A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Acunto or Pavesi in home kitchen?  (Read 689 times)

Offline rush

• mmm...pizza.
Acunto or Pavesi in home kitchen?
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »
Does anyone, other than Craig, have a commercial WFO in their house? I am curious as I am in the process of buying a new home and am intrigued by the notion of essentially having (the design of) a small Neapolitan pizza kitchen in my house. Thoughts? I appreciate all the details of putting a 5k+ lb oven in my house so don't rain on my parade too quickly with the criticism.
Naturally leavened pizza and bread...and farming.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Acunto or Pavesi in home kitchen?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
Kitchen WFO ovens were pretty much standard equipment in the 19th century home of distinction.  I might argue the veracity of a commercial WFO in a home kitchen, but the idea of the oven itself is a great one.  Commercial ovens are designed to be fired all the time, that is the issue, unless like Craig, you do not mind burning wood for 10 hours each time you want a pizza.  Select a modern oven that will provide excellent performance but with much less mass to heat, like a Breadstone or similar and go for it.

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:29:33 AM »
If you're going that far, include a serious gas burner for the pre-heat... then you can toss a few splits in at the end. And make sure your AC is designed for it, with make-up air.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »
I am with Tscarborough that a modern design is the way to go in a home, and the pavesi will take less time to heat up than the acunto.   

The problem with non Neapolitan ovens such as the pavesi or bread stone is that they tend to cook better in the 2 minute plus range, while the problem with the Neapolitan ovens is that they tend to cook better in the sub 2 minute range.  There is an easy fix to be able to do all types of pizza.   I would get a piece of biscotto from pizza party and put it in a modern oven design and have the best of both worlds available to you.  For a home oven most people tend to just bake one or two pizzas at a time anyhow.

Having the dome fully saturated is not as important to an even bake as having the floor saturated.  When shopping for modern oven designs look at floor thickness.   You want a floor thinner than what is in my pavesi 140... half as thick would be fine.  that will cut down a lot on your preheat time and the only reason you need a floor that thick is for doing 60 pizzas an hour.  I know earthstone uses a thinner floor for even their commercial ovens (which can actually be a problem for some pizzerias).   I think mugnaini has residential models with thinner floors, and im sure there are a number of other brands that do too.   

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:51:02 PM »
If you're going that far, include a serious gas burner for the pre-heat... then you can toss a few splits in at the end. And make sure your AC is designed for it, with make-up air.

This ^
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JAG

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:23:47 PM »

Offline rush

• mmm...pizza.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »

Thanks for the discussion. I appreciate the perspective and the insights each of you introduced. I am still considering other options for a WFO at home as well. Nothing new to this forum, of course. I have considered the virtues of building/buying a trailer mounted oven, but building a shelter under which it would live when at home, but providing me some flexibility in terms of moving it around if I wanted to. You know, for things like parties, barbecues, or another household move [please, no]. As for the oven in the house I think you all introduce good points. The benefits of high thermal mass are certainly accompanied with the need to actually heat it up to get started. I do on occasion cook a dozen or more pies at a time. For instance I had my kids and a few of their friends families over and pumped out 12 pies over the course of the evening in my GE oven sadly since I dont currently have a WFO. Id love to be able to host pizza parties and not be practically limited by the oven. Having 20 or more people waiting around to eat can be less than fun, depending on the circumstances. I realize that is unlikely a real problem since many ovens will handle 30+ pies/hour.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:02:11 AM »
The benefits of high thermal mass are certainly accompanied with the need to actually heat it up to get started.  I do on occasion cook a dozen or more pies at a time

The primary benefit of high thermal mass, when saturated, is steady temperature that is much less sensitive to changes in the fire than lighter ovens - even those that are well insulated. The mass is like a battery for heat. Beyond that, it's about good engineering. A few weeks ago, I bakes 20 pies in an hour in a Pizza Party Ardore which weighs about 50 lbs.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline rush

• mmm...pizza.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »
A few weeks ago, I bakes 20 pies in an hour in a Pizza Party Ardore which weighs about 50 lbs.

Is it safe to say that this wasn't at your house? If it was I presume you'd be using the big oven or that you decided very last minute to throw a pizza party. :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »
Is it safe to say that this wasn't at your house? If it was I presume you'd be using the big oven or that you decided very last minute to throw a pizza party. :)

No, it was not at my house. That being said, I have two Pizza Party ovens (the other is a Passione), and I use each one more than the big oven. Being able to heat your oven in 15 minutes is pretty awesome, and the gas burner combined with a well engineered oven makes temperature management easy. It's one thing if you use a big oven every day - then heating isn't a big deal, but from cold, it's an all-day affair.

Nowadays, I only use the big oven when I have guests other than the frequent friends and family visitors that haven't seen it and on special occasions. It's not as cool for sure, but nobody complains about the pizza  ;D

wordpress