A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gluten Free Pies with Zinc  (Read 10803 times)

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Gluten Free Pies with Zinc
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »
Happy to help dave ;D  I only wish this kind of info was out there when I was diagnosed celiac.

I am using a stone on the bottom rack, which in my oven sits maybe 1/2" over the heat element. I used to parbake for some older recipes that I have since dropped, but with these I just make sure to sufficiently flour a piece of parchment paper which sits on a flat pan. This allows me to make the crust, and then grip both the paper and pan while shaking lightly in a circular motion in order to get the crust to move freely. After that, just load as normal, give one last shimmy shake to make sure the pie moves, and launch that badboy in.

Yeah, finding info about the correct composition of these flours seems to be a pain online. It took a call to the Caputo people out here for me to get some straight answers initially. I will check out your thread, as I have spent a lot of time reversing other flour mixes over the years, and see if I can think of anything that might help.

If you have any more questions about my process, fire away.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »
Thanks, that's really generous of you, and great info!

With my two attempts at recreated FioreGlut, I just used a well-floured peel, and was able to get it moving onto my stone without too much trouble.  I may try that parchment paper idea though, it sounds less messy.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »
Forgot to mention, I'd definitely welcome any input you might be able to provide on my FioreGlut reverse engineering thread.  I'd be especially interested in details of the conversation you had with the Caputo people!

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
Zinc- have you tried the parchment paper without flour?  It should stick while it's wet and then as it cooks easily pull away.

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
I have tried that, but have stopped for two reasons. The first being at 550F the parchment burns quick, and is one more thing to have to clean off my stone. The second being that I am trying to keep the heat in the oven as high as possible, and opening it twice is letting too much out to recover quick enough in the short time these are cooking.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
The SuperPeel Pro works wonders getting GF pizzas off the counter and into any oven. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
Thanks Red, I was going to order a superpeel before, but it is just a little too wide for the smaller wfo I am getting, which has an opening of just under 14".

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 12:08:53 AM »
Got a new toy in yesterday to start playing with tomorrow :chef: Will post results :pizza:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:10:26 AM by Zinc »

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Thanks Red, I was going to order a superpeel before, but it is just a little too wide for the smaller wfo I am getting, which has an opening of just under 14".

Give Gary a call at SuperPeel. He is currently making a special, smaller one for a small, cast-iron bread oven that's on KickStarter. He can't say YES, unless you ask!  ;D

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »
Zinc,

Sweet!  Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

By the way, I ran across a Gluten Free dough recipe from Peter Reinhart on Craftsy, it might be different than others you've tried.  You have to register to see it, but he has an entire pizza class for free, and bonus video #6 is a gluten free recipe.

You can find it here:  http://www.craftsy.com/lecture/bonus-lesson-gluten-free-pizza/1847.html# 

The first class starts here:  http://www.craftsy.com/lecture/welcome-to-your-free-mini-class/1596.html 

Here's a screenshot of the video.

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »
red kiosk- thanks for the heads up, I will definitely look into it.

Johnny- Thanks, and also thanks for the links. I will sign up and check it out.

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »
Well, yesterday I made 3 pizzas, two small initial pizzas which I cooked for lunch after the burn-in, and an additional pizza for dinner with my wife. I still have a really long way to go with learning the proper fire management.

The first pizza was pretty good, though I lost half to a bad launch. It cooked in 60 sec @ a temp of 900F. The second pizza which came out a bit better, with great bubbling and spotting. Unfortunately these were eaten too quick to snap a pic. The second was cooked @850F for 80 sec.

Later in the night, I fired it back up, but I wasn't able to let it really saturate with heat due to time constraints, so the pizza took a minute and 45 sec @ 800F.

All three pizzas were incredibly tender and light, I am most definitely a wfo convert as they were the best gf pies I have ever made/tasted.

Here are some pics of that third pie (after I already started to cut into it). And again, please be kind, I still have tons of practice needed to get this right.

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »
Excellent.  What recipe did you use?

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
Thanks, I used:

125G Fiore Glut (Old, non wheat starch version)
115G H20
1G Yeast
2G Salt

Mixed, Balled, Rise @ Room temp for 5 hours under wet towel.

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »
Looks really good Zinc,
It does look light and airy!
Pat

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
Third try in the new oven:

1:45 @800F w/ Prosciutto and Pineapple

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
While I'm waiting for my replacement oven to come in, I decided to try my hands at a pan style pizza. I only had a small cast iron dutch oven to work with, so I thought I would give it a shot. It came out pretty tasty, similar to pizza hut style I suppose, with it's oily crunchy crust (it's been a while since I have had ph).

-----------------------------------

Here is my recipe that I tried to adapt to it :

120g Mix of brown/white rice flour
34g sorghum flour
125g tapioca starch
14g Expandex modified tapioca starch (could probably also use ultra-tex, but would need to adjust amount)
1 tsp guar gum
3/4 - 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil + 2T for oiling pan
2 large egg whites
3/4 C almond milk (could also use reg dairy milk)

1)Whisk dry together
2)Add wet and mix thoroughly
3)spread into oiled pan, cover with saran wrap and let rest @ room temp for 2 hours
4)Add topping and cook in preheated oven @550F for 15 minutes

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
Great job there, Zinc, looks fantastic.  I take it you're in the USA?  I've been trying to find a place to get Expandex up here in Canada, and I've had no luck.  There's a place I think that ships from the States, but it's an arm and a leg for shipping cost.

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
Thanks Dave,

Here is a link to a page with a Canada office, you could probably call and see if they can point you in the right direction.

http://www.ingredion.us/Pages/contactus.aspx

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, Zinc.  I'll give the Canada office a shout.  Funny bit...I clicked on your link, and the first thing I saw on the page was "Bridgewater"....I almost had a heart attack, Bridgewater is just 30 minutes away from me, I go there all the time!!  Then I saw it was Bridgewater, New Jersey, not Bridgewater, Nova Scotia....lol!