A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My fellow reballers!  (Read 78880 times)

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: My fellow reballers!
« Reply #660 on: November 10, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »
Yes. Well, to be clear these 2 have been separate balls since I finished making the dough: after all mixing, resting, S&F. The one I reballed tonight was refrigerator cold.

Do you find the cold dough kinda hard to work with since its so hard and dense?   Sometimes it can be hard to seal the bottom since it's not soft and pliable.
Jeff

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2019, 09:54:07 PM »
I had pretty interesting results on my test although this could have been many different factors I am going to test this more in the future, check out the notes in my diary I just added to tonight's bake.

the leoparding is what really had me scratching my head even though there could have been different variables to cause this I definitely want to do more testing

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55083.msg600170#msg600170
Josh

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #662 on: November 10, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
Do you find the cold dough kinda hard to work with since its so hard and dense?   Sometimes it can be hard to seal the bottom since it's not soft and pliable.
Yes, it's not sealed entirely. Mine do not always seal up entirely. I work them until I feel as though I should not pull any more from the top. The Dough Doctor recently validated this. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59850.msg600291#msg600291

Tomorrow (if I remember) I will be comparing one of mine to another of mine. I wonít be reaching any conclusions on anyone elseís work. That sounds harsher than I mean it. It was meant to sound disarming.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:34:14 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #663 on: November 10, 2019, 10:41:25 PM »
Mine is tied to a natural gas line on our deck.

Ah! At least it's not that cold yet.
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #664 on: November 10, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »
I had pretty interesting results on my test although this could have been many different factors I am going to test this more in the future, check out the notes in my diary I just added to tonight's bake.

the leoparding is what really had me scratching my head even though there could have been different variables to cause this I definitely want to do more testing

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55083.msg600170#msg600170
Yes you did! I find much as you mentioned there re sealing and the weight of the ball.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:44:41 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #665 on: November 10, 2019, 11:17:47 PM »
Yes, it's not sealed entirely. Mine do not always seal up entirely. I work them until I feel as though I should not pull any more from the top. The Dough Doctor recently validated this. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59850.msg600291#msg600291

Tomorrow (if I remember) I will be comparing one of mine to another of mine. I wonít be reaching any conclusions on anyone elseís work. That sounds harsher than I mean it. It was meant to sound disarming.  ;D

Can't wait to see your results.

It was actually some latest research I was doing about the sealing because it was driving me crazy trying to make sure it was completely sealed and always a worry, after asking Tom I decided to really pay attention which I recommend most people do and look at the bottom of the dough ball before you press open into a pizza they are completely sealed, don't get me wrong I still try to seal I'm just not going to put as much effort as I was.
Josh

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #666 on: November 11, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
It didnít turn out as well as I hoped. In both cases, reballed or not, the bottom crust was too much like bread. The first 2 reasons that come to mind are too little yeast/not enough time at RTF or over-mixing donít make sense as this dough has worked performed well several times. The only change to the formula this time was the inclusion of spelt (15%) and a couple of points of water for it to drink. Oh, and I used grey salt instead of iodized table salt.

I feel pretty sure I caused it by baking indoors at 500 convect (top speed) for 11 min rather than in the Ardore at launch high 700s and dial back to around 625 for 4:00 or just under. The oven spring did not compare. My pizzas are not JPB caliber but his corniche bake and ramp appeal to me for this style; I am working toward something in that neighborhood. I could have handled the cold but we had snow I would have had to shovel to get to the Ardore and more was coming down hard as I tried to make up my mind. I got home from oncology and chemo appointments at 4:00 just couldnít make myself do it.

They both tasted good, 4 adults and a 4 year old agreed on that. They were amused,  which I know from experience is better than annoyed, with the spelt and the idea of a side by side reballing experiment. Everybody agreed the spelt was an improvement over other pizzas they have had from this formula. Itís based on Brian Spanglerís with small changes after several times making it as the original recipe in the Dough Generator.

Thanks friends. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

I will build on this and try it again soon - in the Ardore. I donít know why doing a side by side did not occur to me before this batch! Hereís what I had today.

1 dough when pulled from fridge today
2 not reballed, baked
3 not reballed Ďcrumbí lol
4 reballed baked
5 reballed bottom - I wanted more, the non-reballed was less brown than this one
6 reballed Ďcrumbí lol

-Tony

Offline naval2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #667 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:41 AM »
John,

Iíve been working my dough the way you posted on your first 2015 post for some time now. 48-72 hrs. Bulk, 24 hs balled and RT 2 hs prior to baking. And my recipe is almost like you save 3% sugar and 0,4 IDY.  64% hydration is great for texture and stretching. And pizza comes as light and airy as it can get. I do recommend trying it out if you havenít yet,

Alex

wordpress