smooth, covering with stand mixer bowl during rest periods.
8.  I do not bulk ferment or re-ball after 24 hours.  Measure out dough and form into tight balls making sure to get good surface tension by pinching the dough and placing the pinched part on the bottom into your dough container.  I prefer to use round 6-cup capacity Glad containers sprayed with EVOO using my Misto sprayer for each dough ball.
9.  CF the dough for 48 hours.  If I get lazy (which is most of the time  :-D), I'll make the dough the day before but will adjust the IDY upwards by winging it.
10.  On baking day, remove the dough from the fridge 2 hours before launch and let sit at room temperature.  In my house this is usually 70-71 degrees.
11.  At least one hour before launch, I preheat my steel to the oven's highest setting, at 550 degrees using the convection feature.  Preheat is usually longer than one hour though.
12.  Using a little bench flour, I dump the dough out onto the counter and gently push down on the dough while protecting the rim using my fingertips while trying to keep the dough round.  I do this to flatten the entire ball (protecting the rim), flip it over and do it again.  Then I take off any jewelry (because I learned the hard way that engagement rings like to put holes in your dough  :'()  Gently stretch the dough by moving my knuckles around the outer edge of the dough letting the dough hang off of my knuckles.  Gravity will help the dough stretch.  Do this until you achieve the desired size skin.
13.  I dress the skin on a wooden peel lightly dusted with cornmeal.
14.  At launch, the steel registers anywhere from 590 - 618 degrees, depending on the preheat time.  Once launched, I let the pie cook for 2 minutes before I turn it with a metal peel.  Then let it cook for another 2 minutes.  Usually my pies take 4 minutes.  Sometimes it's less, sometimes it's more, depending on how many I bake that day.
15.  Retrieve pie with metal peel and let cool slightly on a cooling rack for about 3 minutes.  Then move to a pizza pan to slice and devour.

My sauce

Some may disagree with my choice of tomatoes not being true to NY Style but to each his own.

28 oz. can of Sclafani Whole Peeled Tomatoes (Blue Label)  (I used to use Sclafani crushed tomatoes for NY style but now only use them for Sicilian pizza)
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon of EVOO, Frantoia brand
4 fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon ground oregano

In a large glass measuring cup, I puree all ingredients using my immersion blender (aka "The Boat Motor").  I usually do this about an hour before baking pizza and let sit on the counter for flavor development.  Maybe one day I'll try the MAE method...

Other favorite pizza topping ingredients in no particular order:

Frigo brand whole milk low moisture mozzarella loaf (5 pound loaf is about $12-$13 at Costco)
Trader Joe's Fig Butter thinned out with a little water and reduced on stove before using on top my Mascarpone/Prosciutto/Fig/Balsamic pie
BelGioioso Mascarpone (yields that nice buttery texture)  Don't use Aurecchio brand unless you don't like the greasy, buttery texture on your pies.  I used it last night and I didn't achieve that nice, melted butter texture I was looking for.
Citterio brand Prosciutto di Parma
Monari Federzoni 1912 brand glaze with balsamic vinegar of Modena
Shiitake mushrooms
Hormel Deli-sliced pepperoni (larger circles)

I'm sure there's a lot of things I'm leaving out that I would be happy to expand on, if you have questions.  Hope this is what you wanted, Mitch  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:17:31 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2015, 10:12:43 PM »
You are good Mary Ann.... :chef:

Come on Peter....posterity position please.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »
You are good Mary Ann.... :chef:

Come on Peter....posterity position please.  8)

+1

What he said.  She needs to be in the pizza hall of fame.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans