A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sams Club Wood Fire Pizza Oven  (Read 40848 times)

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Sams Club Wood Fire Pizza Oven
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
If anyone tries this, you won't get an accurate IR reading off the shiny metal -- you'll need to put a piece of dark tape on it, and shoot the tape (and then try to get the adhesive off...).

No I just mean the temperature of the dome and  tiles on the left side ... not the front edge. Does anyone know how hot it gets ?

Offline rdbedwards

• I Love Pizza!
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »
I'll try to remember to take the outside temperature next time I bake.  Is your concern one of safety, or that a high outer temp means the insulation is insufficient?

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »
My concern is of safety and also wondering how close to the house it can be. Thanks for checking. Let me know asap. Thanks !

Offline rdbedwards

• I Love Pizza!
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
So the answer is that it gets really really hot, as in 600+!

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »
Are you sure on that ? Mine never got up that high on the outside of the dome (left side). I'm thinking at the most 275° - 280° 
 I'll check it again the next time though.

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
For those of you that have one of these ovens,  what brush are you are using to sweep hot ash, that fits and works well in this ? The front opening is a little low for a big brush. Also where did you get it ? Post a link please. I find if I sweep between each pizza , it helps keep the black off the underside or the crust .... or should I be doing that  ???

Offline HOP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
For those of you that have one of these ovens,  what brush are you are using to sweep hot ash, that fits and works well in this ? The front opening is a little low for a big brush. Also where did you get it ? Post a link please. I find if I sweep between each pizza , it helps keep the black off the underside or the crust .... or should I be doing that  ???
This is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ERQUWI/?tag=pmak-20

Works well but don't use it to move the coals around.  I use a weber ash rake for that.
I always bush before throwing in the next pie as some of the flour used for launching tends to get burned.
I also use a left over pressure washer wand extension tube to blow away any residual ash. Just make sure it's long enough to keep your eye brows.

--Hop 

Offline rdbedwards

• I Love Pizza!
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
I need to correct my last post, my thermometer wasn't working properly.  The highest temp I've recorded on the outside is 350F. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
I need to correct my last post, my thermometer wasn't working properly.  The highest temp I've recorded on the outside is 350F.
How would you like your last post to read? Let me know and I should be able to fix it.

Peter

Offline rdbedwards

• I Love Pizza!
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
I just meant that I wanted to change the temp I reported on the post I made a few weeks ago, I'm ok with the current post.  Apologies for the confusing wording!

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
 I thought I 'd post a picture of one of the pizzas I made a few nights ago.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
yeah!!  that looks delicious to me!!!  my kind of pizza!!!!  nice job!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline discusmb1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the information. Just joined today and purchased this WFO from an estate sale last weekend. I know the limitations and what a true WFO should do as I was building a 5ftx6ft WFO in our back yard in Los Angeles before we were relocated to Melbourne FL. Put thirty five 90lb bags in the ground for the foundation with 5/8" rebar and the wife came home that night and said were were being relocated. I think the neighbors half way up the street heard me cussing up a storm. Anyway, damn HOA's down here won't allow me to build a proper oven so I had to go with something simple. Thanks of the heads up about the sealing of the hearth to the dome. What is the best way to keep the heat source up agains the back wall to increase cooking surface? Fire Brick?

Brian

Offline HOP

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
What is the best way to keep the heat source up agains the back wall to increase cooking surface? Fire Brick?

Brian
I have fire brick but, haven't tried it yet. I've seen what looks like a stainless steel flanged plate that http://pizzapartyshop.com/en/accessories/56-spartifiamma-wood-oven-accessories.html?cid=12 pizzaparty sells for use in their ovens.  Thought about trying to fab something similar locally.

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Will this oven hold up outside in the winter in a cold climate such as snow and ice ? State your location and what you do to protect it this time of year if you have one of these.

Offline bjab

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »
I guess no one lives in a cold climate who owns one of these.

Offline garrettpsu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
I've had mine for a few years and am happy with it.  The thermometer stopped working, but likely got wet or something.  I just us an IR thermometer anyhow.  Here here are a handful of pics of some pizzas.   First pic was when I first got and didn't get hot enough - hence the dome being black still.  Second one I finally learned a little after that.