A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO  (Read 132119 times)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »
Don, those are built and cooked beautifully!

Offline sub

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
Guys, I think I hit the sweetspot today!

Great Job Don, you nailed it !

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Thanks for the nice words everybody! Neapolitan Pizza is very rewarding - if you put the work, love, attention and passion in it will grant you with great results...now it's time to get these results consistently!
JD, I pre-heated the oven with the fire in the middle even shorter than last time. About 15 minutes but with a very intense fire. After these 15 minutes I pushed the fire to the side and pre -heated until the oven thermometer showed 800F - when I checked the stone temp in the middle of the oven (where I baked this time - you were right more consistent heat closer to the door) it was at 480-490C! I had an intense fire going for the top heat and in between bakes I sometimes had the door open for a minute or two to not over-heat the oven to much. I tried to shot a video but the heat was so  intense I had to watch the pizza all the time. Baking time was sub 60 seconds on pretty much all of them. Here's a very short, not very helpful clip...but that's all I could do without burning a pie...maybe you can figure the intensity of the fire from it? One of the next times I hope I can make a clip that will show more precisely what I am doing!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:06:44 PM by Don Luigi »
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the nice words everybody! Neapolitan Pizza is very rewarding - if you put the work, love, attention and passion in it will grant you with great results...now it's time to get these results consistently!
JD, I pre-heated the oven with the fire in the middle even shorter than last time. About 15 minutes but with a very intense fire. After these 15 minutes I pushed the fire to the side and pre -heated until the oven thermometer showed 800F - when I checked the stone temp in the middle of the oven (where I baked this time - you were right more consistent heat closer to the door) it was at 480-490C! I had an intense fire going for the top heat and in between bakes I sometimes had the door open for a minute or two to not over-heat the oven to much. I tried to shot a video but the heat was so  intense I had to watch the pizza all the time. Baking time was sub 60 seconds on pretty much all of them. Here's a very short, not very helpful clip...but that's all I could do without burning a pie...maybe you can figure the intensity of the fire from it? One of the next times I hope I can make a clip that will show more precisely what I am doing!

Wow, did you bake at 480C+ or did you let it cool first? 

I don't blame you for taking a short video, I personally need full attention when making NP. What I can see looks similar to my fire, except you seem to give more air than I do. I don't have good dry wood like you do, I'm jealous.

Keep up the good work!

JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
I think the wood I am using is very important for my latest results. VERY dry beech. It's a hard wood with a great smell that burns both long and very hot. It's the typical wood in Germany for heating and also smoking!
I launched at 460-490C. I found this the perfect deck temp for 45-60 second pizzas. If I keep the oven going too long inbetween bakes I have to keep the door off for a while else the deck will be over 550C which will cremate the bottom in 45 seconds.
So, "big" fire with rolling flames across the deck almost reaching the floor, 480C deck temp and baking   pretty much in the middle of the floor space that is not in use by the fire...
My Pizza

Offline Ben Holiday

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
Outstanding!!
The Dough in the Video looks great and super soft!

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:26 AM »
Jackpot Don. Great looking pies!

Today i was in coburg and ate a margherita in an italian pizzeria with a wood fired oven . I think you should go there and teach them how to make a real margherita  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
That is such a shame.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
That is such a shame.

You are right Craig. Even my first try of margherita was better

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
Thanks Aspendos! That Coburg Margherita sure looks like %$# - yours is far superior to that! The only good Pizza Place in our region is Ristorante Pizzeria Lo Scoiattolo in Wollbach. Wood fired oven and pretty solid Pizza...Btw, I'll contact you the next couple days because of your offer! Maybe we (including Ben Holiday) can have a Pizza Session at my place and you bring along the flour?
My Pizza

Offline gsans

• Just Neapolitan !
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »
Jackpot Don. Great looking pies!

Today i was in coburg and ate a margherita in an italian pizzeria with a wood fired oven . I think you should go there and teach them how to make a real margherita  ;D

ohhhh a French pizza !  :chef: :pizza: so bad....

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »
^^^ It's a shame, Greg, but that's also quite typical in Germany with very few exceptions...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:36:55 AM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
Thanks Aspendos! That Coburg Margherita sure looks like %$# - yours is far superior to that! The only good Pizza Place in our region is Ristorante Pizzeria Lo Scoiattolo in Wollbach. Wood fired oven and pretty solid Pizza...Btw, I'll contact you the next couple days because of your offer! Maybe we (including Ben Holiday) can have a Pizza Session at my place and you bring along the flour?

Sure Don. I will need caputo flour as well.
By the way i Still cant decide if i should buy p134h or alfa wood fired oven.. ???

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »
As you can guess I can highly recommend the Pizza Party Oven! I'll pm you one of these days...
My Pizza

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »
I have a friend over at my place for a couple days and yesterday morning we decided it's going to be Pizza today. So, 24 Hour ferment, 62% Hydration, 5% Ischia, Controlled Roomtemp (21C).
He also shot a video of me baking a 45 second Marg. I was really satisfied again. Last pies might have been a little better, but I am getting the desired consistency! Now, back to the drinks...
My Pizza

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
And the video....

My Pizza

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »
Good job Don. Looks delicious :pizza:

Offline JD

« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
Nice Don, that video is helpful. That fire is very healthy, ill try the shield again but with a big fire like yours.

I like your wood peel, I need to get a small one for launching. Regarding the turning peel, if you are capable of modifying it, I suggest cutting a radius on one side like I did. It makes turning much easier.

Nice pizzas!
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
Aspendos - thanks alot!
Josh - that wooden peel is really good. It fits into the entrance of the oven nicely though it's  on the verge of being too big in size. I didn't have one Pie sticking to the peel since I am using it. Good idea with the turning peel. I might look into the mod. What did you use to cut it?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:55:37 PM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
Aspendos - thanks alot!
Josh - that wooden peel is really good. It fits into the entrance of the oven nicely though it's  on the verge of being too big in size. I didn't have one Pie sticking to the peel since I am using it. Good idea with the turning peel. I might look into the mod. What did you use to cut it?

I used a dremel and a cut-off wheel, but any grinder would work. It's stainless so a hand-held saw may not be a good idea.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

wordpress