A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Whats better ?? Hand stretched dough or rolled dough  (Read 9773 times)

Offline munish12345

• I Love Pizza!
Whats better ?? Hand stretched dough or rolled dough
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:12 AM »
Whats better guys ?? Hand streched / tossed dough or one thats done with a rolling pin ??? I read somewhere in the forum that using a rolling pin can harm the dough structure...

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: Whats better ?? Hand stretched dough or rolled dough
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
What style are you making? Rolling is appropriate for some; not so much for others. NY, definitely hand-stretch.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »
The rolling pin/sheeter will deflate the gas pockets, good for cracker crust and some "thins" but not so good anywhere you want a raised cornice (NY, Neapolitan) or a "poofy," thick crust like some american styles.
All the best, Dave

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »
You can also use a rolling pin or pie pin to open the dough to about 2/3 to 3/4 of full diameter and then finish opening the skin up to full diameter by hand tossing. Using this method you do not degas the dough as you would if you were to open it completely by rolling it out to full diameter. I used to teach this method in our seminars and it worked very well for those who were either new at opening the dough entirely by hand (toss challenged) or for those who continually had problems getting thin spots in the skin as a result of poor technique. I always found it surprising that after this method was mastered most would begin opening the dough entirely by hand. I've helped open a number of stores where this technique was employed and it works very well. I even use it, especially when I'm making calzones where I don't want to have any thin spots in the dough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
I think it is important to note that when rolling, if you want to keep a rise in the cornice, you can't roll the dough all the way -- in other words, you don't want to pinch the edge of the dough between the roller and the counter/table.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
I despise rolling pins but If I was going to do this I would use one of the little mini rollers designed to roll pizza and not a long one that will crush your crust.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline munish12345

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 01:55:46 PM »
Thanx Doctor Lehmann and members for your help...much appreciated...and would like to welcome more suggestions and comments and maybe if anyone has a video of proper rolling technique with the rolling pins or a hand rolled /stretched dough for pan pizza only
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:09:03 AM by munish12345 »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
When using a rolling pin be sure to keep your thumbs on TOP of the handles, not under them. This will give you better control over the rolling of the dough and also be sure NOT to allow the rolling pin to roll off of the edge of the dough, roll to the edge then stop and roll from a different direction. Pie pins are a bit easier to work with in that they are easier to manipulate on the dough and there is not so great a chance of rolling over the edge of the dough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »

The whole video is worth watching; he addresses rolling pins around 4:18.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline munish12345

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »
Wonderful video steve ...worth a lot...thanx and much appreciated

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 04:26:19 PM »
It depends on what you want. It's probably not something you would ever see for Neapolitan, and there are other styles like cracker that are always rolled out, but there are some in the middle that might surprise you. I don't know what you think of Jeff Varasano's pizzeria ranking, but the #1 place on his list roll out their dough. http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
it depends on what your customer base wants, everyone around me does sheeted dough, we do super thin hand tossed with a beautiful raised edge, and guess which place is gaining major popularity because of their crust style.................

I grew up with both styles, I love both, I like tossing dough down the line through the kitchen to the topping station, and the customers get a kick out of it too, oh, the pizza is good too.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!