A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Newbie Roma style.... if at first you don't succeed.....  (Read 1189 times)

Offline adambmi

• I Love Pizza!
Newbie Roma style.... if at first you don't succeed.....
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »
After being inspired / blown away by Johnny the Gent’s awesome pics throughout the Roma style threads, I’ve spent each of the past several  weekends trying to make my own pizza in teglia.  I am very much a pizza novice, and this has been a fantastic learning exercise (read: chock full of  idiotic /epic / hopefully one-off blunders).   I don't think Johnny's got anything to worry about by way of competition just yet, but I do think each of my pies has been progressively better than the last, something which I attribute entirely to the great info available here on the forum.  That said, thought I'd post some pics of the journey so far....

... with the notable exception of my first attempt, which was a total, certifiable pizza trainwreck, due to some very basic errors on my part.  I didn't allow sufficient rise time, I brutalized the dough in stretching and pressing into the pan, and I cooked on an unseasoned sheet.  This netted me a pie with a crumb somewhere between a pressed panini and an oatcake, which was also completely stuck to the bottom of the pan.  So depressing I was too upset to take a picture of it.

As for the rest, pics follow. 

For attempt 2 I used Pete's recipe (found here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1073.0.html, last post on the page).  I did a lot of concerted forum reading to try to address the issues from the prior week.   This resulted in a pie that, while perhaps not anything to write home about (my fault, not Pete's!!!) , still looked, smelled, and tasted like a pizza --  and was miles and miles ahead of my first one.  No topping pics, but I did this one with salami milano, roasted peppers, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and mozzarella di bufala, scamorza, porcini mushrooms, and smoked anchovies.

Attempt 3 was the "breakthrough" pie.  Of huge help here were (a) Marco’s recipe on this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2627.0.html (reply #3) and (b) this video of Gabrielle Bonci handling dough: .  Holes!  Fluffy!  Chewy!  I topped it with dried olives sundried tomatoes, prosciutto di parma, braised baby fennel, and wild capers.

Attempt 4 was my latest, and I must say I was very pleased with the result.  The recipe and workflow are effectively just a lightly modified version of Marco's, with higher hydration.  The crumb was open, very tender, airy, and the pie had a thin, crispy crust on both top and bottom.  I had my first indication that it was going to be good  when I picked up the first slice and was shocked by how light it was - my brain was telling me to expect something twice as heavy!  Topped half with tomato sauce, taleggio, homemade sausage, and radicchio, and the other half with taleggio, potatoes, smoked garlic, and rosemary.

My problem at the moment is what to cook this weekend: I'm torn on whether I should do a 5th pass Roma (pushing the hydration up to 90% and maybe doing a 2 day cold ferment of the poolish), or go have a crack at a NY pie!

Dough

•   100% flour (70/30 high protein Canadian bread flour / Semola remacinata)
•   85% hydration
•   5% EVO
•   2.5% Salt
•   0.7(ish)%  IDY
•   Thickness factor around .13(ish)

Workflow

•   Poolish at room temp overnight, then into the fridge until final mixing
•   Mix by hand -  4 rounds of stretch and folds in the mixing bowl with 15 minutes’ rest in between
•   Then, use a hand mixer with dough hooks 2-3 times, increasing speed each time, with 15 minutes rest.  Stop when dough temp reaches 77-78F
•   Bulk rise in mixing bowl until dough is roughly tripled in volume
•   Scrape (very gently) out of bowl and onto heavily floured surface, then prep dough per Bonci video above
•   Straight into the oven, parbake in lower deck of oven for 10 minutes at 475F with convection fan on
•   Remove and brush with EVO then another 10 minutes or so (pull out when bottom is sufficiently browned / crispy)
•   Brief rest & add sauce / toppings, then top and cook in middle rack until toppings are done

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Newbie Roma style.... if at first you don't succeed.....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:55:55 PM »
looks good!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T