A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Customized 2Stone Pizza Pro  (Read 5431 times)

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Customized 2Stone Pizza Pro
« on: May 08, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »

I owned a Blackstone for almost two years, but it didn't take me long to realize that I thoroughly enjoyed baking pizzas by this method and eventually would find myself upgrading to a 2Stone. When I learned that Willard had recently sold the rights for the 2Stone to Blackstone, I knew I needed to act quick, as I didn't want to find out first hand, what Blackstone's price-point and their Chinese manufacturing might do to the original quality of Willard's 2Stone. When I inquired about the future of the "Pro" model, Willard sent me a message stating that his neighbor was contemplating selling his "lightly-used" Pro, as he was interested in Willard's new GWG. "Lightly-used" turned out to be "used only once" and I ended up getting a great deal on an essentially new 2Stone Pizza Pro. Willard met me half-way, we talked over a good breakfast and then he insisted on showing me the oven's setup and operation before I headed back to Chicago. On a side note, I think everyone, at least once in their lifetime, should share a meal with Willard. He's a trove of information regarding pizza, cooking and life in general. Quite the interesting guy!

The 2Stone was pretty dirty, having sat in a garage or barn for quite a while, so I decided to take it apart to thoroughly clean it. Taking it apart allowed me to really appreciate Willard's well-thought out design and his bullet-proof construction methods. This oven is built like an armored car and I'm seriously thinking of writing it into my Will!  I started thinking (which always scares my wife) and one thing led to another (which it usually does when I start thinking) and the thorough cleaning turned into a three-week customizing project!  I use "customized" and not "modified" to describe what I did, as the 2Stone needs no modifications to bake excellent Neapolitan pizzas, as Willard did an exceptional job of dialing everything in. I added things that would make this the perfect pizza oven for ME… lets just call it the 2Stone Pizza Pro "Red Kiosk Edition"! I followed Willard's lead with high-quality construction methods, stainless steel and heavy-duty materials throughout. Below are descriptions of what I ended up doing and some labeled pictures follow that.

Fold-Down Side Shelves With Accessory Hooks

I liked the side shelves on the Blackstone, but didn't like the level they were mounted at and the amount of real estate they took up when I parked it in the garage. For the 2Stone, I fashioned two, 18" x 16" 16 GA stainless steel shelves on stainless steel fold-down brackets and mounted them counter-height (36"). They snap-lock in the up position, easily release downward with hidden levers and snap tight against the oven body in the downward storage position. Stainless steel pull handles were added to easily lift the shelves up to the open position. Small "swing" stainless steel accessory hooks were added to the front edge of each shelf. Additional structural support for the shelf brackets was added inside the oven body with a 16 GA stainless steel wall corner guard that I had left over from a previous home project.

Electronic Igniter

I was able to source readily-available grill igniter parts and configure a clean design that works extremely well. Maybe it was a bit of over-kill, but I decided to further shield the silicone-jacketed electrode wire with a 1100ºF woven insulating sleeve. It's anchored and wrapped with a bit of stainless steel wire and stainless steel clips. A 3/4" hole was drilled in the upper front bar for the push button igniter (AAA battery) and the burner "sled" was notched to enable the electrode to be positioned next to the burner. Two more 3/8" holes were drilled, one in the left burner rail for placement of the electrode and another in the left corner of the top shelf for routing the electrode wire next to the igniter. To light the Pro, I pull the burner all the way forward and then push the igniter button. It works like it should! Extended full-blast trial runs could not produce any heat-related problems with the igniter system.

Burner Sled Limiting Bar

Since the burner "sled" just rests on the rails it slides on, bumping the control rod, leaning the Pro backward when moving it or navigating curbs, could dislodge the sled from the rails. If the burner was in the full forward position when it was dislodged, it might damage the closely-placed igniter electrode. I fashioned a stainless steel limiting bar and spacer that attaches to the bottom of the burner sled utilizing the bolt that holds the burner to the sled. This still allows the burner sled to slide front-to-back on the rails, but can lift upward only 1/16".

Front-Mounted  Motor Switch

I added a brass, water-proof push-pull ON/OFF switch for the motor. A 3/8" hole was drilled next to the gas control valve on the lower front bar. I had an old sewing machine foot-pedal extension cord that I cut apart, soldered and hen sealed with heat shrink tubing to the switch. It's now a small, separate harness that the motor and power extension cord plug into.

New Gas Control Knob

Easy upgrade… an off-the-shelf phenolic instrument knob with a 1/4" shaft hole and set screw.

Rear Foot Rest

I noticed right away when I wanted to move the Pro around, there was no spot to place your foot for leverage when leaning it back. I mounted a 3/4" x 6" stainless steel pull handle on the lower rear. A 3/16" x 3" x 18" stainless steel bar was attached inside for reinforcement and structural support.

Brushed Stainless Steel Finish

Since I had everything apart, it was now-or-never to apply a brushed-finish to the standard #2B stainless steel finish. A 10-pack of large 3M ScotchBrite Scouring Pads and in a couple of hours, it was transformed.

Front Pull Handle

I mounted an additional stainless steel pull handle on the front to facilitate positioning and moving the oven around from the front.

Extension Cord Hook

A stainless steel hook was added to the rear for storage of the power extension cord.

Textured Rubber Floor Mat

Keeps the propane tank from sliding around and damaging the floor.

Painted Wheels

What the heck, everything else was  torn part, why not the wheels too? I painted them with Krylon Stainless Steel Paint. 

Enough fun, time to get to work making pizzas! My SD starters have been woken up, they're eating well and moving around, so I'm looking forward to posting on the forum's "2Stone Pizza Pictures" thread soon. I'm also excited about roasting my own coffee.

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Customized 2Stone Pizza Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »
Some pictures…
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:02:36 PM by red kiosk »

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:53:10 PM »
More pictures…

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 06:55:22 PM »
More Pictures…

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 06:56:46 PM »
More Pictures…

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »
and the last of them!  :D

Offline jsaras

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »
That's the Ferrari of propane pizza ovens. Man!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
WOW!!!  Amazing work. Looks fantastic!
Pat

Offline live4u

• Supporting Member
  • Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 09:29:37 PM »
I cant stop saying WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW....That looks like a commercial grade. You should market these.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
OK, so you given us pictures of everything except the only one the thing that matters...

;)
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
Very nice work.  Can you supply more details about the ignitor -  where did you get it,  is the threaded portion steel or stainless steel,  did it come with the bend in the ignitor, or did you bend it?  As you know, the ignitors normally burn out pretty quick - my BS is still going strong, but I do want to start thinking about replacements before I need one. 

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 08:31:03 AM »
jsaras, zarbles, live4U,

Thanks for the compliments.

TXCraig1,

If you're referring to a picture of a pizza, those will be coming, as I finished the oven just yesterday. When I post them, they'll be on the dedicated "2Stone Pizza Pics" thread.

Have a great weekend and take care!

Jim

Offline Qarl

• Exploring the world of pizza, one pie at a time!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »
Holy Crap
Pizza, beekeeping, bourbon, banjos, home brewing, cooking in general, sous vide, lever espresso machines, coffee roasting, BBQ, etc.  I love to do it all and learn to make it for myself...

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »
Really nice work.  I want one!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »
Jim,

Your customized 2Stone Pizza Pro looks beautiful!  8)

Norma

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
Very nice work.  Can you supply more details about the ignitor -  where did you get it,  is the threaded portion steel or stainless steel,  did it come with the bend in the ignitor, or did you bend it?  As you know, the ignitors normally burn out pretty quick - my BS is still going strong, but I do want to start thinking about replacements before I need one.

Barry,

Thanks and thanks for bringing up the question as to what the threaded portion of the igniter is made of. It's not stainless steel and neither are the lock nuts (totally missed that). I had purchased an extra electrode as they were only $10 and it's easily replaced. My Blackstone's igniter was still going strong at just under the two year mark, but then again, the 2Stone is putting out more than twice the BTUs. This electrode was purchased with the bent tip, but there are YouTube videos of people bending them when they add an ignitor to their beer brewing set-ups. Now you have me thinking about a stainless steel electrode and it could easily be fabricated.  ::) A 1/8" x 3/4" stainless steel pipe nipple is available from McMaster Carr and so are the flat lock nuts. The ceramic electrode looks to be cemented into the threaded steel tubing with some high temperature ceramic adhesive…

http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/ROCKSETT-2-OZ-82p4019.htm

and there are plenty of electrodes out there to choose from. I just need one with at least a 25" wire attached. But I'll probably just wait and see how it this one holds up and how readily it rusts.

Here's a couple of links to places to explore and purchase electrodes, although I'm sure Blackstone would send you a replacement for little money as it seems most of their replacement parts are quite inexpensive.

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/bbqparts/igniter-electrodes.html

http://www.thebbqdepot.com/electrodes/grill-parts/ignitors/ 

Thanks again and take care!

Jim

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 11:21:26 AM »
Qarl, Chau and Norma,

Thanks!

Jim

Offline yorbar

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »
I want one just like this!

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 11:02:37 PM »
Just a quick update… The electronic igniter is holding up well, with no signs of any heat-related symptoms or visual damage. Also, I did drill another hole in the sliding burner sled to position the burner back about 3/4". This gives me the option for more flame rolling over the top with plenty of flame left to heat the stone.

Take care!

Jim

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 07:47:51 AM »
Jim,  glad to hear it is still doing well,  your upgrades are pretty slick.