A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourdough Focaccia  (Read 2332 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Sourdough Focaccia
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »
I have been on a rip the last week or so making focaccia and Sicilian pies (by parbaking a focaccia then topping pizza style).  Tonight was a small (1/4 pan) sourdough focaccia with rosemary, garlic oil and salt.

KABF flour, 80% hydration, 2% salt, 2.5% oil.  The starter was @10% of Total Flour.  Overnight in the wine fridge at 62.  Panned and proofed during the day with a 4 hour proof.  Baked at about 475.

- Mitch

Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sourdough Focaccia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
Nice Mitch!  I think i"m going to try the pans that you bought before spending the $ on a lloyds pan
Deb

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:22 AM »
Very nice focaccia Mitch. That is the same formula I used yesterday. My method was a little different. I no knead mixed the dough the previous evening leaving it on the kitchen counter over night. Panned it in the morning and put it in the refrigerator until evening then at room temp for about an hour before baking at 450F.
Jim

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
Mitch, do you recall your mixing method for this? Might want to make a focaccia for sandwiches this weekend.

Offline mrmikemgm

• Lifetime Member
  • Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing!
    • Dr. Mike’s Landing Page
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
I have been on a rip the last week or so making focaccia and Sicilian pies (by parbaking a focaccia then topping pizza style).  Tonight was a small (1/4 pan) sourdough focaccia with rosemary, garlic oil and salt.

KABF flour, 80% hydration, 2% salt, 2.5% oil.  The starter was @10% of Total Flour.  Overnight in the wine fridge at 62.  Panned and proofed during the day with a 4 hour proof.  Baked at about 475.

- Mitch

Looks outstanding and what a great 2-fer... focaccia and Sicilian all in one nice sourdough package.  Can't beat that with a stick!
Favorite Culinary Toys
Bread Stone Ovens SP1400BR
Fast Eddy's FEC-240
CookShack CB048 Charbroiler
PolyScience Sous Vide Professional
HotMix Pro Gastro & Thermomix TM5
Mecnosud IM8M

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
Mitch, do you recall your mixing method for this? Might want to make a focaccia for sandwiches this weekend.

I do not remember exactly what I did but I can be pretty certain it was the same as the process outlined by Peter Reinhart in Artisan Breads every day.  With yeasted focaccia, I pretty much always follow it, so I am sure  it was what I did or close.

- combine all the ingredients except for oil.  Mix with the paddle attachment at the lowest speed for 1 minute.
- rest for 5 minutes
- drizzle the olive oil over the dough and mix on slow for another minute.
- scrape into a bowl and cover for 10 minutes
- 4 sessions of stretch and folds, 10 minutes apart
- cover and put away for the long ferment

When it is time to get going the next day, parchment paper over a baking pan.  Oil it with 2 tablespoons of oil and turn the dough onto the pan. Drizzle some more oil on top and start spreading the dough with a lot of spreading by dimpling with your fingertips.  It will not stretch out all the way.  Cover with plastic wrap.

If you want to go faster, warm the oven up by turning it on for about a minute and then turn it off.  Put the tray in the oven for 5 or 10 minutes.  Otherwise, at room temperature, wait as long as 1/2 hour.

Dimple the dough again and push it more by using your fingertips to dimple/stretch.  Again, do with a bit of olive oil on top.

You may have to do another wait and dimple again one more time.  Don't sweat the corners too much.

Let it rise.  Mine took 4 hours for the dough to rise to about the lip of the pan.

Top as you deem fit and bake at about 450 or so for about 25 minutes.  Rotate the pan 1/2 way through.

PS I have followed the same process and same dough for sicilian pies.  I posted them in the Sicilian pie section.  I tend to parbake the dough and then top it with sauce and cheese, etc.  If I don't parbake, I tend to put the cheese down first and then the sauce.  If I just sauce and cheese and bake, the dough gets to soggy for my taste....
Good luck!!!

Addendum
I just found that this person posted the entire yeasted focaccia recipe in their blog.  At least they gave Peter credit.
http://divatasticgladiator.com/peter-reinharts-focaccia/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:00:14 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

wordpress