A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gjelina information  (Read 3475 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Gjelina information
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
are there any threads on Gjelina pizza dough here in pm.com. i have heard their pizza is really good.

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
Gjelina information
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »
It's a three-day dough made with a preferment.  At one time Norma's go-to dough was a Lehmann dough made with a preferment.  The JerryMac Dough formulation is an east to follow introduction to working with preferments.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Gjelina information
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
 thanks, i will look for those threads. last time i was visiting new york i stopped at paulie gees and he raved about their pizza especially the dough.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
The last few years we've stopped in LA on our way to Hawai'i. We've either gone to Gjelina or their takeout window next door called GTA. I'm actually very struck by their toppings combinations. The dough reminds me a lot of the crust at Harvest Pizzeria in Columbus.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
thanks, for that information. i have had harvest pizza and loved their crust. do you know anything about the harvest crust?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:52 PM »
The last few years we've stopped in LA on our way to Hawai'i.
Is that a jet setters typo?  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:40 AM »
Larry,

I really don't know anything about Gjelina's pizzas.  This is one article that says the dough for the pizzas uses a pre-ferment and the dough takes three days. 

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/12/food/la-fo-gjelina-travis-lett-20110512

Two articles from Slice/Seriouseats. 

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/02/venice-ca-on-gjelina-and-the-rise-of-cheffy-pizza.html

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/daily-slice-gtas-squash-blossom-pizza-los-angeles.html

Norma
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:44:10 AM by norma427 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »
The pictures and writing in this article, http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/02/venice-ca-on-gjelina-and-the-rise-of-cheffy-pizza.html, make me think the dough is very heavily fermented. The author writes "The staff at Gjelina obviously cares because there's always a robust, bready tang in the crust to mitigate the swaths—not spots—of char. There's flavor to burn here, literally."

There are clearly a lot of big bubbles in the dough when they stretch it. It looks like someone intentionally scrapped off a lot of the black bubbles on the pie in the 4th picture. You can see the weakness of the gluten and pretty much complete lack of structure in the crumb shot.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 01:38:35 PM »
Reviving an old but good thread here.

I definitely think Gjelina's dough is very well fermented, but the dough doesn't look like it is super slack. There a great video that shows pizza in the beginning.

There's certainly a lot of fermentation going on...their crust blisters and bubbles and gets great color variation. It also has a hollow, spider-web like effect in the interior of the crust. That might be the lack of structure and weakness of the gluten you're thinking of...but then I watch that video and the dough doesn't look that weak when they are forming it.

The book essentially says 1) room temp bulk for 2-3 hours while being folded at 30 minute intervals 2) punched down and bulked again, cold, in the walkin for 24 hours 3) removed from the walk in, portioned, balled, and left to rise a final time.

I'm not sure how accurate that process is but the dough definitely looks like it has some strength but is still very well fermented. You can't get that fermenting entirely in balls. Believe me, I've tried.

Video here:

The pictures and writing in this article, http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/02/venice-ca-on-gjelina-and-the-rise-of-cheffy-pizza.html, make me think the dough is very heavily fermented. The author writes "The staff at Gjelina obviously cares because there's always a robust, bready tang in the crust to mitigate the swaths—not spots—of char. There's flavor to burn here, literally."

There are clearly a lot of big bubbles in the dough when they stretch it. It looks like someone intentionally scrapped off a lot of the black bubbles on the pie in the 4th picture. You can see the weakness of the gluten and pretty much complete lack of structure in the crumb shot.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:41:54 PM by hotsawce »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
That video is another example that you just can't get good labor in a pizza place.  They don't want to learn their job or work hard.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
That video is another example that you just can't get good labor in a pizza place.  They don't want to learn their job or work hard.

I was in a Blaze Pizza a few days ago, and I was really blown away by how slow and lackadaisical EVERY employee was. There was literally no give-a-s&^t to be found in that restaurant. That being said, the pizza was better than I expected.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »
I was in a Blaze Pizza a few days ago, and I was really blown away by how slow and lackadaisical EVERY employee was. There was literally no give-a-s&^t to be found in that restaurant. That being said, the pizza was better than I expected.

There are at least two statements in that paragraph that I never thought I'd ever hear from Craig

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
There are at least two statements in that paragraph that I never thought I'd ever hear from Craig

Well, you don't know what he expected.  Whatever you thought, maybe the bar was at an even lower height than that.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
I can't believe that Craig ever stepped foot into Blaze or that he liked it on any level.  Clearly, his account has been hacked ;)

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
They have something good going on, because it's clearly idiot-proof if they can turn out a decent pie with such unskilled labor.

From what I've tasted at Martina (been multiple times now) they are using the same oven and I've gotten burned pies, undercooked pies, pies cooked with flour. They use the same oven. Blaze is a very process-based pizzeria and it works for them. Lot's of valuable insight there.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 02:24:33 PM »
In what way did that video indicate the labor at Gjelina was not sufficient? To me, everyone looked like they were working hard and enjoying their job. THAT is a rare find in any kitchen.

Fact of the matter, Gjelina is a machine. For the variety they do, and how diverse their business is, I am truly jealous of what they've accomplished. I can only dream of doing something a fraction of that some day...

I'm a big fan of everything I've had there. From the pizza, to the veg, to the seafood, to their takeout and bakery arm.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
In what way did that video indicate the labor at Gjelina was not sufficient? To me, everyone looked like they were working hard and enjoying their job. THAT is a rare find in any kitchen.

Fact of the matter, Gjelina is a machine. For the variety they do, and how diverse their business is, I am truly jealous of what they've accomplished. I can only dream of doing something a fraction of that some day...

I'm a big fan of everything I've had there. From the pizza, to the veg, to the seafood, to their takeout and bakery

I was being sarcastic.  You've commented before that you can't get good help.  The guys in the video are kicking ass.  The world needs more Mexicans.

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
Gjelina's published dough formulation is:

Flour - 100% (53% Bread Flour + 47% Caputo 00 Flour)
Water - 77%
Salt - 4.2% (not a misprint on my part)
CY - 0.85%, (185g dough ball weight specified for 10-12 inch pizza)

Mix flour, water, and yeast for 3 minutes.  Rest 15 minutes.  Add salt and mix 5-7 minutes.  Fold dough mass and coat with oil.  RT fermentation 3 hours.  Punch down and fold dough mass again.  CF 1-2.5 days.  Divide and ball 1.5-3 hours before using.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
I have the book and I think the process could be accurate but from what I see in the video, there's no way that dough is 77% hydration.

They could also be doing a preferment as mentioned in that online article.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »
Gjelina's published dough formulation is:

Flour - 100% (53% Bread Flour + 47% Caputo 00 Flour)
Water - 77%
Salt - 4.2% (not a misprint on my part)
CY - 0.85%, (185g dough ball weight specified for 10-12 inch pizza)

Mix flour, water, and yeast for 3 minutes.  Rest 15 minutes.  Add salt and mix 5-7 minutes.  Fold dough mass and coat with oil.  RT fermentation 3 hours.  Punch down and fold dough mass again.  CF 1-2.5 days.  Divide and ball 1.5-3 hours before using.

Jonas,

Not at all questioning what you posted but in your opinion, given the flour combo, do you think it can hold that much water without turning out like a soup? Especially with Caputo?

Caputo is not known to be able to hold a lot of water and the company itself places their flour in the 55%-57% (Chef's flour). Even their "Americana 00" is listed at only 60%-62%.

http://caputoflour.com/sales-pos-products-specs/

When looking at the video, there's no way those skins are 77% hydration and being handled at the fast pace that obviously the kitchen operates under at Gjelina.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco