A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: PP Passione first pies  (Read 577 times)

Offline phillypizzafan

• ...in it for the food!
PP Passione first pies
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
Hi all,
Purchased a PP Passione a few weeks ago and finally got some time this past weekend to make some pies. A big thank you to everyone here for the inspiration and information to get to this point. This oven is super easy to use in gas-burner mode. I finally feel I have a consistent baking process so can now start experimenting with other elements of the pizza (doughs, toppings, flour, etc.). I find that to be the fun part.

These are from the first session.

100% Caputo 00 flour
66% hydration
2% salt
0.5% ADY

1.5 hours room temp bulk, 18 hours balled in fridge in a plastic proofing box

I sometimes use a poolish but didn't want to wait the extra day to actually use the new oven. I have used this formula in the past to bake pizzas on our egg but with very inconsistent results. It opens really easily and had great texture, although this time the dough was a little bland. Also, I started to see bubbles forming on the crust almost as soon as I took it out of the proofing box. I know this probably tells me something about the state of the fermentation but not sure what. Any suggestions?

Pies baked in Passione at deck temperatures of 925-1100. I have the saputo stones, which really are as good as everyone says. I think I would have work really hard to burn a bottom with these stones. The first pie was baked in 60 sec. but the others were 1:30 to 1:45 because the family asked for crispier bottoms. ...<sigh> they are still partial to NY pies, although I hope to bring them around....

1. Margherita (60 sec.)
2. Sausage (half pork, half vegetarian) and fennel
3. Eggplant and buffalo mozz
4  Margherita (~1:35 bake time)

I hope to try some longer cold fermentation soon to compare and eventually try some other yeast and SD formulas. Now that the baking part of this is so consistent, it will be fun to see/eat the results. A big shoutout to Simone and Pizza Party for a great product!

Eric

Eric
There are only so many meals left in life. Make every one count.

Offline tetontrees

Re: PP Passione first pies
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:15:44 PM »
nice looking pies!
and great timing. I just ordered my Passione yesterday. cannot wait.
 :pizza:
-anson
Anson

PP Passione with Saputo

Offline nirc

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
nice looking pies!
and great timing. I just ordered my Passione yesterday. cannot wait.
 :pizza:
-anson

@ phillypizzafan and tetontrees ---- may I ask why you guys did not get the Bollore? Is the extra room that much worth it. I can't imagine getting more then 1 pie in oven at a time given that pies can bake in 60-75 seconds.

Offline tetontrees

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:50:25 AM »
@ phillypizzafan and tetontrees ---- may I ask why you guys did not get the Bollore? Is the extra room that much worth it. I can't imagine getting more then 1 pie in oven at a time given that pies can bake in 60-75 seconds.

i am upsizing from a Roccbox and just figured I'd take it all the way up. ;D

I actually seriously considered both ovens as well as the Ardore. Once I had committed to buying one of the gas/wood PP ovens it seemed worth ~$300 for the extra elbow room. The Bollore rocks. Can't got wrong either way...unless you get sick of pizza.  :P
Anson

PP Passione with Saputo

Offline phillypizzafan

• ...in it for the food!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »
i am upsizing from a Roccbox and just figured I'd take it all the way up. ;D

I actually seriously considered both ovens as well as the Ardore. Once I had committed to buying one of the gas/wood PP ovens it seemed worth ~$300 for the extra elbow room. The Bollore rocks. Can't got wrong either way...unless you get sick of pizza.  :P

Pretty much the same reason -- couldn't hurt to have the extra room.  I have already thrown 2 half-size hotel pans in there to roast vegetables. It's clear, though, now in hindsight, that the extra room really doesn't mean much for making one pizza because both the Passione and Bollore are the same width so the pies are all the same distance from the side burner.

I also have hopes of one day cooking with wood as well so the Ardore wasn't an option.

Really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I was on the fence as well for awhile and am now having so much fun with it. Good luck!
Eric
There are only so many meals left in life. Make every one count.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T