A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My first bread/crust flour pizzas--Vincent's Pizza  (Read 101780 times)

Offline BobC

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first bread/crust flour pizzas--Vincent's Pizza
« Reply #1160 on: January 11, 2016, 09:52:19 PM »
I think it was a learning experience.  It took many many tries to get pizza like what I remember, even with the hints like using molasses.

The other thing in my mind is that the recipe has to be adjusted for the exact ingredients used, ie the ConAgra bread flour just didn't give results anything similar to the Primo Gusto.  I suppose someone that made pizza for years would know what it needs to feel like, etc, to come out right, but me, I really didn't know till I got' close, and even then, had a difficult time realizing that such small differences in ingredients and methods made huge differences in the results.

I make pizza every week now, and everyone loves it., LOL, as long as I stick to the recipe.  I took the weights from back when I weighed things.  I don't weigh anymore, because I measured the weight, and found that is quicker and works just fine.  The most I've made was 6 pizzas for a party and it came out great.

181.71 gm warm water 70%
1.25 tsp IDY  ~2%
1/2 tsp olive oil 1%
1/2 tsp molasses 1.25%
1 tsp salt 2.3%
259.57 gm Primo Gusto Bread & Crust flour from GFS

mix, then knead 10 min, ball, flatten, and store in oiled container in oven with light on 2 hrs

fold 16 times into itself and ball, flatten and put back into container in oven with light on for 5 hrs

pull out, put stone on bottom rack, preheat to 550f for 45 min

sprinkle peel with coarse semolina flour (Vincent used regular flour, but I like the semolina better because when i try regular flour it either sticks or i get a floury taste on the bottom of the crust because I can't assemble quick enough)

flour board, pull patty out upside down onto board, sprinkle bottom well with flour

turn to right side up and stretch dough to 16" leaving the outer 1 1/2" thick, making sure bottom isn't sticky, put on peel

add sauce and cheese (i1/2 smoked provolone, 1/2 mozzarella) and pepperoni

put in oven quickly, set timer for 8 1/2 min, turn down temp to 525.  I usually go 9 min, but first time try 8 1/2 and peek.  As soon as the bubbles are browned its ready

Thanks to everyone here that helped me get to this point, and especially to Vincent for making pizza worth looking forward to...

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #1161 on: January 12, 2016, 05:36:25 AM »
I would say in most cases, the latest post is no more helpful than the first. Is there a setting to show the most important posts first?  :-D

I would say that BobC just fixed that... :-D  Thank you for posting the formula here at the end.  I'm barely up to reading page 25 of this thread.   I just used molasses in my last pizza, Bob.  Some of my very first pizzas had molasses in the dough too, and I really love the depth of flavor it gives.  I really like the messy style of saucing the rim a little and I do that to my oven baked NY style too.  Vincent seems like he was one of them cool cat, larger than life types. Glad you worked through and found the right formula for happy eating and great memories.

I think it was a learning experience.  It took many many tries to get pizza like what I remember, even with the hints like using molasses.

The other thing in my mind is that the recipe has to be adjusted for the exact ingredients used, ie the ConAgra bread flour just didn't give results anything similar to the Primo Gusto.  I suppose someone that made pizza for years would know what it needs to feel like, etc, to come out right, but me, I really didn't know till I got' close, and even then, had a difficult time realizing that such small differences in ingredients and methods made huge differences in the results.

I make pizza every week now, and everyone loves it., LOL, as long as I stick to the recipe.  I took the weights from back when I weighed things.  I don't weigh anymore, because I measured the weight, and found that is quicker and works just fine.  The most I've made was 6 pizzas for a party and it came out great.

181.71 gm warm water 70%
1.25 tsp IDY  ~2%
1/2 tsp olive oil 1%
1/2 tsp molasses 1.25%
1 tsp salt 2.3%
259.57 gm Primo Gusto Bread & Crust flour from GFS

mix, then knead 10 min, ball, flatten, and store in oiled container in oven with light on 2 hrs

fold 16 times into itself and ball, flatten and put back into container in oven with light on for 5 hrs

pull out, put stone on bottom rack, preheat to 550f for 45 min

sprinkle peel with coarse semolina flour (Vincent used regular flour, but I like the semolina better because when i try regular flour it either sticks or i get a floury taste on the bottom of the crust because I can't assemble quick enough)

flour board, pull patty out upside down onto board, sprinkle bottom well with flour

turn to right side up and stretch dough to 16" leaving the outer 1 1/2" thick, making sure bottom isn't sticky, put on peel

add sauce and cheese (i1/2 smoked provolone, 1/2 mozzarella) and pepperoni

put in oven quickly, set timer for 8 1/2 min, turn down temp to 525.  I usually go 9 min, but first time try 8 1/2 and peek.  As soon as the bubbles are browned its ready

Thanks to everyone here that helped me get to this point, and especially to Vincent for making pizza worth looking forward to...
Reesa

Offline BobC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1162 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:54 AM »
OOPS, forgot quantities on toppings...

It takes 8 or 9 oz of cheese and 45 or 50 slices of normal sized pepperoni and about 3/8 cup of sauce (1/3 is too little, 1/2 is too much, I think).

If you put too much cheese and pepperoni on you get a puddle in the middle.  To me, best is where there is a slight puddle when hot out of the oven, but 30 seconds later its absorbed back in.

Crust should be crunchy around the rim on top, and crispy on the bottom, and it should be thin in the center area and tall around the rim with bubbles here and there, with sauce and cheese accidentally splotching the rim here and there, caramelized.  When you pick it up you should need to support the middle or its getting too thick, and when you cut or bite into the rim, after the initial crunch, it should be soft till you hit the crispy bottom, and after you bite or cut, it should spring back up.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1163 on: July 02, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
I would say in most cases, the latest post is no more helpful than the first. Is there a setting to show the most important posts first?  :-D
Google is reportedly working on that  ;D

I'm so far gone I have no interest whatsoever in making this type of pizza but will likely still read 1100 plus posts. I'm through about 200 now.
-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #1164 on: November 05, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »
Tribute to Vincent's pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #1166 on: November 10, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
Oh what the hell... BUMP!

I'm gonna pull a 900g dough out of the freezer and start firing the oven... end the season with some puffy 20" madness on Monday.   :-D :chef:
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday