A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Baking pizza on parchment paper  (Read 11079 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Baking pizza on parchment paper
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »
Parchment paper has become an invaluable tool in my business.  I have no problem at all baking laminated cracker crusts on them and was wondering what would happen baking a homemade 67% hydrated American style pizza crust.  First off, you don't need any corn meal, or flour to let your pizza slide.  Just dress the dough on the parchment and slide into the oven.  This pizza was baked the entire time on the parchment, and I can't see where the parchment hindered this pizza in any way...the oven was 565 degrees.  This certainly would be an easy method for a beginning pizza guy!!

John

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: Baking pizza on parchment paper
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
I used parchment for years with good results
Deb

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
I always use parchment. Too much mess in my tiny kitchen without it.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »
That undercarriage shot is another nail in the pizza stones absorb water myth.

Thanks for posting John.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »
and I can't see where the parchment hindered this pizza in any way...the oven was 565 degrees.  This certainly would be an easy method for a beginning pizza guy!!

John

Yep.  I always recommend it to the friends I've tried to turn on to "baking your own".

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
I started off just using a peel with pretty good results. As time went on I decided to use parchment paper. My reasoning was if I spent all that time prepping and getting the pie ready, I did not really want a launch disaster. Then I would have to wait another 2 days to try again. I remove the paper after the skin is set, about 3 minutes, then it stays on the stone till finish. I have not noticed any decrease in the rise of the rim or browning. Though I have thought about trying just the peel again. I have not had any problems launching with the parchment. Of course if I got a Blackstone or WFO, no more paper, and I would have to improve my launching skills.

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
I can launch from a peel just fine but just prefer the ease of parchment. Does not hinder the pizza in the slightest and makes my life so much easier. I'll post pics of my kitchen so you can actually see how small it is. When I was using a peel I had flour everywhere over everything. On me, the floor, the sink, the oven! Walking in kitchen becomes a hazard from the semolina...Like walking on balls!!!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »
I'd like to give this a try..So how you you physically transfer the parchmentl to the stone/steel? Just by hand, or do use use a baking sheet or similar to slide it onto the stone/steel?

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Baking sheet or similar...your peel will work fine too

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:46:50 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
Let us know how you get on and your thoughts

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
Bill,

For some tips on using parchment paper you might take a look at the following post and the links referenced therein:

Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11844.msg110675;topicseen#msg110675

There are also some other good posts in the same thread.

Peter

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
Thanks Peter..I'll check that out!

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
Long winded in my opinion. Get a sheet of parchment. Eye ball it for size ( I do) place it on peel. Form skin. Top. Place on parchment via peel. Stretch if needs on parchment. Rip off any excess parchment around pizza but leave a lip at front to pull paper from. Transfer to oven. Pull parchment anytime after 2 mins or so. Again go from experience and eyeball it. (We all decent enough to know when a skin has set) bake for desired time and hey presto!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:53:35 PM by Harsh2206 »

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
Sometimes I don't understand how some things can get so complicated. That post is immense.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
"That post is so immense," that I thought about using a paper hole punch for notebook binders on the parchment paper to get more contact with the stone. That's just nuts :-D

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 02:47:14 AM »
Hahaha

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
I use parchment paper for lower temp desert pizzas (the liquid aspect of some fruit pies means you cannot launch with a pull without spillage), my standard NY or Neo are at 700F+ the parchment won't make it in my Blackstone.

I also use it for garlic buds that are about 80% hydration.
 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=38236.0

Here is a trick for all those with launch issues.
1. Place the pizza on the parchment paper, cut around the pizza within 1/2 inch to reduce scorching at high temperature.
2. Launch the pizza into oven even at high temp .
3. After about a minute to 2 depending on heat take it out with a peel, paper and all.  Place it on a flat clean sheet pan or pizza pan.
4. Hold the paper down with your hand (the pan will have cooled it enough to do this) and slide the peel (steel is the best for this) between the pizza and paper.
5. Re launch the pizza it wont stick.

Before I got my wooden peel for launching (steel ones just don't work for me), this is how I launched every pizza.

Besides this allows you to re-use the parchment if you want.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
Here is a trick for all those with launch issues.
1. Place the pizza on the parchment paper, cut around the pizza within 1/2 inch to reduce scorching at high temperature.
2. Launch the pizza into oven even at high temp .
3. After about a minute to 2 depending on heat take it out with a peel, paper and all.  Place it on a flat clean sheet pan or pizza pan.
4. Hold the paper down with your hand (the pan will have cooled it enough to do this) and slide the peel (steel is the best for this) between the pizza and paper.
5. Re launch the pizza it wont stick.

Before I got my wooden peel for launching (steel ones just don't work for me), this is how I launched every pizza.

Besides this allows you to re-use the parchment if you want.

Easier is to leave the pizza on the stone, after a minute or two just to take a pair of tongs and grab the parchment paper and pull out while using a spatula or peel to keep the pizza from sliding with the paper. You can also use the spatula or peel to lift the pizza a bit off the paper to break any contact. Long handled grilling tongs and spatula work fine.
Davydd

Offline Harsh2206

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 04:02:02 AM »
Why all the faff? Take it out, slide this between it, oil it's bollocks, take it to the fairground. You've just lost most of the heat you built up in oven with this overly long winded process.

It's just a piece of parchment. Davydd got it down as I did a few posts earlier. Just open oven and pull the paper out.

wordpress