A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What are the main causes (probably) when dough keeps shrinking when spreading ?  (Read 432 times)

Offline thehay95

• I Love Pizza!
As I already mentioned in another thread I still have problems sometimes when spreading the dough. When I do it by hand it often keeps pulling back and shrinking again. When I finish it with a roller pin subsequently it goes much easier.
Now I wonder what the main cause(s) is/are for this shrinking, so that I can try to avoid it. Is it most probably the dough itself, the kneading technique, the fermentation or something else ?

Offline gamblersruin

• Supporting Member
  • London, UK!
Is your dough cold? I sometimes have this issue when I've got something that hasn't hit the right temperature. There's a fine line between fridge cold / blown out and too stretchy though.

Offline tracy

Unless I'm missing something from the question, it's the gluten retracting.  If you're having trouble with the dough retracting, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then continue to stretch the dough.  The gluten should have relaxed by then and it should be easier to shape.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
If the dough is too elastic from the "get-go" when opening the dough ball into a skin the problem is most likely due to insufficient fermentation for the strength of flour being used. The second reason, especially in pizza making where long fermentation times are typically employed is over fermentation of the dough. In this case the gluten is tight (aka bucky) and just doesn't want to stretch at all and all attempts to open the dough just result in tearing. In the case of an under fermented dough you will be able to open the dough without tearing but it will just keep pulling back to a smaller size/diameter.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T