A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Can I do this at 650 degrees?  (Read 977 times)

Offline Sayluv

• I Love Pizza!
Can I do this at 650 degrees?
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »
Hi-

I have Wolf range with a custom FibraMent stone that is 3/4" thick and has about 1" gap around the edges to the walls of the oven. I haven't checked in a while but even though the temperature gauge only goes to 500 deg I think I can get the stone itself up to 650 deg on the bottom rack.

I have been trying to get the cornice really airy and a bit of char on the bottom but haven't had much luck.  Also, can someone point to me a simple dough recipe that I should start with?

Thanks, j

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Can I do this at 650 degrees?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »
Does your Wolf have a "Stone" setting on the mode knob? An airy edge as well as char is definitely doable though categorizing the final crust as Neapolitan may be pushing it. I use a steel on top of the stone in my Wolf DF oven in Stone mode. The biggest challenge is to get the toppings done by the time the crust is done. I use a Searzall post-bake. Others use deflectors, reflectors, broilers, etc.     

Offline Sayluv

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Hi Bill-
I have been messing around with this for a few years now,  but recently joined this forum. I don't have a stone setting on my wolf. I have read that these steels are actually better heat conductors than stones. Is that your experience? I hadn't heard of them until about six months ago. Thanks, j

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
Sayluv,

For the effect you want, the more heat you can pump into the crust before the outside sets, the better. That is why I use a steel in my Wolf. I put the steel on top of my fibrament stone mainly because I was too lazy to remove it, but it could help for the steel to recover between pizzas.

At the risk of everyone rolling their eyes for me posting a link to my cheesy (pun!) video for the hundredth time, you should see this pizza I am baking in my Wolf on the steel. You'll see a very airy crust and near the end you'll catch a glimpse of the char on the underside.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress