A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Oven - Pan Pizzas  (Read 766 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Breville Oven - Pan Pizzas
« on: May 08, 2020, 07:49:23 PM »
A master thread with links on all things baked in Breville Oven is located here:

List of Threads on the Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo

This thread is for pan pizzas, which the Breville is remarkably effective at by virtue of its ability to separately control the deck and top temps. Over time, I'll put links in this thread to the existing pan pizzas links in other threads:

Egg, Bacon, Sausage, Muenster cheese, Tomato Pan pizza
Bacon, Potato, Herb Oil Pan Pizza
Cheesesteak Pan Pizza

Please add posts to this thread about your efforts to bake pan pizzas in the Breville oven. Questions welcome. Please keep on topic!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Breville Oven - Pan Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 11:03:47 AM »
Breville Pan Pizza #1 - Intro

In the following series of posts, I will demonstrate the methods I use for baking pan pizzas in the Breville oven. Of course, great pan pizzas have been baked for years in other ovens using a variety of methods, but I will document here how I make some of the best pizzas of any style I have ever eaten. The main benefit of this oven is how easy it is to set a high temperature for the deck to give a perfectly crispy or caramelized crust and a lower top temperature so that the toppings are evenly baked at the same time. 

My plan is for posts to cover these topics:
  • Pan selection
  • Pan preparation
  • Dough
  • Toppings
  • Baking
  • Storing/reheating

Please post here about your own Breville pan pizza attempts.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
I did a pan pizza in the Breville last night.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34282.msg621611#msg621611 
Deb

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
An ex chef from Giordano's (which was always my favorite in school back in the early 90s) did a Chicago deep dish pizza on the Breville Virtual Pizza Tour yesterday.  Looked pretty good.  Will try the recipe next week.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »
A master thread with links on all things baked in Breville Oven is located here:

List of Threads on the Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo

This thread is for pan pizzas, which the Breville is remarkably effective at by virtue of its ability to separately control the deck and top temps. Over time, I'll put links in this thread to the existing pan pizzas links in other threads:

Egg, Bacon, Sausage, Muenster cheese, Tomato Pan pizza
Bacon, Potato, Herb Oil Pan Pizza
Cheesesteak Pan Pizza

Please add posts to this thread about your efforts to bake pan pizzas in the Breville oven. Questions welcome. Please keep on topic!
Bill, what was your dough weight for the egg/bacon pan pizza?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 01:07:43 PM »
Bill, what was your dough weight for the egg/bacon pan pizza?

384g

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
I don’t have Peter Reinharts book, but I tracked down an article on his method. Good overview.
Here’s my first attempt: 385gr (thanks Bill!) dough is KABF, 80%HR, 2.8 salt, .5 ADY. Mixed afternoon, several folds, overnight in fridge, in the pan To proof at noon, baked at 6pm. 675 bottom, 500 top.
Cheese: grande whole milk Mozz; tomatoes are sclafani with Trader Joe’s bomba calabrese to add a little kick; Trader Joe’s sweet italian chicken sausage; sweet peppers; fresh oregano + chives from the driveway patch.....this is a keeper. SO delicious. Creamy, pillowy crust. Nice Frico. The only thing i might change is to up the dough weight next time, maybe 10%, to get a bit more thickness.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 10:34:31 PM »
That looks great
Deb

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »
stunning!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
Breville Pan Pizza #2 - Pan Selection

What pans, other than the stock one included with the Breville, are you using? I've tried a bunch. Here are some brief observations, links, and a little video:

Pan Shape: Rectangular vs. Round
The main styles of traditional pan pizzas are usually baked in a rectangular pan, which yields a higher ratio of delicious edge than a round pan. But the small baking chamber of the Breville is round. You can fit a rectangular 1/8 sheet pan, but you get a smaller pizza than an 11" round pizza (62 vs. 95 sq. in). If you prefer a sloping side, a round pie pan should work, but I haven't tried this in the Breville. 

Pan Construction
You don't need a heavy, metal pan since the Breville can hit and maintain deck and air temps in excess of 750F. The pizza gets all of the heat it needs as fast as it needs it throughout the baking to achieve whatever kind of crust you want. I like a golden, crispy crust and for any cheese in contact with the pan to be deeply caramelized. The blackened cheese effect has been easy to achieve.

As an avid baker, I have all kinds of pans for cakes, pies, tarts, etc. Here the three I use most in the Breville:

American Metalcraft 11" Pan
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-hc4011-11-x-1-hard-coat-anodized-aluminum-straight-sided-pizza-pan/124HC4011.html

Lids
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B004FNWBNW/?tag=pmak-20

Pan Gripper
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B000W0EMFW/?tag=pmak-20

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »
Bill, those American Metalcraft pans look like they would be great for doing Boston South Shore-style bar pizzas.

We want to see your little mini pan pizzas!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 07:27:24 AM »
The only thing i might change is to up the dough weight next time, maybe 10%, to get a bit more thickness.
If you increase the dough thickness, you may want to play with the temps. This oven excels at getting the crust, crumb, and toppings done at the same time.    My gameplan has been to bake these pizzas as quickly as possible.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »
If you increase the dough thickness, you may want to play with the temps. This oven excels at getting the crust, crumb, and toppings done at the same time.    My gameplan has been to bake these pizzas as quickly as possible.
Good point- I should be more incremental if I change it. That combination of temp/dough weight that I took from your example was pretty satisfying. I didn’t time it, but it was a very fast bake.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 09:21:18 PM »
Breville Pan Pizza #3 - Clarified Butter for the Pan

The only thing I do to prepare the pan to get the crust I desire is to coat the inside of the pan with about 3 tablespoons of fat. I love using clarified butter in the pan (and also in the dough). The process, shown below, is easy, and mainly involves slowly cooking off all the water. The solids are browned, which adds a wonderful nutty flavor. It is then strained.

You can use cheap butter. Great for all kinds of dishes including roasted vegetables in the Breville. It is supposed to keep for a long time, even unrefrigerated, but we use it within a week or two.

~25% loss in weight due to evaporation of water and straining of solids
446g of house-brand supermarket butter yielded 337g clarified butter

In addition to the great flavor, clarified butter will release very little smoke when baking pan pizzas in the Breville. If you give it a try, report your impressions in this thread. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »
This is a work in progress of what is turning out to be one of my favorite pan pizzas. Right now it is more like thin focaccia for sandwiches,  but I have visions of topping it once I perfect the base:

For two pizzas, 375g of dough each:

350g bread flour
50g whole wheat flour
11g salt

266g water
100g active starter
10g honey

lots of clarified butter (I'll measure precisely next time)

Divide in half
Ferment in bowls coated with clarified butter @65F for 8 hours
Overnight in fridge
Stretch in pan and proof at room temp until 1" thick
Brush with clarified butter (next time no salt sprinkled on top)
Bake in Breville (see video above)

Definitely going in the right direction. Stay tuned.   

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 08:20:39 PM »
Today’s Breville pan....400g doughball. This dough was accidentally left in the freezer overnight; thawed, proofed + baked next day.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
I just ordered a couple American Metalcraft Pans. 11" and some 6".    The link above has a minimum quantity of 5 so I looked around a little - I ordered from here   https://www.restaurantsupply.com/american-metalcraft-hc4011   They didn't have the covers but did have pan separators which just look like they are an aluminum disc and inexpensive.   They also had the pan gripper.  They do charge shipping but it didn't seem outrageous. 
Deb

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 07:55:38 PM »
For two pizzas, 400g of dough each:

350g Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour
50g whole wheat flour
11g salt

266g water
100g active starter