A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blackstone thrust bearings  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Coon88

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone thrust bearings
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
I was messing around on YouTube and I got led to this webpage, I don't have a blackstone but looks like this place has upgraded bearings forsale and also other pizza making items, as well a bbq. I need to stop at this place some time seeing how it's only about an hour from the house.

www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/product_p/tlpbsbearing.htm

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing

Offline jleonard711

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone thrust bearings
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
Or for $10.50 with 2-Day Prime shipping on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBGW3K/?tag=pmak-20

Or for just $4.41 delivered (shipped from China, ~2 weeks) here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25-x-47-x-15mm-51205-Axial-Ball-Thrust-Bearing-3-Parts-25-47-15-/181608142878

Offline Ar6entino

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »
I got mine from Amazon.
I have the v2 of the oven and i installed this while I was putting the oven together.

Offline PizzaPap

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
I got mine from Amazon in 2 days for $6.37 total.
YCDBSOYA

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »
I got mine from Amazon.
I have the v2 of the oven and i installed this while I was putting the oven together.

Can you still install them on the new model ? I thought I read that you couldn't on V2. Reason I ask is I just ordered my oven from Amazon and I believe it is the new version.
Sam

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
I'd give the oven a shot on its own first. Based on this post, I'm not sure the thrust bearing mod is necessary (or applicable) anymore. Looks like Version 3.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40479.msg403469#msg403469

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 02:20:18 PM »
I'd give the oven a shot on its own first. Based on this post, I'm not sure the thrust bearing mod is necessary (or applicable) anymore. Looks like Version 3.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40479.msg403469#msg403469

Thank you for the quick reply. So you are saying there is a 3rd version now ? Thought there was only 2. Wonder which one I got from Amazon...I ordered my BS oven Thursday It is arriving tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CELFJ4A/?tag=pmak-20
Sam

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »
I don't know if there is officially a new version. Version 1 to 2 had a few big changes including the regulator and the tank storage. That post was the first I  had heard about another change. Not sure the change is big enough to a new version.

I did 4 mods on mine:

stainless steel washers under the stone (not sure they do much but mods don't get much easier).

The thrust bearing  (I had a hard time getting it right and had the buy a tool. It looks like it helps but I'm not sure it would work on your oven.

The Chauflector. I used the end of a cheap spatula. Just broke off the handle. I've made pizza with and without the deflector installed and preferred it with the deflector.

Reverse the power wires. There are a few ways to do it. I cut the wires and spliced them. This changes the rotation direction of the stone. If it is turning counter clockwise, you can see the crust before it goes past the flame. I like being able to do that a lot. I've read that you can be less invasive by putting batteries in backwards but I never tried it.

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
I don't know if there is officially a new version. Version 1 to 2 had a few big changes including the regulator and the tank storage. That post was the first I  had heard about another change. Not sure the change is big enough to a new version.

I did 4 mods on mine:

stainless steel washers under the stone (not sure they do much but mods don't get much easier).

The thrust bearing  (I had a hard time getting it right and had the buy a tool. It looks like it helps but I'm not sure it would work on your oven.

The Chauflector. I used the end of a cheap spatula. Just broke off the handle. I've made pizza with and without the deflector installed and preferred it with the deflector.

Reverse the power wires. There are a few ways to do it. I cut the wires and spliced them. This changes the rotation direction of the stone. If it is turning counter clockwise, you can see the crust before it goes past the flame. I like being able to do that a lot. I've read that you can be less invasive by putting batteries in backwards but I never tried it.

Thank you for all  the info!! I can't wait to get mine :)
Sam

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
Thanks for the thread.  I ordered mine from amazon prime for 8.25.   Git rid of that annoying screaming of metal on metal sound .

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 05:54:39 PM »
I bought the thrust bearing from Amazon, but I never put it in. I put a bit of marine grease on the collar and It worked like a charm. I gave the bearing to the guy I sold the BS to; I don't know if he put it in or not.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the thread.  I ordered mine from amazon prime for 8.25.   Git rid of that annoying screaming of metal on metal sound .

They came yesterday and I put them in this morning.  Decent bearing quality for its purpose.   I moved the collar up 15mm and she worked as smooth as silk! 

I noticed some wear so I'm glad I finally put it in.   I use mine a lot.   Thanks so much for the link I paid for mine with my discover bonus points so no $$ out of my pocket. 

Offline davioh2001

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
They came yesterday and I put them in this morning.  Decent bearing quality for its purpose.   I moved the collar up 15mm and she worked as smooth as silk! 

I noticed some wear so I'm glad I finally put it in.   I use mine a lot.   Thanks so much for the link I paid for mine with my discover bonus points so no $$ out of my pocket.
im thinking of doing the same if it will help keep the motor humming for years.  Could you post a few pics so i can understand how/where these are placed?

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 07:34:31 PM »
im thinking of doing the same if it will help keep the motor humming for years.  Could you post a few pics so i can understand how/where these are placed?

I'll try to get you a pic, but it's easy.   Remove the cover and top stone and metal shroud.  Lift the bottom pizza stone out.   The rotating platter with post will simply life out of the motor housing.   There is a stop collar with 2 allen set screws.  that collar just rubs on the bushing the platter spindle slides through.    The thrust bearing is simply 3 parts a bottom housing, middle bearning and top housing.  All three parts together are 15mm.  You need to move that stop collar up 15mm (i just measured and marked with a sharpie and it don't have to be exact you have room to play with).  Slip all three parts (in order) on the shaft and put the platter back down through the hole and spin it till it drops into the motor.   Put the top back on and it spins a smooth as silk.   I shined a light in it just to make sure the bearing was turning properly. 

best 8 bucks I spent! Like I said mine had started to show a little wear.   

Offline davioh2001

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
What is starting to show wear? The motor? Pics would help so much if possible  ;D

Offline bonesbr549

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »
What is starting to show wear? The motor? Pics would help so much if possible  ;D

Motor is just a rotisery motor so no issues there.  The friction point would be Shaft and bottom of stop collar that rides on the metal collar where the shaft that holds the stone goes through.  Not bad but shavings were there (I got mine in march of 2015). 

It's 20F in the garage right now but if it warms up in the next couple days I'll try to get it apart and get a pic for you.   Have a good one.     

wordpress