A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens  (Read 35619 times)

Offline Francois.du.nord

• Crust rules
Re: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Not going to lie. The pizzas in this thread look fantastic. I'm just kicking off a batch of dough for dinner 2 nights hence. Here is what I've got going right now.

100% poolish using TXCraig's adjusted recipe with 2% spelt, and I decided to see how CapotBob's beer for the poolish worked. I've got (left to right):

One Degree Sprouted Spelt
KAAP 11.7%
Poolish @ 100% hydration AP yeast @1.25X IDY amount, 16% water for yeast activation, 84% beer
Utepils: Ewald the Golden, Bavarian Style Hefewiezen

In front is Briess Dried Malt Extract (DME), which is (to the best of my understanding) a fully dried version of the Liquid Malt Extract that is specified upthread. Brewing beer comes in handy when you need to slake your thirst AND when you need offbeat ingredients.  ;)

For those of you who are curious, the mod factor for DME vs LME is 75% DME = 100% LME.

Challenge with DME is it is EXTREMELY hygroscopic (attracts water) After opening it will quickly turn rock hard if you dont seal it extremely well.

I'll keep y'all posted.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:49:59 PM by Francois.du.nord »

Offline Francois.du.nord

• Crust rules
« Reply #241 on: May 05, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
Just finishing up the pizza I started in the post directly above. While not an expert's result, given my skill levels, I declare it a complete success. This recipe is on my short list for home oven bakes

Details: 15 hr pre ferment with 100% poolish as above. 400 g ball, 29 hr cold ferment, 5 hr RT before opening. I was probably a bit over fermented, but the ball was still workable.

Toppings were artichoke bottoms, kalamata olives, capers and leek rings on a simple red sauce with some fresh mozz.

10 minutes on steel. In the home oven, starting at 500 and reduced to 450 at 6 minutes. 30 seconds doming to finish.

Crust taste was very reminiscent of a good rustic artisan loaf. Cornicione was crisp outside with a soft interior, some spring back after biting into it.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

Edit: This morning I realized I forgot to oil the cornicione!  Darn It! I guess we can't call this Mozza style.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:22:16 PM by Francois.du.nord »

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
  • Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »
Just finishing up the pizza I started in the post directly above. While not an expert's result, given my skill levels, I declare it a complete success. This recipe is on my short list for home oven bakes

Details: 15 hr pre ferment with 100% poolish as above. 400 g ball, 29 hr cold ferment, 5 hr RT before opening. I was probably a bit over fermented, but the ball was still workable.

Toppings were artichoke bottoms, kalamata olives, capers and leek rings on a simple red sauce with some fresh mozz.

10 minutes on steel. In the home oven, starting at 500 and reduced to 450 at 6 minutes. 30 seconds doming to finish.

Crust taste was very reminiscent of a good rustic artisan loaf. Cornicione was crisp outside with a soft interior, some spring back after biting into it.

Thanks to all for the guidance.

Francois.du.nord,

That is a nice looking pizza!

Vida
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »
Sure, If it was me, I'd change it to a room temp ferment. I'm not a fan of using cold ferment on sourdough. Maybe something like 7.5% starter for 12 hours at 77F. You can use this table to help find a starting point for whatever time/temp you want: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0

My attempt at TXCraig1's  Mozza clone dough formula with my 7.5% sourdough starter.

Did 12 hour RT ferment but didn't take IT and I live in Philippines so expect that ambient temperature is higher. Had to put in WC (wine cooler) to stop bubble activity in Bulk Ferment. After splitting into 2 balls and less than an hour in RT 87-88F in IT, had to moved them into refrigerator. Then launched 1st ball in my oven much later than I had anticipated.

I really liked the taste of the crust.  2% Spelt flour added that extra oomph.  And I substituted  Malt Barley syrup with a local sweetener, Yacon syrup as couldn't find Malt Barley syrup.  I think that was pretty good too.

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »
What do you think this would be like for an 18" pie?
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »

Is this question directed to me? If yes, I think an 18" pie would look better. 

I'm still a newbie, stretching and opening pies are still very new to me and so I am very cautious. Maybe too much.

Definitely not pleasing to my eyes but the taste of the crust was good. 

Vida

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
Is this question directed to me?
Vida

Thanks for the answer, it was meant for anyone. I've never made an 18" pizza with this type of dough so not sure how it would hold up.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »
Thanks for the answer, it was meant for anyone. I've never made an 18" pizza with this type of dough so not sure how it would hold up.

Pazzo,

I shall leave it to the pizza experts to answer your question.  :)

Vida

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »

Might not have been meant for an 18" pizza but it turned out great. I'll definitely use this formula again but probably not in such a large pie.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »
I think your pizza looks good Pazzo.  :pizza:

Offline Pazzo

« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:11 PM »
I think your pizza looks good Pazzo.  :pizza:

Thanks. I should have split the dough in half and made two pizzas more similar to a Mozza or Craig's original pie in the beginning of the thread. I think the dough shines much more in that style than a big NY style. It's a great formula and workflow though, give it a try!

Offline inutero303

• Free Jazz Pizza
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2019, 06:03:10 AM »
I'm not trying to clone Mozza but rather trying to come up with a home oven pizza I like besides my Johnny's clone (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33831.0). First test:

Total Formula:
97.5% KAAP
1.25% dark rye flour
1.25% wheat germ
72% RO water
2.5% salt
0.15% IDY

Preferment:
41.0% of total formula flour
55.6% of total formula water (this will make the preferment 100% HR)
100.0% of total formula IDY
18 hours at room temp (~68F)

Dissolve the total formula salt in the remaining water. Add in the preferment and mix well. Add in the dark rye flour, wheat germ, and the remaining flour in a half dozen or so increments while mixing at a slow speed. The goal is to incorporate air with the flour. After it has all come together, let it rest for 20 minutes then give it a set of stretch-and-folds. Try to capture air in the dough when you fold. Give it a 12 minute rest followed by another set of stretch-and-folds. Repeat one more time. Divide and ball and refrigerate for 24 hours (48 would be better). Give the balls at least 2 hours at room temp before opening.

The pies below are 350g dough and 14”. I left quite a bit of dough at the cornicione which is painted with EVOO prior to topping.  Next time, I’ll probably go up to 400g with the additional dough in the center of the pie. The cornicione was the size I wanted, but the bottom was a bit too thin.

These were baked at 550 convection on stone. I didn’t time the bakes. I wish I could have gone a bit longer to get a darker crust, but the cheap mozz I had would have failed.

Next time, I’m not going to add any wheat germ. It was OK, and you really couldn’t see it much in the crust, but it’s not the flavor I’m looking for. I will try 2% dark rye w/ 1% honey. Depending on how that comes out, I might try to find some barley malt syrup to try instead of the honey. 

The cheese on these is sliced fresh mozz with some grated fontina.  Overall, I really liked the texture of the crust – nice and crispy on the outside and very light and tender inside.

Thank you to TinRoof for some helpful insights.

Hey Craig ..

have a question , been trying to replicate the Mozza pizza dough .. i followed your formula and came out great ! ..
the only problem is that the balls on the fridge got super flat after 24hrs .. i think this due to the high hydration
i never did  72-75% before .. im usually on the 60% and it holds up great

is this normal ? or im i doing something wrong .. i have all the dough on trays .

i can send u a photo if that helps ..

many thanks bud !

Tin

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2019, 06:33:26 PM »
Yes, it's a soft dough that will flatten out, I like to use individual cheap twist-tie plastic food bags for fermenting recipes like this, but smallish plastic tubs with some oil would also be a good choice.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2019, 06:46:04 PM »
I like to use individual cheap twist-tie plastic food bags for fermenting recipes like this

Why make unnecessary trash?
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
Why make unnecessary trash?

Good thing I'm not drinking yet. That would open the door for so many comments I'd regret later  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:11 PM »
Good thing I'm not drinking yet. That would open the door for so many comments I'd regret later  :-D

Have some bourbon and think about it.   :-*
John

Offline inutero303

• Free Jazz Pizza
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »
Yes, it's a soft dough that will flatten out, I like to use individual cheap twist-tie plastic food bags for fermenting recipes like this, but smallish plastic tubs with some oil would also be a good choice.

What about if u are making 50 pizzas for party .? i cook a lot of parties and use the classic dough trays ..

do i need to buy a lot plasitc tubs ?

what about re balling it few hours before to give it more shape ?

thanks craig !!!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »
What about if u are making 50 pizzas for party .? i cook a lot of parties and use the classic dough trays ..

do i need to buy a lot plasitc tubs ?

what about re balling it few hours before to give it more shape ?

thanks craig !!!

There is no right answer. Try the different methods and see which works best for you. It's not necessarily the same as what works best for someone else.

Offline Francois.du.nord

• Crust rules
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »
It was a busy 4th celebration up north. I almost forgot to post but here is one of the Mozza-esque pies that came out of the KP. I used the wheat beer starter, but subbed in honey instead of malt extract since I left my malt powder at home. Still turned out nicely if I do say so myself.

This is a 140 second pizza, Mushroom, Spinach, Orange Pepper and Stuffed Green Olive. Delicious!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:17:43 PM by Francois.du.nord »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:07 PM »
It was a busy 4th celebration up north. I almost forgot to post but here is one of the Mozza-esque pies that came out of the KP. I used the wheat beer starter, but subbed in honey instead of malt extract since I left my malt powder at home. Still turned out nicely if I do say so myself.

This is a 140 second pizza, Mushroom, Spinach, Orange Pepper and Stuffed Green Olive. Delicious!

Me likey.... mucho! https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.ef7cbfb09546a5a962874c1bae228a75&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fBlVnrxJgTGsUw%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=JBMvmGn7mJ%2fTJOF48HEMjA
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"