A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens  (Read 39211 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Could I use my Ischia culture in this Mozza recipe, would it help, hurt, any reason why I shouldn't?

No problem at all. The table should give you a good starting point: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
Reviving an old thread with some pictures of my first Craig's Mozza-Inspired Pizza - Fennel Sausage with Panna, Scallions, Red Onions and Fennel Pollen. The fennel pollen is 100% worth it - smelled and tasted amazing as a topper post bake.

KAAP, 70% hydration, 9 hour IDY sponge, 3% spelt and 2% diastatic malted barley. 6 minute mix in KitchenAid on speed 1 followed by 4 sets of stretch folds at 12 minute intervals. 2.5 day cold rise after balling the dough. 350g ball size. Baked in home oven at 570F for 6 minutes. Though it doesn't look that pretty, it is one of the best tasting pizzas I've ever made, and it is amazing that it can compete with Neapolitan pizzas made with Ischia starter. I dropped hydration to 70% to make it easier to handle and it was still great! There was a wonderfully strong sweet, malty and wheaty flavor in the baked dough.

Huge thanks to TxCraig for starting this awesome thread and to everyone who kept it going! Another huge thanks to TxCraig for his Neapolitan recipe which is my go-to on the Blackstone. Now, I finally have a great recipe for indoor baking during the rainy season!
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2017, 12:21:59 AM »
One of my favorite go to crusts, great job!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:27:43 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline MaryLiza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2017, 05:59:54 AM »
I'm not trying to clone Mozza but rather trying to come up with a home oven pizza I like besides my Johnny's clone (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33831.0). First test:

Total Formula:
97.5% KAAP
1.25% dark rye flour
1.25% wheat germ
72% RO water
2.5% salt
0.15% IDY

Preferment:
41.0% of total formula flour
55.6% of total formula water (this will make the preferment 100% HR)
100.0% of total formula IDY
18 hours at room temp (~68F)

Dissolve the total formula salt in the remaining water. Add in the preferment and mix well. Add in the dark rye flour, wheat germ, and the remaining flour in a half dozen or so increments while mixing at a slow speed. The goal is to incorporate air with the flour. After it has all come together, let it rest for 20 minutes then give it a set of stretch-and-folds. Try to capture air in the dough when you fold. Give it a 12 minute rest followed by another set of stretch-and-folds. Repeat one more time. Divide and ball and refrigerate for 24 hours (48 would be better). Give the balls at least 2 hours at room temp before opening.

The pies below are 350g dough and 14Ē. I left quite a bit of dough at the cornicione which is painted with EVOO prior to topping.  Next time, Iíll probably go up to 400g with the additional dough in the center of the pie. The cornicione was the size I wanted, but the bottom was a bit too thin.

These were baked at 550 convection on stone. I didnít time the bakes. I wish I could have gone a bit longer to get a darker crust, but the cheap mozz I had would have failed.

Next time, Iím not going to add any wheat germ. It was OK, and you really couldnít see it much in the crust, but itís not the flavor Iím looking for. I will try 2% dark rye w/ 1% honey. Depending on how that comes out, I might try to find some barley malt syrup to try instead of the honey. 

The cheese on these is sliced fresh mozz with some grated fontina.  Overall, I really liked the texture of the crust Ė nice and crispy on the outside and very light and tender inside.

Thank you to TinRoof for some helpful insights.
I loved your recipe. I will try for sure. But there is one question I have to ask. Why can't we do topping with dehydrated vegetables like tomato flakes (http://www.hortonspicemills.com/listing.php?pid=82 )? I think it gives a crispy taste and easy to cook. Have you tried any such recipes?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:01:46 AM by MaryLiza »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2017, 08:35:28 AM »
I loved your recipe. I will try for sure. But there is one question I have to ask. Why can't we do topping with dehydrated vegetables like tomato flakes (http://www.hortonspicemills.com/listing.php?pid=82 )? I think it gives a crispy taste and easy to cook. Have you tried any such recipes?

No. I've never even thought about it. I think it's a great idea.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Could you please let me know how do you manage the process of loading such a wet pizza dough into the oven? I built mine on the counter and used a super peel to pick up and slide into oven. This works reasonably well, and I'd like to learn how to manage with a regular peel. I see a few options before sliding into oven:

1. Build pizza fully on the counter, then slide it onto a floured wooden peel.
2. Build pizza fully on the counter, then slide it onto a perforated metal peel.
3. Build pizza on top of floured wooden peel.

Which one worked out best for you for these 70%+ hydrated doughs? Did you use semolina to prevent sticking?

Thanks! Alex
Alex

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure I made the pizza on the counter and then drug it onto the peel or slid the peel under. There were made using a wood peel - flour only - no semolina. I don't have much problems with high hydration unless a ferment in balls for more than 24 hours at room temp (low 60's).

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Great! Thanks! I got a tip from Tony Gemignani's book The Pizza Bible to measure the dough ball temperature before shaping. If it's 65F or below, I start shaping. If it's higher than 65F, I noticed that the dough is much more likely to pancake out during stretching and stick to the peel so I throw it back in the fridge for 10-15 minutes first and it shapes more easily.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:30:55 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2017, 01:29:05 AM »
Is anyone here still messing around with Mozza cones or Mozza style doughs? Mozza remains one of my all time favorites (if not, THE all time favorite) and I want to incorporate pieces of it into my style of pizza. I'm finding myself back in this thread after having a number of differing pizzas recently. My favorites of all time so far have been Mozza, Pizzeria Bianco, and Lucali/Giuseppina's. I want to work on a hybrid of them.

Do you all think that brush of olive oil is necessary for the Mozza dough? I do think it helps with the blisters, and I'm wondering how this type of dough would perform at a 3 minute bake... Also, how do you all find stretching a dough that wet to be?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2017, 02:37:53 AM »
Do you all think that brush of olive oil is necessary for the Mozza dough?

It's absolutely necessary if you want that look.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »
Is this still one of your favorite recipes or would you rather do the NY style with the short ferment and LDMP?

Interestingly, I saw Mozza was inspired by Pizzeria Bianco. My only gripe with Mozza is the bake is so long it destroys mozzarella...

It's absolutely necessary if you want that look.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »
I do like it, but I almost never make it. I don't know if I have a preference either way between the NY I make and this. I've reverted back to pretty much nothing but NP.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »
I've reverted back to pretty much nothing but NP.

Interesting!

Still doing 48 hr RT ferments?
the proof is in the pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Interesting!

Still doing 48 hr RT ferments?

More and more, I'm doing 24 hours. Still at room temp but split 62F and 77F. I'll post on it in my other thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14249.msg469443#msg469443

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »
That spiderweb texture in your crust is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. What was your bake setup for this pie?

Reviving an old thread with some pictures of my first Craig's Mozza-Inspired Pizza - Fennel Sausage with Panna, Scallions, Red Onions and Fennel Pollen. The fennel pollen is 100% worth it - smelled and tasted amazing as a topper post bake.

KAAP, 70% hydration, 9 hour IDY sponge, 3% spelt and 2% diastatic malted barley. 6 minute mix in KitchenAid on speed 1 followed by 4 sets of stretch folds at 12 minute intervals. 2.5 day cold rise after balling the dough. 350g ball size. Baked in home oven at 570F for 6 minutes. Though it doesn't look that pretty, it is one of the best tasting pizzas I've ever made, and it is amazing that it can compete with Neapolitan pizzas made with Ischia starter. I dropped hydration to 70% to make it easier to handle and it was still great! There was a wonderfully strong sweet, malty and wheaty flavor in the baked dough.

Huge thanks to TxCraig for starting this awesome thread and to everyone who kept it going! Another huge thanks to TxCraig for his Neapolitan recipe which is my go-to on the Blackstone. Now, I finally have a great recipe for indoor baking during the rainy season!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
That spiderweb texture in your crust is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. What was your bake setup for this pie?

Make your gluten weak.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
Welp, I started a variation of your recipe last night my preferment was very active this morning (40% of the flour.) Mixed and did a few sets of stretch and folds (dough was still pretty wet.) Didn't really seem to "come together" into something that might be manageable until I balled. They haven't pancaked out (yet) in the containers so maybe I got it right. I'm fearful of over fermenting but who knows.

Excited to see how it comes out... at about 0.09 TF for 10" Mozza sized pies. Going to top similar to what I had at Bianco (DiNapoli tomatoes, that really milky mozz.) I think Mozza generally uses low moisture...trying to straddle the line between getting that bread baker's crust and structure while not obliterating fresh toppings/cheeses. Hopefully it's great eats!

Make your gluten weak.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:23:09 PM by hotsawce »

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
hotsawce, my bake setup is 2 pizza stones. One is about 4-5" from the top and the second is about 5-6" below the first. I baked this at 570F, the highest that my Gaggenau oven can go. While I normally use the broiler, I was afraid to burn the olive oil crust, so I kept it on bake mode the whole time. I rotated the pizza once, around the 3 minute mark to even out the bake. After about 5 minutes, I moved the pizza to the bottom stone to crisp up the bottom just a bit. This took about 45 seconds.

I think the key to this style is

1)Use a high hydration dough - the 70% seemed like enough for me, but may be even better with higher hydration?
2)Leave a very large rim and oil it with EVOO using a brush(see picture).
3)Bake it for a solid 5-8 minutes depending on your oven temperature.

good luck!
Alex

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
Is this still one of your favorite recipes or would you rather do the NY style with the short ferment and LDMP?

Interestingly, I saw Mozza was inspired by Pizzeria Bianco. My only gripe with Mozza is the bake is so long it destroys mozzarella...

I used low moisture mozzarella from Whole Foods for this. It comes in a 4" x 5" x 1" block wrapped in plastic wrap. This was sliced about 3mm thick - it melted perfectly and didn't get destroyed. Nancy recommends avoiding fresh mozzarella for her pizzas presumably because it gets destroyed in the long bake. The other advantage of low moisture is that it stays melty and creamy much longer as the pizza cools down.

Until you get comfortable with handling high hydration, I would recommend 70% and use lots of bench flour when shaping the dough. I drop by entire dough ball onto a dinner plate covered with flour and coat it in flour on both sides before I even try to stretch it.

By the way, the recipe for the topping in the pic is here:

http://www.oprah.com/food/fennel-sausage-panna-and-scallions-pizza-recipe-mozza-cookbook
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:08:56 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I'm looking forward to baking these tomorrow. My dough balls are looking nice right now...haven't pancaked and don't feel too sticky to the touch right now; maybe it was the stretch and folds.

I don't have a broiler so will probably just bake on the center rack for about 5 minutes on the steel. I can bake on the upper most rack in about 3. I might try regular, fresh mozzarella... I prefer it but don't know if it will work.  I'm intrigued because Pizzeria Beddia is able to keep the fresh mozz relatively milky in their deck oven (and I've heard the bake is anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes there.)

Any left over dough balls I'm going to try to bake into panino rounds (Mozza does this and it looks like incredible sandwich bread.)

wordpress