Author Topic: Pizza Bible Store Not Working  (Read 667 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Pizza Bible Store Not Working
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
Does anyone purchase flour or malt through www.thepizzabible.com?  The site is there, and the store is browsable, but they don't appear to answer queries, and when I try to place an order, I get as far as adding items to my cart.  When I then try to proceed to checkout, I get a page that says checkout is disabled.  The only advice offered is to hit the back button.  Anyone here buy from them?  Are they no longer selling?  Am I missing a trick?  I want some superlative flour and DMP!!!

- GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizza Bible Store Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:53:31 AM »
GB,

You might try calling this number.   (435) 752-6625

Norma

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Thank you, Norma!  I'll let you know what happens.   :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:15:35 PM »
Thank you, Norma!  I'll let you know what happens.   :chef:

GB,

I copied the information and phone number off of the bag at market today

Keith Guisto Bakery Supply
Central Milling
Item:  C051202K
5 lbs.

phone:  877-979-BAKE

Norma

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:41:42 AM »
And yet another thanks!  Fame has not spoiled you!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:57 AM »
Does anyone purchase flour or malt through www.thepizzabible.com?  The site is there, and the store is browsable, but they don't appear to answer queries, and when I try to place an order, I get as far as adding items to my cart.  When I then try to proceed to checkout, I get a page that says checkout is disabled.  The only advice offered is to hit the back button.  Anyone here buy from them?  Are they no longer selling?  Am I missing a trick?  I want some superlative flour and DMP!!!

- GB

Is DMP a part of your dough recipe these days? I've been needing to order some to mess with.
Ryan

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »
And yet another thanks!  Fame has not spoiled you!!!   ;D ;D ;D

GB,

I posted the last bag of LDM I purchased at Central Milling at Reply 387 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.msg433765#msg433765  When I went to Central Milling website recently to purchase some again I couldn't find the LDM.  I then contacted Tony G. and asked him how I can go about purchasing some.  Tony then introduced me to Nicky Giusto by an email yesterday.  I will wait and see what Nicky Giusto has to say.  http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/meet-the-maker-nicky-giusto-of-central-milling/

Let us know if you have any luck in getting some.   :)

Norma

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:50:06 PM »
Thanks, Norma!  I'm looking around.  Seems as if the Lintner value on most products I've found is 60.  Saw one that was uncut and gave a value of over 200.  I seem to recall that LDM comes in at 20.  Does the amount to use in a recipe vary inversely with the score?  For example, if I use DMP with a value of 60, should I use 1/3 as much by weight in a recipe calling for LDMP with a value of 20?  Seems logical, but sometimes that doesn't make it true...  ::)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:04:33 PM »
Thanks, Norma!  I'm looking around.  Seems as if the Lintner value on most products I've found is 60.  Saw one that was uncut and gave a value of over 200.  I seem to recall that LDM comes in at 20.  Does the amount to use in a recipe vary inversely with the score?  For example, if I use DMP with a value of 60, should I use 1/3 as much by weight in a recipe calling for LDMP with a value of 20?  Seems logical, but sometimes that doesn't make it true...  ::)

GB,

Yes, the Lintner value does dictate how much can be used in a dough formulation.  If too much is used at a high Linter value the dough will get too soft.

You can do an Advanced Search using Peter's screen name Pete-zza and search about Lintner values on different diastatic malt powders.  This is one of his posts at Reply 411  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.msg446986#msg446986

Maybe Peter will chime in too.

I wanted to tell you that Tony G. sent me an email and said the person that manages the Pizza Bible website has personal problems right now and hopefully Tony can get things straightened out soon so people can order the LDM from the link you used.

I still can't get any LDM either.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
GB,

There are many types and brands of diastatic malt (DM), ranging from about 200-220 degrees Lintner for the pure stuff to around 20 degrees Lintner for the diastatic malt that is cut with other ingredients to form LDM products. The other ingredients are typically flour, barley malt and a form of sugar, of which dextrose is a popular choice. The sequence and amounts of those ingredients dictate the final degrees Lintner number. But what I discovered when I researched the subject is that the producers of the LDM products often misstate the sequence of the ingredients. And it is hard to get the correct sequence because the people you are likely to talk to or exchange emails with do not have the answers. In one instance, I actually had an exchange with a technical person at AB Mauri about their particular sequence that appeared to be wrong, and for which I was thanked for bringing the matter to their attention, as I discussed at Reply 169 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.msg353229;topicseen#msg353229.

The above said, if you have a particular DM or LDM product of a given degrees Lintner number, I think you are safe in dividing it into a smaller amount along the lines you suggested. But to do this correctly, you will want to know the degrees Lintner number for the particular product and brand called for in the recipe you are using. In Tony G's case for his recipe, it is a LDM from AB Mauri. In your case, you might benefit from--and find amusing if not confusing--by reading a post by Mitch (mitchjg) who approached King Arthur with essentially the same question you raised. The post is Reply 82 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.msg349179#msg349179

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
GB,

I almost forgot that I ordered the AB Mauri Low Diastatic Malt Powder from The New York Bakers the first time I ordered it.  This is the link to where to order.

http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=60   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
GB,

I ordered some of the AB Mauri Low Diastatic Malt Powder from The New York Bakers website I posted in the last post today.  It was shipped out today, and is supposed to be 2 day priority mail.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 07:54:41 AM »
The order of AB Mauri Low Diastatic Malt Powder, from The New York Bakers, did get to my place in two days.  It is one pound.  A nice amount if someone wants to try LDM.

Norma

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Thank you so much, Norma!  Sounds as if I should have no problem getting my hands on some now.  And thank you Peter for the info as well.  I'll let you know how it works out.

- GB  :chef:

Online waynesize

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
I just ordered one pound of Red Star DMP (60) for $3.49 with $5.96 for shipping.  I had a $10 gift card, so it did not cost me a thing. I always hate paying mor for shipping than the product, but I was okay with it since it was not out of my pocket.  This should last me a long time.

Wayne

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
The order of AB Mauri Low Diastatic Malt Powder, from The New York Bakers, did get to my place in two days.  It is one pound.  A nice amount if someone wants to try LDM.

Norma
Norma,

I see there's no Lintner value on the label of the bag you bought, and when I went on nybakers.com and looked at the product page, http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=60, that info's not listed either.  Do you happen to know?  If not I guess I'll contact them and see if I can find out.

Thanks again,

- GB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:11:47 PM »
Norma,

I see there's no Lintner value on the label of the bag you bought, and when I went on nybakers.com and looked at the product page, http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=60, that info's not listed either.  Do you happen to know?  If not I guess I'll contact them and see if I can find out.

Thanks again,

- GB

GB,

Look at Peter's post at Reply 246 and read the 4th paragraph.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34845.msg359969#msg359969  AB Mauri low-diastatic malt is a degrees 20 Lintner value.

Norma

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 11:40:41 PM »
And thank you once again!