A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 388995 times)

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #660 on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
Mine were so greasy - two applications of oven cleaner took care of the grease but the pans still have a thick almost carbon coat on them (on the outside). I didn't think they were made from aluminum but sure enough they are not magnetic. I plan to put one in my grill and cook it at 900 degrees to see what happens - I know it will remove the carbon but not sure what will happen to the pan. If it goes to the pizza gods - so be it - at least it will go clean.....
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline rasj

« Reply #661 on: August 21, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
I gave oven cleaner a try on the bottom and it eventually took off some of the grey  coating. I think I'd rather have that so I will go with scraping and  soap and water. Also pans are non magnetic so must be made of aluminum.
Same here with similar results. I got the bottom of the pans pretty clean though  and revealed a manufacturer's number. One pan has "CM 01 13" and the other one is "CM 02 13".

These may be made by Chicago Metallic, which would make sense.

Edit: They could be old little Ceasars pans. There's a case of new ones on ebay that looks like them
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273408186695
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:29:38 PM by rasj »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #662 on: August 21, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
I don’t wash the outsides at all.
Hans

Offline surgtech2006

• Make Pizza, not war
« Reply #663 on: August 21, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
Washing the outside of these new-to-me pans because it's not "my" grease.. Lol.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #664 on: August 21, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
Confirmed - anyone want to buy some dirty ones  :-D
Norm

Offline RetroRayGun

• Pizza + Sci-Fi movies = A fantastic evening.
« Reply #665 on: August 21, 2018, 09:27:06 PM »
If it goes to the pizza gods - so be it - at least it will go clean.....

LOL  :-D
“He who controls the SAUCE controls the universe.”
― Frank Herbert, Dune

Offline julius_sanders

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #666 on: August 26, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
Somebody has experiences with the Detroit Lloyd Pans? I have 2 and I think they a working good, but seem a lot more expensive then other brands and types. Or somebody had the possibility to compare different pans?

thx :)

Offline podein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #667 on: August 26, 2018, 08:22:34 PM »
Restaurant Equippers in Southfield Michigan sells steel Detroit Style Pizza Pans that are hands down the best. 8X10 costs $12 and 10X14 costs $12.50. They are unseasoned so you need give a few coats of Crisco before using them and you can never -- NEVER -- get them wet, but treat them right and they will make your dinner into a little slice of heaven.

https://www.equippers.com/detroit-style-8-x-10-rectangular-steel-pizza-pan/1212332.asp

https://www.equippers.com/detroit-style-10-x-14-rectangular-steel-pizza-pan/1212325.asp

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #668 on: August 26, 2018, 10:43:13 PM »
These are twice the price but they are no hassle and work perfect.  https://detroitstylepizza.com/product/detroit-style-pizza-pan/
Hans

Offline podein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #669 on: August 27, 2018, 01:15:58 AM »
HBOLTE,

Your pans are aluminum, and as much as they try to be, they are NOT the same as steel pans. There is about a 100 degree difference in efficacy. STEEL makes a difference in seasoning, flavoring and carmelization that you cannot match with the bastard aluminum. And after about four pizzas, your steel pans are so perfectly seasoned that are 100% Buddy's/Shield's quality and will remain so for you lifetime. Seriously, my ex wife and I fought over the pans during our divorce.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #670 on: August 27, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »
I have both. They bake almost identically.
Hans

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #671 on: August 27, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
I think aluminum is more conductive than steel - heck about 6 or 7 years ago I made a great pie using a Scan Pan - heavy dark aluminum works great - if not exactly the same it seems like you could adjust cooking temp/process to get them exactly the same post bake. Likely pie shops don't want to mess with coated thick aluminum pans - the coating can get scuffed and they cost more - for home use you can be careful with the coating and you are not buying a thousand pans.

My 2 cents :-)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:06:39 AM by norcoscia »
Norm

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #672 on: August 27, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »
I think aluminum is more conductive than steel - heck about 6 or 7 years ago I made a great pie using a Scan Pan - heavy dark aluminum works great - if not exactly the same it seems like you could adjust cooking temp/process to get them exactly the same post bake. Likely pie shops don't want to mess with coated thick aluminum pans - the coating can get scuffed and they cost more - for home use you can be careful with the coating and you are not buying a thousand pans.

My 2 cents :-)

I agree. The Detroit Style Pizza Co. uses the PSTK pans. You do have to be a bit more careful.
Hans

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #673 on: August 28, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
For those of you trying to clean the ebay pans I found that a razor blade scraper did pretty good. It did not damage the coating. I think the coating kept the stuff from baking onto the pan. My oven cleaner one does not scrape as easy as one left alone.
Marty

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #674 on: September 10, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »
Never made Detroit style but wanted to try the ebay pans. Overall very happy. Did one pan with a 76% dough and a second pan with my usual 65% dough. Detroit dough from KA because it was quick. Baked at 500 deg one level down from center. About a 15 minute bake. Detroit was fine. Nice crunch but bottom maybe a little overdone. My 65% pizza were more overdone with a darker bottom. Learned a lot and will try Detroit again. Maybe go to middle of oven but keep 500 deg. Very slight sticking on side but they really came right out of the pan. Baked both pans at same time. Hope to use these and get 4 different toppings at one bake. Future experiments for my regular pizza, maybe. It does fine in a 12" round.
Anyway Detroit well accepted by my family so I guess I'm adding this to the menu. Like the pans.
Marty

Offline podein

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #675 on: September 11, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
I'm sorry. I am a Detroiter born and bred and lived here all my life. Neither one of those pies looks anything like a Detroit style pizza.

A real Detroit style pizza will be black all the way around the edge where the brick cheese has filled the crack between dough and pan and then caramelized in the high heat before being pried away from hot steel by a spatula. No offense, but your cheese isn't caramelized. This just isn't a Detroit style pizza.

If you are serious about our eats, spend the $12.50 and get a real uncoated Detroit steel pan and season it yourself. Aluminum is NOT the same. The coating is a major negative. I hope the family enjoyed them and all, but take that next step, dude. You will be grateful that you did.

Offline MikesPizzaTX

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #676 on: October 04, 2018, 02:34:44 PM »
After getting through this post I'm going to try recipe on #199 tomorrow, any last minute tips?  I'm without the pans, but i have a cast iron lasagna dish that is 9.5x13.5 that I plan to use and just cut a little of the dough out.  I also have a 12" cast iron (coated) skillet to make a second one.  The lasagna dish has high walls and the skillet has medium high sides.

After all the talk about the steel pans I couldn't find much or any mention of anyone ever using cast iron, do you think I'm headed for disaster?  Will it change the cook?  15 minutes @550 seems the way to go?

Would love to hear what you guys think.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #677 on: October 06, 2018, 12:01:51 AM »
I'm sorry. I am a Detroiter born and bred and lived here all my life. Neither one of those pies looks anything like a Detroit style pizza.

A real Detroit style pizza will be black all the way around the edge where the brick cheese has filled the crack between dough and pan and then caramelized in the high heat before being pried away from hot steel by a spatula. No offense, but your cheese isn't caramelized. This just isn't a Detroit style pizza.

If you are serious about our eats, spend the $12.50 and get a real uncoated Detroit steel pan and season it yourself. Aluminum is NOT the same. The coating is a major negative. I hope the family enjoyed them and all, but take that next step, dude. You will be grateful that you did.

This is a good post....shows a lot of class.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MikesPizzaTX

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #678 on: October 09, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
After getting through this post I'm going to try recipe on #199 tomorrow, any last minute tips?  I'm without the pans, but i have a cast iron lasagna dish that is 9.5x13.5 that I plan to use and just cut a little of the dough out.  I also have a 12" cast iron (coated) skillet to make a second one.  The lasagna dish has high walls and the skillet has medium high sides.

After all the talk about the steel pans I couldn't find much or any mention of anyone ever using cast iron, do you think I'm headed for disaster?  Will it change the cook?  15 minutes @550 seems the way to go?

Would love to hear what you guys think.

Well FYI, it was a bit of a disaster and also a bit of a success.  The cast iron lasagna pan did not work at all, I think it's just too thick and not the right tool for the job, the pizza took like 30 minutes to cook and the dough stuck to the bottom terribly.  The second I made in a circle pan that's cast iron but has a coating on it, that one was actually really quite good and slid right out.  It was pretty delicious and gave me the motivation to order a few of the right pans so I can give this another run.  I think the cast iron takes too long to heat up, once it gets to temp its great but the longer cook time isn't a good thing at all. 

Offline gspinelli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #679 on: October 09, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
I tried using one of those porcelain enamel coated steel lasagna pans, and it worked well except the bottom stuck somewhat and I had to chisel it out with a spatula. Otherwise it came out nice and crispy.