A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO  (Read 132629 times)

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 01:23:12 PM »

Don,

Nice work! Your pizzas show you've dialed in the capabilities of the oven.  When you build your fire for daily use, do you begin by starting within the center of the bed and then push it to the backside? Are you finding any limitations with the oven other than the number of pizzas you are able to cook at one time? So ready to pull the trigger on it, you may soon push me over the edge.

Thanks,

Roman

Yeah, I start with Fire in the middle. Let it burn for approximately 30 minutes and then push it to the left side. Let it burn for another 30-45 Minutes until I have a stable 400C-450C adding in bigger and smaller pieces of wood. No limitations with the oven for me, really. You could cook two Pizza at once but I never tried - could get a little to cozy space-wise in the relatively small chamber. For 1 Pizza at a time (and with 50 seconds cook time who cares?)it's perfect.
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline wolver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »
BTW - I have some leftovers - what's the best way to re-heat them? I mean I love cold pizza as well but I'd like to reheat them for lunch. How do you guys do it?

I put in small electric oven or freeze to future fast meal
Wood fired oven: Pizza Party 70x70

A Pizza a day keeps the doctor away! :-)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »
Try this for your leftovers as it seems to work for any pizza style. The least forgiving taste is the base of the crust. Take a cookie sheet placed on the lowest rack in conventional oven and heat to 400 F until oven is stable, remove sheet and quickly place leftovers and return to middle rack and lower to 350F. The moisture will quickly sear off the bottom crust then watch for proper cheese melt. The most efficient way to reheat given leftover pizza its due.

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips!
More Pizza to come soon...:-) new wood supply...
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 08:13:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips!
More Pizza to come soon...:-) new wood supply...

Wow! Talk about priorities!
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

Experience cannot be taught.

-Josh

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Hehe... 8) I am also heating my living room (wood stove) with this but I don't have even a shadow of a doubt that a fair share of this will be cremated in the Pizza Oven!
My Pizza

Offline Simone

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
Markus! you have serious intentions  ;D

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
New Pizza today. Same formular as last time. About 65% Hydration (I prepared for 65% but didn't use all the flour), 3.5% Starter (San Francisco Sourdough), 12 Hours in Bulk, 14 in Balls, 3% Salt. Satisfied. Had a little bit the same problem as JD last batch with slightly overheated oven and domed pretty much all the pies after 40 seconds. But these were damn tasty. I went for a little bit of a different look with the cheese. More Da Michele less "Cheese-Ghosts". I like this look as well! Let me know your opinion, please.

My Pizza

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
very nice pizza,  :pizza: :pizza: it seems to me that the board is not very high, this forum
do not use much make the photo section of the border that is only indicator
leavening. compliments for cooking. :D

Offline JD

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
New Pizza today. Same formular as last time. About 65% Hydration (I prepared for 65% but didn't use all the flour), 3.5% Starter (San Francisco Sourdough), 12 Hours in Bulk, 14 in Balls, 3% Salt. Satisfied. Had a little bit the same problem as JD last batch with slightly overheated oven and domed pretty much all the pies after 40 seconds. But these were damn tasty. I went for a little bit of a different look with the cheese. More Da Michele less "Cheese-Ghosts". I like this look as well! Let me know your opinion, please.

Your pizza is beautiful Don, you managed the heat much better than I did! Can you share the temperatures you were dealing with?

It's funny you mention the cheese-ghosts, my first pizza had that problem and I viewed a Da Michele video to see how thick their cheese was, and I was shocked at how small & how much they use. I definitely prefer the small pieces, your melt is perfect.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline schold

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »
very nice pizza,  :pizza: :pizza: it seems to me that the board is not very high, this forum

Do you mean the height of the cornicione?
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
Neapolitan Pizza with Pizza Party WFO
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 01:48:50 AM »

Thanks Renato and you are right: dough was a little under-fermented. I think the starter was already passed its full activity when I made the dough. But there was air and life inside and it felt light when I prepared the pizza, in contrary to the "heavy as brick" feel of a really under-leavened dough ball. Taste was light and airy as well. Oven Spring was less than on my last batch but since I wanted to try a sort of Da Michele Look on the Marghs it was fine!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:02:02 AM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »
Your pizza is beautiful Don, you managed the heat much better than I did! Can you share the temperatures you were dealing with?

It's funny you mention the cheese-ghosts, my first pizza had that problem and I viewed a Da Michele video to see how thick their cheese was, and I was shocked at how small & how much they use. I definitely prefer the small pieces, your melt is perfect.

Thank you JD! I didn't make detailed measures and went with the oven thermometer but I think the floor in the back right corner (were I bake) was +/- 500C and sometimes hotter. Too hot I think and hard to control. I think next time when I heat up the oven I will make a smaller fire in the middle (before putting the fire to the side) with less wood and a slower heating up. I had a real inferno going this time. I went for 420C on the oven-thermometer when shoving in the Pizza.

"Cheese Ghosts" - I love them usually, really. Of course there must be a melt going but I love the look of the little ghosts. You said "you had the problem" - do you view them as a mistake?
But I love the Da Michele Cheese look as well and I am very satisfied with how it turned out on my pies....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:22:50 AM by Don Luigi »
My Pizza

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 02:02:39 AM »
Do you mean the height of the cornicione?

Yes ,  :D

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 02:05:41 AM »
Thanks Renato and you are right: dough was a little under-fermented. I think the starter was already passed its full activity when I made the dough. But there was air and life inside and it felt light when I prepared the pizza, in contrary to the "heavy as brick" feel of a really under-leavened dough ball. Taste was light and airy as well. Oven Spring was less than on my last batch but since I wanted to try a sort of Da Michele Look on the Marghs it was fine!

Unfortunately it happens often, me too many times using the same amount of yeast, the same internal temperature, the results can still change.
I can say with certainty that much difference in the end product comes from how
is kneaded, how you stringers.  :chef:

Offline JD

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2015, 07:59:55 AM »
"Cheese Ghosts" - I love them usually, really. Of course there must be a melt going but I love the look of the little ghosts. You said "you had the problem" - do you view them as a mistake?
But I love the Da Michele Cheese look as well and I am very satisfied with how it turned out on my pies....

I don't think "mistake" is the correct word, I just prefer the texture of fully melted cheese over partially melted. I cannot tell you what your preferences should be!

JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »
Of course...mistake was the wrong word. I should have asked about preference. Language barrier.
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 08:09:57 AM »
Language barrier.

If you didn't have your location under your name, I'd have thought you lived in the US. I don't think you used the wrong word Don.

Anyhow, the Da Michele cheese melt in this picture is beautiful to me: http://www.timeout.jp/data/files/00/00/00/01/16/97/8893a63b28934ed8eeeda6f35eb500f1c35e7d5f_tn482x298.jpeg

That's my preference  :D
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
Ahh, I see. That's too much melt when it comes to my preference :-)
Talking about Da Michele. These pies are pretty much my thing (besides that they feature too much cheese):
My Pizza

Offline JD

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
Ahh, I see. That's too much melt when it comes to my preference :-)
Talking about Da Michele. These pies are pretty much my thing (besides that they feature too much cheese):

That looks good to me as well. I don't think it's too much cheese, but I am an American  :-D
JD's NY Style

-Josh

wordpress