A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Diastatic Malt--The Pizza Bible  (Read 94945 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Diastatic Malt--The Pizza Bible
« Reply #440 on: April 21, 2018, 09:18:56 PM »
Hey guys, quick question .. is the LDM adding much in terms of flavor or is it mostly just for color?

Flavor, color and texture: 

Umami
Sweetness
Improved browning from residual sugars and amino acids
Tenderizing via proteolysis

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #441 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:01 PM »

Umami
Sweetness

I'm still calling BS on that one in any realistic scenario. Don't really believe the umami either.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #442 on: April 22, 2018, 12:13:35 AM »
Well based off reply 123 in this thread the AB Mauri LDMP has 105 calories per 30g. Looking up calories for Domino Sugar it is 15 calories for 4g so 30g would be 112.5 calories. So the LDMP alone has less calories. Then if you figure in what Tony Gemignani said about using 3 times as much sugar as compared to malt. Theoretically you cut the sugar calories down by 1/3.

Plus not really related to the thread but Tony G said that having a 1-2 day cf is good because it gives the yeast time to eat and break down the sugars. I am not 100% sure if he was saying our bodies digest less of the sugars as a result, but he def. said we digest better and we feel better as a result.

32 min. in if you want to hear that.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #443 on: April 22, 2018, 01:07:09 AM »

Umami
Sweetness

Can we stop overthinking?
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #444 on: April 22, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »

With my convection oven and 2-3 day CF, I donít use any sugar and .20% LDM and easily get browning. Iím not sure I need it at all for browning and may test that soon.

I suspect if I were doing a same day dough it would be more necessary.

Jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #445 on: April 22, 2018, 07:26:07 AM »

Hey guys, quick question .. is the LDM adding much in terms of flavor or is it mostly just for color? 

Jeff,

I didn't do controlled experiments with using the regular formulation and also adding LDM, but didn't see much of any differences in adding LDM, expect the dough seemed to open a little easier. That was with a two day cold ferment using malted and bromated flour and added sugar.  Used it for months and then stopped when I couldn't purchase the LDM in a 5 lb. bag.  Just a few weeks ago added LDM again and didn't see enough of any difference to keep using LDM.  Didn't notice any flavor change in the crust.

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #446 on: April 23, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
Jeff,

For me, it definitely adds a complexity of flavor to my (rare)  same-day and next-day doughs...I actually was very pleasantly surprised. But for longer doughs, in my admittedly limited sample, it doesn't do anything for me, and if used in even slightly too high quantity ,is a negative  adding gumminess  .I can't quite recall how it affected the finished crumb, but I do remember it wasn't a good thing..

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #447 on: April 23, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »
For me, it definitely adds a complexity of flavor to my (rare)  same-day and next-day doughs...I actually was very pleasantly surprised. But for longer doughs, in my admittedly limited sample, it doesn't do anything for me, and if used in even slightly too high quantity ,is a negative  adding gumminess  .I can't quite recall how it affected the finished crumb, but I do remember it wasn't a good thing..

I was under the impression that diastatic malt was more suitable for indirect methods using preferments.  The malt is added in the second phase of mixing to increase fermentable sugars.  I guess it still has its place in direct doughs that are fermented for extended times.  In any case, I agree that an overdose of malt, like most other additives, is never a good thing.

Rolls
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:18:29 PM by Rolls »
"There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend."  -Bob Ross

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
« Reply #448 on: June 25, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »
we have been having fun with SD breads and pizza dough and find the topic of malting interesting.  The flours we use are either home ground which are for sure unmalted, and a flour from Arva Flour Mill (arvaflourmill.com) who claim "no preservatives bleaches or enhancers".

After reading the Pizza Bibble and several links with in this forum I decided to do a little test.  I very carefully and accurately put some fresh Arva, sourdough and water in two jars and then added about 1/8 tsp diastatic malt to one.  I expected that malt to make more sugars available to the the SD yeasts and we would see a faster rise.  If it happened that way it was a very small change.  The first photos below are about 12 hours.  The SD had risen to its peak at room temp and then began to collapse.  If there was no difference in the rise rate there sure was in the decline rate.  The SD with the malt collapsed MUCH slower than the plain.  The second picture is about 22 hours after mixing and there is still a considerable difference.   So is the yeast in the malted one getting more sugars and feeding longer or is the gluten forming better in the malted jar holding the gas better.  (PS  the jars are Weck jars from Crate and Barrel and with the straight walls inside are much better to work with than standard preserves jars )

Brent

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
« Reply #449 on: June 25, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
I decided to continue with this and feed the SD again this morning.   What was interesting was that when I stirred in exactly equal amounts of water, before adding more flour .... the levels in the jars became virtually equal.  This makes me suspect a difference in the (amount of) gluten and that it was holding more gas.   So I added in more flour and will see what happens during the day.
Brent

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
Brent,

With respect to the question you raised in your opening post, I would say that the results you achieved using the diastatic malt were due to the diastatic malt acting on the damaged starch in the flour to create more sugars to feed the SD. Gluten is formed by the addition of water or another liquid to the flour and then mixing. You may have done a bit of that in mixing the diastatic malt into the SD but if you didn't overmix the SD with the diastatic malt and otherwise treated both forms of the SD the same, the gluten development should have been minor. There may also have been some biochemical gluten development over time but, again, if you treated both forms of the SD the same, that difference might also have pretty much washed.

You can read more about how gluten is formed in normal doughs in the post at Reply 5 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=929.msg8419#msg8419

You can also read about the role of diastatic malt at Reply 46 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17555.msg179560;topicseen#msg179560

Peter

Offline Makisupapoliceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #451 on: July 16, 2018, 08:35:33 PM »
Hi please forgive me, but I did not read thru this whole thread. I just ordered non diastatic malt powder. is this compatible with pizza making? I meant to order low diastatic but made a mistake. hope this can work! :pizza:

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #452 on: July 16, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »
Non diastatic malt is just a flavoring/sweetener/sugar alternative. It's not enzymatically active and will not serve the same function as diastatic malt.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:54:55 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #453 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
Here is a source for Tony Gemignani's choice of LDMP.
http://www.giovannispecialties.com/product/tony-gemignani-low-diastatic-malt/

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
« Reply #454 on: March 04, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
while looking around for sources of diastatic malt in Canada I stumbled on this that is worth a giggle :D
Brent